The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2023, 11:34 AM

Default Best strings for Gibson L 00 studio?

Hi everyone, after long research I may settle down for a Gibson L 00 Studio Rosewood, but sometimes I feel the sound is not adequate to the price (unlike the Standard, which was amazing but the thick neck was not for me). Is it possible that maybe changing the strings can improve the situation? What strings do you think will fit this guitar? Thank you

Last edited by JimandJoni; 05-08-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I string my 2 L-00's with monels - but they're both mahogany back/sides. Few people seem to like monel on rosewood back/side guitars. I've never tried. I tend to like phosphor bronze on rosewood so I would probably start there.

Brand-wise I'd go with Curt Mangan, John Pearse or good ol' D'Addarios.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandJoni View Post
Hi everyone, after long research I may settle down for a Gibson L 00 Studio Rosewood, but sometimes I feel the sound is not adequate to the price (unlike the Standard, which was amazing but the thick neck was not for me). Is it possible that maybe changing the strings can improve the situation? What strings do you think will fit this guitar? Thank you
Different flattops don't call for different stings. Just use whatever strings you always use. You'll always sound your best playing strings you like.

As for the price-to-quality ratio, that's true of any Gibson or Martin. You're paying for the guitar and the logo. If you don't want to pay for a Gibson logo, then Guild USA, Larrivee, Godin, and Taylor are waiting in the wings. And if you don't mind overseas imports, there are even more to pick from.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 05-08-2023 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:56 AM

I have a L-00 studio with walnut B+S. Next time I change the strings I am going to use d'addario nickel bronze, since I like them on my J-45 standard.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I had a walnut B&S G-00 and it sounded good with retros. That’d be my first choice, then maybe nickel bronze or PB lights.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

My wife’s L-00 has walnut back and sides as well. I am running phosphor bronze Martin Lifespan strings on her guitar. It sounds good, but the tone of the guitar is very dependent on your strumming hand placement. You need to be over the sound hole to get the fullest sound. If you get too far back the sound gets a little tinny.

I am yet to form a conclusion on what I think of Walnut as a tone wood.

+

Last edited by abn556; 05-09-2023 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Since you like smaller Gibson acoustic guitars you might want to check out some of the Waterloo guitars made by Collings in Austin. The WL-14 was inspired by the Gibson made Kalamazoo guitars.

For what it's worth I own 3 vintage Gibson acoustic guitars and my Waterloo WL-14XTR gets played a lot. It's a great tribute to the Kalamazoo guitars. Great fit and finish. Excellent playability. Unless you like a super fat neck be sure you get the less chunky neck of the two necks available.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:29 AM

No such thing as "best." It all depends on your individual tastes. Just experiment with different strings until you find one you like.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Since you like smaller Gibson acoustic guitars you might want to check out some of the Waterloo guitars made by Collings in Austin. The WL-14 was inspired by the Gibson made Kalamazoo guitars.

For what it's worth I own 3 vintage Gibson acoustic guitars and my Waterloo WL-14XTR gets played a lot. It's a great tribute to the Kalamazoo guitars. Great fit and finish. Excellent playability. Unless you like a super fat neck be sure you get the less chunky neck of the two necks available.
From what i ve seen in now thousands of videos, Collings is absolute number one, but there is no way to get them in Europe where I am, I mean where there is a will there is a way but I am trying to keep it simple (and returnable).
Old 05-09-2023, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
From what i ve seen in now thousands of videos, Collings is absolute number one, but there is no way to get them in Europe where I am, I mean where there is a will there is a way but I am trying to keep it simple (and returnable).
Even here in the States the Waterloo guitars are in short supply. When I bought mine in 2017 there were several available at Elderly.com. Now they don't have any.

For what it's worth I have never found that different strings will turn a dud into a hero.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Even here in the States the Waterloo guitars are in short supply. When I bought mine in 2017 there were several available at Elderly.com. Now they don't have any.

For what it's worth I have never found that different strings will turn a dud into a hero.
this Gibson studio is no dud, mind me, it just would be nice to add a little bass to the sound.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:58 PM

FYI... my walnut B+S L-00 studio has a much more substantial neck shape than my J-45 standard. I think a L-00 standard neck would be similar to a J-45 standard.

Sorry if I'm mis-reading what your original post said.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
this Gibson studio is no dud, mind me, it just would be nice to add a little bass to the sound.
When I buy a brand new guitar I expect it to sound a little stiff and tight. After you play it a lot it will start to sound really good. In my experience it takes about 4 years playing a well built newly made acoustic guitar for the sound to begin opening up. ASFAIK no one has figured out how to make a new guitar that sounds 50 years old!

Alternately you could buy vintage. If you go that route you'll get a mature instrument. Even if it's in pretty good shape you should probably budget for repairs and set up work. But then you'll have both an instrument to play and a solid investment.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramsnad View Post
FYI... my walnut B+S L-00 studio has a much more substantial neck shape than my J-45 standard. I think a L-00 standard neck would be similar to a J-45 standard.

Sorry if I'm mis-reading what your original post said.
The neck on my wife’s L-00 is quite small, especially at the nut. Being more of an electric player, I would call this neck a small slim taper profile. Her L-00 is really fast playing. On the walnut on this guitar - its definitely much brighter than my 000-18. I guess I am not sure what to think of it yet. It seems more like maple than rosewood or mahogany.

Would Monels be a good choice for this guitar?

+

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson. l 00 studio, strings