The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-15-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
...Meteorology is not an exact science and for them to possibly err on the side of caution is likely welcome by First Responders and Law Enforcement, rather than have an un-prepared public ...
While I am not a big fan of "news" that has a vested interest in making every story sensational, the worst thing ever, you are right about erring on the side of caution when it comes to bad weather. Unfortunately, this can sometimes backfire. That's why New Orleans was caught so flatfooted when Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005.

The year before, Hurricane Ivan, a Category 5 storm when it first came ashore, devastated the Gulf Coast east of New Orleans. The city was ordered evacuated, and the roads leading away from my home town were turned into parking lots for endless hours for countless thousands. BUT, the storm went east of New Orleans. Many people complained to government officials about the "needless evacuation," and the money and time "wasted."

Ah, but the next September, along comes Katrina. The Mayor of New Orleans and other officials, remembering Ivan, waited until what they thought was the last possible second before ordering the evacuation. They were wrong. It was too late, and their city was devastated, including many thousands of people who could least afford storm damage. I am convinced that if these leaders had again erred on the side of caution, many lives could have been saved and serious injury avoided.

When it comes to possible bad weather, be ready, and if you are not affected but others are, be ready to help. If it never arrives, be thankful!

cotten
Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Great or not depends on who you ask. My wife's not pleased to be driving 150 mi in it. Lucy here is just one of those girls who wanna have fun.

Preparing for our ski club's annual meeting has it looking this way - the timing shifted. What should have been in December has occurred in the past few weeks.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 PM

Just yesterday I was out for a walk and ran into a nice lady from Grand Rapids who was vacationing here. She was saying that they were calling for 1-2” of ice just north of where she lives. When I lived in Ohio I was once without power for 4.5 day’s as a result of just 1/2” of ice so I can see where that would be something to be watching for.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:22 PM

40,000 without power.

Millions worth of damage here.

It was.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Some more crazy might be headed our way tomorrow - 3-6 inches in the forecast. Unfortunately it will probably be too warn for any enjoyment beyond a dog walk. No snow biking and I'm not sure I want to do classic skiing on mashed taters.

Some stats on the unusual year: Our ski club (a facility with jumping, alpine, biathlon, Nordic and MTB) annual meeting was last night. The strange winter was quantified with 8 days closed or unable to operate. The club is 71 years old and someone near 80 always reads stats and history stuff at these meetings. That's 8 days when ski patrol called off their work schedule.

Now this is creating a mess for the upcoming MTB season. The first spring work days are snow covered and trails won't dry for a long time.

I always find ways to smile but this unpredictability is a bummer.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
While I am not a big fan of "news" that has a vested interest in making every story sensational, the worst thing ever, you are right about erring on the side of caution when it comes to bad weather. Unfortunately, this can sometimes backfire. That's why New Orleans was caught so flatfooted when Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005.
Bingo.

They've started "naming" winter storms like hurricanes, and over-reacting to normal weather, and now when really bad weather hits, many people ignore the warnings.

The constant "disaster" feed has turned many people, including myself, off of the most popular Weather Channel.

I'll take the locals guys/gals anytime.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-17-2018, 05:30 PM

Well, Mr. Slaw- back in the day we simply took it in the face when it came to weather and,now that we have satellites and meteorologists,you complain because we are able to take preventative measures to minimize damage and suffering. Ah the good old days! Where is this coming from?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic