The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-21-2018, 01:52 AM

Default The Voice

Is it just me, but has that show just lost its “voice”? Singers sound like they can’t hear their monitors, and the songs are the same songs season after season. The musicians are always on point which is something I’ve always appreciated about this show. But I think it’s time to move on from singing shows. There’s just nothing new anymore.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:56 AM

I enjoyed the first year or so of The Voice and AI. Then they became more about the judges and less about the talent. Also you better have a backstory. No longer on my viewing list.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

My wife likes it and I watch it with her sometimes. I don't get how they choose who is "better" as they are all outstanding. I don't view it as a real contest. I have to add that although my knowledge of the modern music world is limited, I don't see any Voice winners being a judge on any shows of these types or hear of them on Broadway, etc. My wife has said the same thing. They all seem to fade away never to be heard of again.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-21-2018, 07:21 AM

They do seem to be having some trouble with the monitors this year as many are fooling around with the ear mics and there have been many more pitch problems this year.

The Voice winners never really do seem to take off vs. American Idol winners like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and others that did not win like Jennifer Hudson or Daughtry etc.

One voice winner is from a farm 10 miles from me, Sawyer Fredricks. He just went back to the farm and does local fund raising and festivals as far as I can see. This whole think surprises me as on the Voice they seem to develop a relationship with the judges that I would think would carry on into the future and help open doors. I think Blake does this more than the rest as some of his winners have had country success.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I never watched an episode of the Voice until the current season. While the revolving chairs, garish set, and some of banter between judges is annoying, I’ve really been impressed with the vocal talent and performances. Previously I watched some of the American Idol series, but the first episode this year was really disappointing. The audition performances were at a much lower level than the Voice, and the judges didn’t seem that competent either. I’m not planning to watch it anymore, but am enjoying the Voice. It’s nice to see so many talented vocalists, along with the music.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-21-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
My wife likes it and I watch it with her sometimes. I don't get how they choose who is "better" as they are all outstanding. I don't view it as a real contest. I have to add that although my knowledge of the modern music world is limited, I don't see any Voice winners being a judge on any shows of these types or hear of them on Broadway, etc. My wife has said the same thing. They all seem to fade away never to be heard of again.

Yeah when they choose a “winner”, it’s more about what they see as a “total package” than the voice talent. I think the fading away is just the nature of these singing shows. Once the new season starts, then people just forget who won the previous season. It’s kinda sad when you think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
I enjoyed the first year or so of The Voice and AI. Then they became more about the judges and less about the talent. Also you better have a backstory. No longer on my viewing list.

Yes exactly! It has become a show that’s about the judges. And the editing almost makes it seem like it’s rigged to the ones with interesting backstories.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I watched it a couple of years ago because Laith Al-Saadi was competing and he just tore it up; brilliant performer. He lost in the finals and I subsequently read that he was hoping not to win, because the contract you sign at the front end means they just about own you if you win at the back end. He just wanted the exposure and it seems to have worked out well for him.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I watched it a couple of years ago because Laith Al-Saadi was competing and he just tore it up; brilliant performer. He lost in the finals and I subsequently read that he was hoping not to win, because the contract you sign at the front end means they just about own you if you win at the back end. He just wanted the exposure and it seems to have worked out well for him.

I read that they pretty much own you for the first year so so regardless if you win or not. I think that’s one of the reasons why the contestants pretty much fade away.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:11 PM

We used to enjoy the show. But not so much lately. Do the judges earn enough?

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...tml/?a=viewall
Old 04-21-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
We used to enjoy the show. But not so much lately. Do the judges earn enough?

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...tml/?a=viewall

Wage gap anyone? [emoji23] I think it’s a sad time in the music industry when Miley Cyrus made a whole lot more money than Alicia Keys who is light years ahead of Myley in just about everything talent.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Wage gap anyone? [emoji23] I think it’s a sad time in the music industry when Miley Cyrus made a whole lot more money than Alicia Keys who is light years ahead of Myley in just about everything talent.
You could make a list of just about everyone in the music industry that would be light years ahead of Miley Cyrus in talent.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I read that they pretty much own you for the first year so so regardless if you win or not. I think that’s one of the reasons why the contestants pretty much fade away.
Yeah, as I understand it, they hold on to you for that year for "top ten" tours etc, then they cut you loose. According to Al-Saadi, the winner is held for a much longer term.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:15 PM

I recently tuned in to AI and I was pleasantly surprised by the talent of a few of the contestants, they are amazing.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 PM

When The Voice first started I loved it. The idea of the blind auditions was great.

Now I only watch the the blinds. Once they get going it just seems the same-old, same-old to me. And the constant tragic sob story/back story is so predictable.

And yeah, the judges can very very stupid. Still like the blinds though.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
When The Voice first started I loved it. The idea of the blind auditions was great.

Now I only watch the the blinds. Once they get going it just seems the same-old, same-old to me. And the constant tragic sob story/back story is so predictable.

And yeah, the judges can very very stupid. Still like the blinds though.

You’re right. I usually lose interest after the blinds. I watch the knockouts and the other rounds until the live shows. Then it loses steam because usually the most talented get voted off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic