The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Default NAD Mesa Rosette 300

I know there is a Rosette thread already, but it dates back to May of last year and runs about 13 pages long and veers off course a few times, so I decided to start a new post and review.

First off, I purchased mine from Sweetwater and have "played around" with it for a couple of days now. I felt slightly bad about not purchasing from Maurie's (sp?) because of his helpful input on that original thread, but I've done business with Sweetwater for years, and to date have not been disappointed. I didn't see a point in moving away from what has worked for me.

Here's what I've found about the Rosette so far in the early stages of ownership.

1) It has one of the best, most thorough user manuals I've gotten. The only thing they overlooked was addressing the existence, the purpose and the way to use what I believe is the three way tweeter toggle on the back of the amp. Thankfully Sweetwater has a video that addresses it.

2) I was a little concerned I'd have to spend a lot of time dialing in my sound as I did with my Rosette preamp/DI. But the quick start settings suggested in the manual made it an easy start. The sound coming out of those two speakers is wonderful. Crystal clear and articulate. My wife was reading in the family room at the other end of the house and she volunteered, "wow, that amp is really nice sounding. It sounds completely natural. It sounds just like your guitar(s) when they are unplugged, just louder." The effects, chorus and reverb, are nice sounding without being overwhelming and cheap sounding.

I have always greatly liked my Marshall AS50D and still do. I'll not part with it. It's a wonderful amp at a very affordable price. My MB Rosette is a step up and should be given that it costs more than the Marshall.

I've not yet tested the DI outs, or the XLR mic in, but even if the mic input didn't work I'd be happy for the guitar sound alone, since I play guitar and do not attempt to sing. I will however try the XLR in a few days and add an info addendum on that.

Overall the amp provides great guitar sound, is well thought out, seems well built, comes with a very nice quality cordura nylon cover. The sound is great enough that I don't feel the need to use an additional external EQ like I sometimes use with other amps, even the Marshall sometimes.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
I know there is a Rosette thread already, but it dates back to May of last year and runs about 13 pages long and veers off course a few times, so I decided to start a new post and review.

First off, I purchased mine from Sweetwater and have "played around" with it for a couple of days now. I felt slightly bad about not purchasing from Maurie's (sp?) because of his helpful input on that original thread, but I've done business with Sweetwater for years, and to date have not been disappointed. I didn't see a point in moving away from what has worked for me.

Here's what I've found about the Rosette so far in the early stages of ownership.

1) It has one of the best, most thorough user manuals I've gotten. The only thing they overlooked was addressing the existence, the purpose and the way to use what I believe is the three way tweeter toggle on the back of the amp. Thankfully Sweetwater has a video that addresses it.

2) I was a little concerned I'd have to spend a lot of time dialing in my sound as I did with my Rosette preamp/DI. But the quick start settings suggested in the manual made it an easy start. The sound coming out of those two speakers is wonderful. Crystal clear and articulate. My wife was reading in the family room at the other end of the house and she volunteered, "wow, that amp is really nice sounding. It sounds completely natural. It sounds just like your guitar(s) when they are unplugged, just louder." The effects, chorus and reverb, are nice sounding without being overwhelming and cheap sounding.

I have always greatly liked my Marshall AS50D and still do. I'll not part with it. It's a wonderful amp at a very affordable price. My MB Rosette is a step up and should be given that it costs more than the Marshall.

I've not yet tested the DI outs, or the XLR mic in, but even if the mic input didn't work I'd be happy for the guitar sound alone, since I play guitar and do not attempt to sing. I will however try the XLR in a few days and add an info addendum on that.

Overall the amp provides great guitar sound, is well thought out, seems well built, comes with a very nice quality cordura nylon cover. The sound is great enough that I don't feel the need to use an additional external EQ like I sometimes use with other amps, even the Marshall sometimes.
Neither you nor the manual mentions singing through it, but I readily agree it's a wonder for guitar.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:27 PM

Sorry, didn't realize you were talking about the speakerless version.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Sorry, didn't realize you were talking about the speakerless version.
? I'm talking about the Rosette 300/two:eight amplifier. I didn't know they made a speakerless amp with two 8" speakers
Old 01-27-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
? I'm talking about the Rosette 300/two:eight amplifier. I didn't know they made a speakerless amp with two 8" speakers
Uh, er, I've been reading so much NAMM stuff about so many amps ... no, Mesa makes a little preamp with the same EQ, no box, like a Grace Felix. Also called the Rosette. Too many amp threads have made me a confused individual!

Since you don't care about singing, well then you're in hog heaven. I was when I owned one. But I do care about singing. I completely miss it for guitar.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Uh, er, I've been reading so much NAMM stuff about so many amps ... no, Mesa makes a little preamp with the same EQ, no box, like a Grace Felix. Also called the Rosette. Too many amp threads have made me a confused individual!

Since you don't care about singing, well then you're in hog heaven. I was when I owned one. But I do care about singing. I completely miss it for guitar.
yea most of these amps sound great with a guitar (they're guitar amps) but so so as a PA...
Old 02-06-2018, 03:00 PM

I've had more time to fool around with my Rosette. Although I don't sing and don't use an amp as a small PA, I did plug in my condenser mic and it sounded o.k. to me. Basically I'm just not interested in vocals. I play guitar. I don't really exactly know what to look for in vocal sound from an amp, but it sounded natural even going through a relatively inexpensive mic.

Mostly I've spent my time playing my guitars through the amp. I consider myself a serious guitar player and have played for more years...more decades really, than I perhaps care to divulge. All I can say is that the sound is simply wonderful. Natural, crystal clear. I couldn't ask for more. After hemming and hawing and looking for reasons NOT to spend the money on a Rosette amp, I'm sure glad I did. No buyers remorse whatsoever.

Last edited by Nailpicker; 02-06-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:24 PM

Think I'm about to pull the trigger as well. Been hawing as you out it for a few weeks now. Glad it's working out for ya.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

It's an honor just to be nominated.

Glad you got one, regardless of how/when/where. I love mine.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 PM

Congratulations to all you lucky (and future) Rosette owners.
Singing through it sounds fantastic.
Great amp for controlling your vocals and tone for performance, recording, and/or monitoring.
It's my favorite amp in 40 odd years of chasing tone.
Mission accomplished!
The onboard effects are the best I've ever heard in a combo.
Better than the reverb tank in my rectoverb.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Congratulations to all you lucky (and future) Rosette owners.
Singing through it sounds fantastic.
Great amp for controlling your vocals and tone for performance, recording, and/or monitoring.
It's my favorite amp in 40 odd years of chasing tone.
Mission accomplished!
The onboard effects are the best I've ever heard in a combo.
Better than the reverb tank in my rectoverb.
Thanks for your comments, especially concerning vocals. Since I don't/won't sing I didn't really feel qualified to comment on that aspect of the Rosette.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:16 PM

I love my Rosette. I sing through it, play guitar, clawhammer banjo, and even upright bass through it. It's a very well thought out, versatile piece of equipment.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:47 PM

Hey folks,

Had one of these for a few months now and I had it all dialled into a spot where I thought I was happy. Of course with all the parameters I find myself constantly tweaking (the knobs that is ). I'm happy with the guitar tone for now, but I'm curious if you folks have any EQ suggestions for the vocals. Seems a few are happy with the vocal sound through this, but I'm having a hard time getting a good tone through it.

Any pointers would be wonderful.

Also, the cab on mine seems to buzz while I'm palm-muting or in DADGAD. If I press down on the top of the amp it stops. Anyone experience this? This amp puts out a pile of bass, and I'm not sure it's heavy enough to keep the cabinet from vibrating.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 03:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
Hey folks,

Had one of these for a few months now and I had it all dialled into a spot where I thought I was happy. Of course with all the parameters I find myself constantly tweaking (the knobs that is ). I'm happy with the guitar tone for now, but I'm curious if you folks have any EQ suggestions for the vocals. Seems a few are happy with the vocal sound through this, but I'm having a hard time getting a good tone through it.

Any pointers would be wonderful.

Also, the cab on mine seems to buzz while I'm palm-muting or in DADGAD. If I press down on the top of the amp it stops. Anyone experience this? This amp puts out a pile of bass, and I'm not sure it's heavy enough to keep the cabinet from vibrating.

Thanks!
I run the treble almost all the way up, and I sparingly cut some offensive high midrange. I turned up the amp and sang through it for a few minutes, boosting the upper “sweepable mids” until I found the frequency that sounded the worst ... then cut some of that out, and it does a nice job. Different voices will likely mean different offending frequencies. YMMV. I haven’t found any bass rumble to speak of.

Btw, I just played through mine again yesterday at a local American Cancer Society telethon - and it slayed. 😎

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 PM

I tried one of these today and was impressed by its tone and tweekability.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification