The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-17-2018, 05:13 PM

Yes and no. SWMBO involved them in activities as she dreamed them up and I coalesced assuming the dodge that you never know until you try. They didn't take to any of it.

One fine day I took my oldest son to a park and, with the requisite gear, tested his resolve for sports. There was none to be seen. He could throw a baseball and had a fine ability to loft a football with a respectable spiral and aim. Before we got to the round ball court he asked me when we were going to be done. I took that as a clue and home we went to his books and violin.

My second son couldn't be coaxed away from his keyboard or biology interests for money or an ice cream cone. They were, and remain, independent creatures who prefer the solitude they need to pursue their own interests.

Their social life is spartan but alive and well. They manage to allow their old man to take them to dinner occasionally, but neither are foodies so cuisine is for someone else while they stop just long enough to eat a burger with one foot out the door.

I'm not sure, but I don't think my sons were ever kids.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I'm not sure, but I don't think my sons were ever kids.
Sort of like they were born middle-aged and set in their ways?

You never mentioned their ages, but these days, they would be subjected to all manner of tests to determine if they fell on the autism spectrum, probably recommended to take all kinds of pills so that they'll become outgoing team players.

A lot of smart people get wrecked by that sort of thing.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 AM

This thread is very interesting to me as I have a 1st grader.

It's amazing that they're doing simple algebra at that age. I know we didn't see it nearly that young.

I also struggle with the engagement vs free-time issue.

And I don't have any answers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic