The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Default Added a K&K Definity Pickup....Great Acoustic tone!!

I just added a K&K Definity pickup to my Peerless archtop as well as the Armstrong floating pickup at the neck. I wanted more acoustic tone plugged in and this pickup is just for that, or so they say. But actually I am blown away by the acoustic tone of this. Because it comes with a 1/4" input I can use this as well as the factory installed Armstrong floating pickup. Between the two balanced and eq'd, the tone is some jazz and some acoustic flattop tone....perfect.
About installation, its easy as can be. The Definity is not much more than a sensor that slips under the bass side of the bridge since we have floating bridges. It does not affect the tone of the guitar at all and yet produces clear and acoustic guitar like tones. I recommend it to anyone wanting to get more acoustic tone when plugged in.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

Last edited by hotroad; 04-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Cool.

None of the "quack" one associates with undersaddle p/u's on flat tops?
Old 04-13-2018, 12:22 AM

Glad you like yours. I've always had to use a lot of EQ to get my to sound just OK. Still, certainly better than some of the options out there and by far the easiest install.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:18 AM

I don't use mine alone. That sound is not so great. But mixed in with my Armstrong floating pickup at neck, the tone is pretty good if you want some acoustic tone in the mix. It does take some eq time to get it sounding the best it can. And as an option, you can run this Definity into an electric guitar amp for some oomph and change in tone. I have done this for gigs with great success. I run the Definity into a small Fender electric guitar amp and the on board Armstrong into a preamp and then the sound system. The blend of those two can get pretty interesting with the modeling options from the electric amp.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-07-2018, 10:27 PM

So the K&K Definity pickup alone sounds really good?

I was considering using something like this because mounting an Armstrong floater to the pick guard can be problematic...

An added plus is strings. Won't need nickel strings for the magnetic pickup to work best...
Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Funny, I always try to talk people out of using transducers for the very reason you seemed to dig it: "acoustic flattop tone". Of course, I'm playing completely acoustic archtops and trying to preserve their inherent tone without making them sound like a flattop, and without "electrifying" them. But for the kind of blending thing you're doing, it makes sense.

1932 Gibson L-5
1939 Gibson L-5
1937 Gibson ES-150
2012 National Style 1 (German Silver)
2004 Eastman 805 non-cut
2002 John LeVoi 12-fret Petite Bouche
2016 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
1939 Gibson EH-185
Vintage '47 VA-185G

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops