The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
How about a tuner? I use a TU-2 I've had for years and years now. It's always helped me to keep my guitar in nearly perfect tuning.
Yep, a tuner is always handy.

I know I mentioned reverb but what about vibrato?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Hi all,

I have space on my board for one pedals preferably no larger than a Boss size. I play mostly reggae and so my goal is typically to add nice sounds to my clean guitar tone. My board now is geared for funk style tones. I don’t need any OD pedals. If anything I’m thinking of a flanger but am curious if there’s other cool sounding pedals that others would suggest.

My chain now is: Wah>phaser>envelope filter>EH B9 organ pedal>delay>? Although I’ll most likely put it right before that the way the delay will be my last and suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I really like my EH Oceans 11 reverb unit. My board is Boss TU2 Tuner> Xotic AH Soul Driven > MRX Carbon Copy > EH Oceans 11 > Amp

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-28-2019, 07:09 AM

Thanks all. I ended up with the Stereo Electric Mistress. It fits in perfectly and gives me just another little flavor to add it when I'm doing longer skankin' rhythm parts. I'm still messing around with it to see what all it has to offer as it can be tweaked quite a bit. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-28-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Thanks all. I ended up with the Stereo Electric Mistress. It fits in perfectly and gives me just another little flavor to add it when I'm doing longer skankin' rhythm parts. I'm still messing around with it to see what all it has to offer as it can be tweaked quite a bit. Thanks for the help!
Congrats! Was it the recommendation here that steered you in that direction or were you already looking at the Mistress as a potential buy?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:11 AM

Get an Xtomp Mini... it's like 100 pedals in one. It sounds good too.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-09-2019, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Get a looper and play yourself crazy.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:48 AM

I got a looper and like it and use it some but only for practice and never live as I have no need for it live. But I find I don't use the looper all that much anymore because I also have Fender GDec 30 with much more built in to practice with.

Dru, it was this thread that put me in the direction of the EM.

That Xtomp Mini looks super cool.
Thanks all!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 AM

Adding my vote for the compressor. Besides the attributes already mentioned, in gig situations where any amount of volume is too much, it'll make everything a little more full-sounding.

Couch Standards
Old 07-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Compressor pedal.

Can add a twangy sound at the front end.
yep! that's what I think is missing too!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Maybe I need to revisit the compressor at some point. I had a MXR Dyna Comp at one point but felt it wasn't adding anything worthwhile to my little available board space. In fact I never really liked what I was hearing when using it compared to my signal without it, but I may not have been fully appreciating what it was actually doing for me.

I'm curious how many of you run pedals simultaneously. I had a Xotics AC booster when I was playing through my Fender Bassman but when I got a new amp and was able to get different tones I sold it. But when I had it, I kept it on always except for the rare super clean tone. I used it to just add a tad of dirt to my clean sounds so it wasn't so "ice picky" when playing my clean reggae guitar.
But besides that one Xotics pedal, I find that I pretty much never run pedals simultaneously. It's probably just the pedals I have, but I only use them one at a time to get the sound I want from them.

I'd say 80% of the time my sound is my guitar and amp only. The other 20% is when I use either my wah, envelope filter, phaser, B9 and now Electric Mistress. I have a Boss delay at the end but find I rarely use it. I use a tad bit of reverb from my amp. And my amp has plenty of dirt for those tones.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Brent summed up my opinion of a compressor perfectly. I never use one, or rarely, when just playing by myself but with the band it's almost always on. With all the stage noise going on it just helps you rise above the fray but not in piercing volume way but rather a presence. I think of the compressor as presence. You are always just there all the time. And they don't really kill your dynamics unless you are using high settings.

I never could use a looper live either. In fact after about a year I'm going to just take mine off the board and add something else I might actually use. They certainly are fun to practice with though.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Ironically it was the removal of my looper from my board that opened up the space for the new Electric Mistress
Old 07-10-2019, 05:21 PM

Go for the Gold: TC Electronics Stereo Chorus, flanger, pitch modulator.
Using this little gem since the 1990's-----Some of my guitar influences have used it a lot: Eric Johnson, Peter Frampton, Joe Satriani, Joe B.

I like to play stereo through 2 amps, (Carr Skylarks (2), or a 1964 Fender B/F Deluxe Reverb and Bugera V-22. Many of my other pedals offer stereo, but nothing sounds as good as this one, my 3rd since the early '90's. If you balance it correctly, you can get that great sound of the amps bouncing off each other.
Good Luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars