The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-16-2018, 11:50 AM

Default CA "OX" serious question!!!

The "OX" that I just bought was made in 2009 by CA before CA went out of business. Peavy bought the assets in 2011 and restarted manufacturing the CA line.
My info comes from a nice employee that I do not wish to name. He said that the original CA had problems with the neck angle, bracing, etc. Does anyone here own any of the original pre-Peavy guitars? If so, have you had any problems?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM

LOTS of comments on this board in the past on that. The issue, when it did arise, was mostly to do with the neck angle. Meaning that on some CAs it was just like an old Martin needing a neck reset. You couldn't get the action down to where you want it and still have any saddle showing. I own a pre-Peavey GX, and my action is at 5/64", though I will admit that I don't have room to remove any more saddle. The good news is that it doesn't change with time (as an old Martin would). When the OX arrives note the action, and if you need to lower it, check to see whether there is enough saddle showing to be able to get it down to where you want it. If there is, you're good to go. If not.......
Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I own an early ‘08 Cargo I bought new. Love it. Mine has no problems. The following is speculation, but at least somewhat accurate based on having followed CA. Some think that CA priced the Cargo too low, kind of a “loss leader” approach to gain market. This made the Cargo deservedly very popular and CA was quite the darling among CFs for a period. Keeping up with production caused some QC issues where it was well-reported that many CAs had neck angle problems. Of course, without a truss rod, there’s only so much saddle adjustment that can be done, and this was seen as not enough to correct the issue. I don’t recall myself of ever hearing of any bracing issues. In 2010, CA went out of business and Peavey took them over sometime in that year, though it took a while before they were producing some of the line again.

I truly hope your OX is not one with a neck problem that can’t be compensated for by saddle adjustment. If it is, hioefully the store you bought it from will refund you. After all, it was a store rep who told you about it. Did he do so before or after you actually bought the guitar?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM

I own an early OX Raw. So far as I know most of the OX line was free of problems. It was mentioned more with Cargos than others as I recall. Unless you find a problem enjoy the guitar. It may be the best general purpose CF guitar every designed.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 PM

I answered my own question. On this forum, I found lots of discussion in 2011 when Peavy was cranking up.

Most of the discussion mentioned the Cargo. The problems were not widespread and my situation is going to be "luck of the draw".

One of the variables is the knowledge of the owner/player. Many folks, like myself, would not know a great set-up from an OK setup!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM

I have one of the early Raws as well. I ordered it from MacNichol back in the day...The first one he got in he said was not exceptable he said so didn't send it... the next one he got in is now mine and all is good.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-16-2018, 08:31 PM

I have a pre-peavy 2009 GX - no problems with neck angle or saddle. I heard that some had problems, maybe some did but I never saw one. Anyway mine's still going strong!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 04-17-2018, 05:48 AM

I had an original CA gloss OX in 2009 that the action could not be brought lower than 7/64", 12th fret, low E. It was otherwise a fine guitar and even though I knew it would not change over time, I could not get that thought out of my head and eventually sold it on eBay (with a picture of a ruler showing the action and the saddle height in the listing). Except, so far, for the three guitars I own today, none of which is even a year old, an eventual sale on eBay seems to be a common fate of all :~). Though I do seem to get hung up on manufacturers for longer periods which is RainSong as of late.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-17-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:13 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I had an original CA gloss OX in 2009 that the action could not be brought lower than 7/64", 12th fret, low E. It was otherwise a fine guitar and even though I knew it would not change over time, I could not get that thought out of my head and eventually sold it on eBay (with a picture of a ruler showing the action and the saddle height in the listing). Except, so far, for the three guitars I own today, none of which is even a year old, an eventual sale on eBay seems to be a common fate of all :~). Though I do seem to get hung up on manufacturers for longer periods which is RainSong as of late.
OUCH! I wish I had not read this.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Guest 928

Braindead;

Relax. Most reports, including mine, based on pre-Peavey Ox ownership, indicate that the Ox is a fine guitar. In any event, if the guitar is seriously flawed you should e able to return it.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Braindead;

Relax. Most reports, including mine, based on pre-Peavey Ox ownership, indicate that the Ox is a fine guitar. In any event, if the guitar is seriously flawed you should e able to return it.
In the same time frame I owned a GX and Legacy and both had perfect neck angles and relief. My only gripe was ultimately compared to a RainSong, they were not as loud acoustically (though it took some experimenting to find the RainSong option that sounded best to my ear).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-19-2018, 01:26 PM

I have a prePeavey OX and I love it. I am a heavy strummer, so I find the action just about perfect. I did sand down the saddle a mm or two, but otherwise, I have had no issues with it. I love that I can leave it on the stand all year round, and can take it out in the cold and not worry about wrecking it.

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber