The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-24-2024, 07:27 PM

Default Need a good ear to critique demo clip ..

I would love feedback on what you hear in this very short acoustic guitar demo guitar clip? Particularly if you hear room issues like comb filtering etc. I have invested alot of time and energy into my room and still searching for a decent recording.

ANY advice critical or not would be awesome.

The clip is short. starts with the mp3 track bounced directly from daw. then two more plays in which I video protools with SPAN and a live EQ up. Obviously the audio quality is best on first play. Are all those huge frequency spikes on the EQ normal or is my room out of control?

Played on Gibson J45, Audient id44 AI, Shure SM81 mic, 12"-14" off neck pointing at around 12th fret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIh2zdBsR9A
Old 03-25-2024, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

The raw clip sounded pretty good - realistic
Sounded muffled after you played around with it post recording.
Spikes do look quite large - probably poor room acoustics - reflections off of walls, floor, ceiling.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 03-25-2024 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:46 PM

thank you for the feedback. I dont know "what I dont know" as my ears are numb these days from over listening to my takes !

Keep them coming !
Old 03-25-2024, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm confused whats happening in the video.

The original clip sounds okay - definitely workable in the context of a mix.

When we see your Pro Tools screen are we listening to a recording from your studio monitors instead of the direct signal? It sounds like there has been heavy filtering applied to the sound, almost like a telephone vocal. However the EQ plugin you show on screen doesn't look like it is actually adjusting anything except some gentle low end rolloff, certainly nothing to produce the sound in the second clip.

-Mike
Old 03-26-2024, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, the original raw track sounds fine. Something really wonky going on in your processing. Or are we listening to a phone recording of your playback? That's not going to represent what you're hearing very well.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

If the raw track sounds best to you (it certainly sounds best to me) then your ears are working just fine.

Everything I'm hearing after the first section is far worse in quality.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with your room or whatever system you used for the initial recording. Don't over think this. It is the playing that matters more than the recording. I was recorded playing dulcimer in the middle of a field at a festival by Mike Harding using a hand held recorder. And that was broadcast on BBC Radio 2 and it sounded just fine. He kept things really simple.

So keep things as simple as possible.

I would suggest you use a click track to avoid rushing your playing when recording. I loved the pick drop!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 03-27-2024 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:06 PM

The first sample sounds pretty good, but you are not getting the bass out of the J45 that it should have. I place my guitar mic at the 12th fret, about 8" - 12" away, and point the mic at the sound hole. I am using an AKG C451 mic.
The processed sound sounds like garbage. From the sound of the original I don't think you have any room issues. With the mic close enough to the guitar and a cardioid mic you shouldn't have much room sound anyway.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-30-2024, 01:50 PM

Nothing wrong with the first 20 seconds or so; that's a good sound. For the rest of it, it sounds to me like you were playing back through your monitors and re-micing the signal played back through your monitors, which would be a horrible idea. You might want to verify 100% that you are not doing that with any mic... whether it be the internal mic on your laptop or the SM81.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD