The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 PM

Default 1978 Taylor 715. Serial number 484.

Have lurked the forums on and off for several years, however today is the day that I finally decided to register and say hello. Figured I would do so with a little show and tell.

My wife had surgery on her arm/shoulder a couple of years ago and she has finally accepted the doctors insistence that there is going to be no further improvement in her mobility/strength in her right arm.

The most upsetting part of this to her, is not the fact that she will probably never be able to work again, but the fact that she may never again be able to comfortably play her "baby".

In about 1985 she was shopping around for a Jumbo body guitar, she had made up her mind that she wanted to buy a Gibson J-200, she found herself in "Guitar House of Tulsa" in Oklahoma who had one in stock ... when she played it .. she says it just didn't have the sound that she was looking for, it wasn't the sound that she had in her head.

The owner of the store, Bob Long, knew that if she was willing to spend that kind of money, she was serious, and he went into the back room and brought out a Taylor. At that time Taylor was not really that well known, and she says, he had to do some fancy talking ... it was not nearly as elaborate as the Gibson, but the second she played it .. she knew that this was the sound that she had been looking for,

Bob told her that he had kept the guitar in the back room for about 7 or 8 years, he only showed people the guitar when he knew they would be interested, and when he knew that they had that kind of money to spend.

She says that she spent around $1500 on the guitar back in 1985, she is the original owner.

Will gladly post some pics when I figure out how to do so

edit : think I got it

Front

Back

Lemon Grove Serial Number.

Please excuse me if my first post has broken any forum etiquette ... was not sure where to start.

Pete.

Last edited by pdel; 04-21-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: adding image link
Old 04-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

First off....sorry to hear of your wifes misfortune. Hopefully she will recover enough to resume playing that amazing 715. Hang on to it!
Secondly.... welcome to the AGF.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 04-21-2018, 06:02 PM

Very cool guitar. I haven’t seen many Taylor’s looking like that. Definitely has that Gibson vibe. I bet it sounds great. I’m sorry to hear about your wife’s surgery. Maybe a smaller body guitar will work for her.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:12 PM

This is awesome, what a cool guitar.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindChaser View Post
Maybe a smaller body guitar will work for her.
We went "looking" yesterday and she was pretty much limited to the "Baby Taylor" and the "Little Martin" in terms of size that she was able to play comfortably.

Up until yesterday she was wildly frustrated at not being able to play any of her collection anymore, however, just watching the smile on her face when she picked up those two yesterday was the best thing I had seen in a long time.

Of course I knew that it would not be long before that smile started hitting my pocket book, so here I am today trying to research online to see who else has "baby", "mini", "3/4" guitars that might work for her.

I see a whole new (much more affordable) collection in her near future
Old 04-21-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
First off....sorry to hear of your wifes misfortune. Hopefully she will recover enough to resume playing that amazing 715.
Does not look good ... she just cant get her bad arm over it anymore ... frustrating as all getout for her.

She has been talking about getting rid of them recently ... I think she just hates the fact that they are just not getting any attention right now.

We went "looking" for something she could play yesterday.

I think one of the "baby" guitars will allow her to get her mojo back ... I see the beginnings of a new "nursery" in her near future

With the "old guard" collection looking over her new little ones.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
This is awesome, what a cool guitar.
Thank you @redir, if it was a choice between me or the guitar going over the edge of a cliff, i'm not sure i'd fancy my chances
Old 04-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdel View Post
We went "looking" yesterday and she was pretty much limited to the "Baby Taylor" and the "Little Martin" in terms of size that she was able to play comfortably.

Up until yesterday she was wildly frustrated at not being able to play any of her collection anymore, however, just watching the smile on her face when she picked up those two yesterday was the best thing I had seen in a long time.

Of course I knew that it would not be long before that smile started hitting my pocket book, so here I am today trying to research online to see who else has "baby", "mini", "3/4" guitars that might work for her.

I see a whole new (much more affordable) collection in her near future
You might want to check out the Academy series from Taylor. They are well reviewed and affordable. Of particular interest of you (and your wife) is that they have a beveled armrest. They come in dread and concert size, here is the A12:
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...tic/academy-12

Beautiful old Taylor btw.

Rob
Old 04-21-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
You might want to check out the Academy series from Taylor.
Thanks Rob, will put that on her list of things to try. I appreciate the suggestion, at this point, any sound is better than no sound ... but things are certainly not as bleak as they were a few days ago.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:34 PM

What a rollercoaster of emotion! Super cool guitar, and the anguish of your wife’s predicament. Condolences.
Have you or she thought about a T5? Still a full size guitar with stellar sound, but it’s a thin body like an electric and much easier on the shoulders. May be worth a test drive.
Good luck!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:46 PM
Anticipation Junkie

pdel, quite an unfortunate situation for your wife. I hope she finds a guitar that will suit her limitations.

By what you’ve said, she has a guitar collection, and if any of them are like this LG 715, then she’s used to quality instruments and perhaps is used to and wanting the Taylor tone and playability. Although the suggested Academy guitars may suite her size-wise especially with the bevel, it won’t deliver anywhere near the tone to which your wife has become accustomed. Perhaps a smaller x12 Grand Concert (GC) size, 12 fret, with a bevel (which can make a big difference in playability for her limitations), would suit her. Maybe something like an 812ceDLX. If this is still too big, I suspect she’s going to need an even smaller parlor size guitar. There are many very good quality ones available, but not in a Taylor. Likely, any of the real small Taylors (like a Baby Taylor) just aren’t going to cut it for her in terms of tone.

I wish your wife good luck in her search. Btw, are you a player?

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-21-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
Have you or she thought about a T5? Still a full size guitar with stellar sound, but it’s a thin body like an electric and much easier on the shoulders. May be worth a test drive.
Good luck!
Interesting thought, will pass this on to her.
We're making a list of things she has to try.
This may work, she is unable to raise her shoulder much at all, so this could work.
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
By what you’ve said, she has a guitar collection, and if any of them are like this LG 715, then she’s used to quality instruments and perhaps is used to and wanting the Taylor tone and playability.
She put herself through nursing school by playing the Taylor .... she has a nice Gibson songwriter, that was her "daily player" before her accident. She has a lovely Washburn 12 string too ... she is no longer able to play any of them.

Its killing her knowing that she wont be able to play them again, its been two years, so just being able to get any kind of sound out of any guitar put a huge smile on her face, at this point I don't think the sound is as important as the fact that she was able to play something, anything.

Quote:
If this is still too big, I suspect she’s going to need an even smaller parlor size guitar. There are many very good quality ones available, but not in a Taylor. Likely, any of the real small Taylors just aren’t going to cut it for her in terms of tone.
She had mentioned to me about parlor earlier tonight, again its something else to check out. The mention of the Electric guitar has just reminded me that she has an inexpensive, beat up electric in there somewhere too ... we need to pull that out and see how that works for her tomorrow ...

I'm glad I posted now, this has all been very positive, thanks to all for the feedback so far.

Quote:
I wish your wife good luck in her search. Btw, are you a player?
Not really, no. I'm here more for the moral support and the interwebs knowledge

If it makes her happy, it makes me happy. I can pick out a bit of a tune, but i wouldn't say that I "play" by any stretch of the imagination.

Buying the new ones is going to be the easy part, she has already suggested that the ones she can no longer play will eventually have to go to homes where they can be used and appreciated, but lets cross that bridge when we get to it. The sentimental value is strong with the Taylor, I can't see her ever letting it go ... but stranger things have happened.

Pete
Old 04-21-2018, 09:12 PM

I would recommend looking into Carbon Fiber guitars. I was a doubter until I played one then I was a believer. There are plenty of options that sound and play as good as your Taylor but have slimmer bodies offering full sized volume.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I would recommend looking into Carbon Fiber guitars. I was a doubter until I played one then I was a believer. There are plenty of options that sound and play as good as your Taylor but have slimmer bodies offering full sized volume.
Right on! Some are very ergonomic with bevels and curves in all the right places, and with great tone, playability and volume in various sizes. Emerald is the builder that offers the most personalized customizations, by far. Definitely worth a look. Another small CF guitar with big sound is the Composite Acoustics Cargo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion