The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 AM

Default Sunburst Gear - MM Series - M6BR8 Portable/Rechargable Mixer/Monitor

Hey folks! I just uploaded a review of the M6BR8, which is a 6 channel mixer/monitor from Sunburst Gear. At 24 lbs and 9''x9''x14'' - it's incredibly portable - it also has bluetooth and aux-in for listening to tunes or playing backing tracks! I love this thing and the natural sound and clarity is incredible - it also has an amazingly responsive 3-band EQ that lets you punch the low-end through while still holding onto the crisp highs. Never mind these words - go check out the videos and hear for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udBgVhwdCWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZXE2wt8iW0
Old 09-30-2015, 10:29 AM

Nice to see something fairly under the radar pop up. Can we hear one in Philadelphia or NYC?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:51 AM

I'm based in NYC - I'll be playing shows on the street and in smaller venues with it. The next one, besides impromptu busking, will be at Jimmy's No. 43 on October 21st. This is a variety show featuring musicians, spoken word, short stories and the like. Starts around 9 p.m.!
Old 09-30-2015, 12:07 PM

I'll be out busking too, with my Loudbox Mini through an inverter set-up. Maybe we could do a few songs through each and get an idea of how they compare?
Old 09-30-2015, 02:10 PM

Sure, message me at [email protected]
Old 09-30-2015, 03:31 PM

What is the power output. How many watts RMS does it put into the woofer and how many watts RMS does it out into the high frequency horn? Ric
Old 10-01-2015, 07:24 AM

As I mentioned on the Cube EX thread, I've been toying with getting something battery-powered for a while now, and I was getting lcoe to pulling the trigger on a Cube EX (still have to spend some time playing with the one my duo partner and bass-player owns). But this is also potentially attractive.

My main question is whether or not it gets loud enough and can disperse sound adequately. It looks to me like a small powered studio monitor in terms of design and I imagine it could sound very good at relatively close range, but how will it do out on a noisy street or in a rehearsal room with a couple of loud hand-drummers (that would be the things I'd be using it for).

I look forward to hearing more about the unit (or to getting a chance to try one out). It's certainly priced attractively and it's rich in useful features!

Louis
Old 10-01-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
What is the power output. How many watts RMS does it put into the woofer and how many watts RMS does it out into the high frequency horn? Ric
30W output. I don't know how to answer your other questions so I'll leave you with a link to the MM line and hopefully it will have the information you're looking for. http://www.sunburstgear.com/prod_speaker.html
Old 10-01-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
As I mentioned on the Cube EX thread, I've been toying with getting something battery-powered for a while now, and I was getting lcoe to pulling the trigger on a Cube EX (still have to spend some time playing with the one my duo partner and bass-player owns). But this is also potentially attractive.

My main question is whether or not it gets loud enough and can disperse sound adequately. It looks to me like a small powered studio monitor in terms of design and I imagine it could sound very good at relatively close range, but how will it do out on a noisy street or in a rehearsal room with a couple of loud hand-drummers (that would be the things I'd be using it for).

I look forward to hearing more about the unit (or to getting a chance to try one out). It's certainly priced attractively and it's rich in useful features!

Louis
Hi Louis,

I've played bar gigs with this thing and it fills the room, even with loud drunk people. With any audio system it's going to sound better in some places compared to others. Ideally, if you had a higher end model like the M6BR8 and then a lower end model and ran them in stereo I think you'd comfortably be able to play to a noisy, medium sized (80-100 people) room. Keep in mind this is a small, portable unit - it's not meant to fill a stadium. If you're playing a much larger space, use it as a personal monitor and play through the house system. I've played this thing outside (NYC) before and it's been great. It's not going to drown out a fire engine but it is plenty loud otherwise. I often will use my loop pedal and then sit on the cajon and jam along, I've also played with a pianist and it holds up against a baby grand piano just fine.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCguitar View Post
Hi Louis,

I've played bar gigs with this thing and it fills the room, even with loud drunk people. With any audio system it's going to sound better in some places compared to others. Ideally, if you had a higher end model like the M6BR8 and then a lower end model and ran them in stereo I think you'd comfortably be able to play to a noisy, medium sized (80-100 people) room. Keep in mind this is a small, portable unit - it's not meant to fill a stadium. If you're playing a much larger space, use it as a personal monitor and play through the house system. I've played this thing outside (NYC) before and it's been great. It's not going to drown out a fire engine but it is plenty loud otherwise. I often will use my loop pedal and then sit on the cajon and jam along, I've also played with a pianist and it holds up against a baby grand piano just fine.
Thanks for the extra details. I look forward to giving one of these a try some time. Are there any dealers who have them in NYC?

Louis
Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Thanks for the extra details. I look forward to giving one of these a try some time. Are there any dealers who have them in NYC?

Louis

I got it directly from the company - I don't know that they're in any retail stores on the east coast. Send them a message at [email protected] and tell them Kyle sent you.

Cheers,
Kyle
Old 10-02-2015, 07:34 AM

I wish it had some sort of reverb. Looks like a great little speaker.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 10-03-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallhadden View Post
I wish it had some sort of reverb. Looks like a great little speaker.
I use my TC electronic Hall of Fame with a rechargrable 9v which holds 6 hours of play time.

Last edited by NYCguitar; 10-08-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:27 PM

Awesome little amp!..PA
Yamaha cgx 122
Yamaha thr5a for Guitar
Yamaha thr5a for vocal
Old 04-01-2018, 11:02 PM

I have both this amp and really like it as well. I use it with a Boss AD-2 pedal which gives me a little reverb in addition to the body resonance effect. I use it with my Shure Beta 87A phantom powered mic which really makes a difference since they sound good with no EQ. I pull a little bass off the master 3 band eq and add it back on to the guitar from the onboard preamp.

Being only 30 watts, there is an upper limit to the volumes, but boy does it sound good at the volumes it can handle!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification