The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2018, 11:38 AM

Default T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic---first impressions

Just got it in the mail yesterday. As soon as I opened the box I new it was a quality piece of gear. First of all, it's heavy but in a good way that oozes quality, solid and built like a tank. It's striking and sleek. Even the knobs feel heavy duty and unbreakeable. The buttons are momentary latching and feel smooth when pressed.

I unpacked it and used it at my 3-hr gig last night. I only used the delay, reverb and looper but I'm sure it's going to replace my pedalboard. The looper is the best built-in looper I have come across---5-8 min w/individual start/stop buttons! It worked flawlessly and was not a problem to use as some others mentioned with the start/stop buttons being reversed and its location on the board (but I was sitting so we'll see when I'm standing). But I do miss the volume knob that's on my Ditto X2 to control the volume of the looped rhythm (can't expect everything on a multi-unit though).

The tuner is the best on-board tuner that I have ever used---it comes the closest to my polytune mini---and locks on to the note really quickly (I went thru 3 different tunings). The pitch reference can also be set anywhere from 435-445HZ! I won't say it's as good as the polytune but it's good enough to replace it.

The reverb and delay sounded good (I'll get a better feel as I gig more with it). The shimmer was a pleasant surprise! Wasn't sure what it was but it added an ethereal sound to one of my mellow instrumentals. Didn't get a chance to mess with the eq much as my guitar (Godin nylon Duet Ambiance) sounded great as soon as I plugged in. FYI, I also noticed the Soulmate also has an impedance switch---1M/10M ohms!

So far it's definitely a keeper and looks like it will be replacing my pedalboard---Fishman Platinum Pro--T-Rex Replay Box--Polara--Ditto X2--Polytune mini.

Also FYI, my chain: Godin--Soulmate Acoustic--Soundcraft Notepad 8fx--JBLPRX612.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog

Last edited by Kalani; 05-17-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Where did you buy it? They have been out of stock for months which made me wonder if there had been a recall.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:35 AM

I got it used in mint condition from GC. REALLY hard to find---been looking everyday for months! No one's selling and out of stock everywhere until 6/7. Recall? Never heard of it and mine worked flawlessly last night.

Last edited by Kalani; 05-18-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:05 AM

Kalani....any followup on the Soulmate?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Guest 829

I was interested in this unit too, however, the lack of mix on the modulation has put me off. I’d be interested to know how it works in practice though.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:51 AM

Sweetwater has them in stock...
Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 AM

Tuner: A+
Looper: Quality: A; amenities: B, still wish it had a volume control as it boosts the loop a bit; location: C- (while standing; doesn’t bother me while sitting; buttons in reverse order not a problem at all, in fact I prefer the play button on the right now); added foot buttons which makes a big difference while standing.
Reverb: B/B+, not as good as my Neunaber Wet but good enough
Delay: A, having built-in tap tempo brings it to an A
EQ: A, phenomenal to have all 3-bands sweepable!
Compressor: A (I guess); never used compressor before but it fattens and tightens my guitar sound nicely so it’s always on.
Boost: A, but I always leave it on as it seems to add a nice boost in the lows and highs (so maybe not a true boost?)
Chorus: Never used.
Overall Build quality: A+, tank
Phase,pickup impedance matching, ground, stereo XLR and 1/4” outs, output level, gain, boost level, vol/exp pedal: gravy!

Best Acoustic all-in-one pedal I’ve ever used period!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog

Last edited by Kalani; 05-15-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM

Great summary Kalani! Glad to hear you are enjoying it!
As soon as I find one for a good price, I will snatch one up!
$575 is a bit pricey for me when you can get similar pedals
for around half that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Tuner: A+
Looper: Quality: A; amenities: B, still wish it had a volume control as it boosts the loop a bit; location: C- (while standing; doesn’t bother me while sitting; buttons in reverse order not a problem at all, in fact I prefer the play button on the right now); added foot buttons which makes a big difference while standing.
Reverb: B/B+, not as good as my Neunaber Wet but good enough
Delay: A, having built-in tap tempo brings it to an A
EQ: A, phenomenal to have all 3-bands sweepable!
Compressor: A (I guess); never used compressor before but it fattens and tightens my guitar sound nicely so it’s always on.
Boost: A, but I always leave it on as it seems to add a nice boost in the lows and highs (so maybe not a true boost?)
Chorus: Never used.
Overall Build quality: A+, tank
Phase,pickup impedance matching, ground, stereo XLR and 1/4” outs, output level, gain, boost level, vol/exp pedal: gravy!

Best Acoustic all-in-one pedal I’ve ever used period!
Old 05-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Understandable, but nothing in the same league—high quality tuner, built-in looper with substantial recording time and two buttons, sweepable eq and tap tempo delay. I gig for a living at least 5 days a week so it’s a necessary tool for me and a worthwhile investment which is why I forked over the $.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:33 PM

I've just received one of these pedals second hand which I picked up for £280 ($360?) truth be told, I'd probably have bought one at full price brand new based on what I'd read about them and based on YT reviews, therefore to pick up a barely used one for such a price was a good result!

I've not given it a proper go but based on initial impressions, I'm very pleased with it. Sounds good, built like a tank but not too bulky. I'd suggest the position of the looper functions could be better placed, but I can learn to work around that.

So far so good, it seems a great unit!

Gone But Not Forgotten...
Martin GPC Aura GT
FAith Venus Hi-Gloss
Old 05-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Let me know how it sounds with your GPC Aura. I have the same guitar.
By the way....what image # do you like? I like #5 the best and also #1 is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura View Post
I've just received one of these pedals second hand which I picked up for £280 ($360?) truth be told, I'd probably have bought one at full price brand new based on what I'd read about them and based on YT reviews, therefore to pick up a barely used one for such a price was a good result!

I've not given it a proper go but based on initial impressions, I'm very pleased with it. Sounds good, built like a tank but not too bulky. I'd suggest the position of the looper functions could be better placed, but I can learn to work around that.

So far so good, it seems a great unit!
Old 05-20-2019, 12:00 AM

My first post in this forum, so hello to everyone, and thanks for all of the great advice here.
I have a question about the looper. I've read elsewhere that there is an issue with it, in that when you stop the loop and restart, the looper automatically goes into record mode. This sounds a little strange, but could someone confirm to me that this is not the case?
And re the comments about the looper not having a volume control, can I assume that the loop volume is automatically set at the output volume of the pedal, so there is no increase or drop in volume when looping?
Many thanks for any help you can give me on this.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Think I posted on another soulmate thread here a month ago.
Like mine. Good at gigs., small footprint for all the features.
Don't like the shimmer adjust but that is me. Goes great
with my K&K.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:42 AM

Pro Audio Star just sold 8 of them for around $340 new. Now it says out of stock. I bought one and they are indeed new with plastic coating and all. I am not a pedal guy and probably will never be so I sold mine for what I paid for it and that was $325. A bigger need for me was to get an acoustic amp because I don't really have a true one.

Im sure eventually they will get more in stock.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:15 PM

I called them and they said no more coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Pro Audio Star just sold 8 of them for around $340 new. Now it says out of stock. I bought one and they are indeed new with plastic coating and all. I am not a pedal guy and probably will never be so I sold mine for what I paid for it and that was $325. A bigger need for me was to get an acoustic amp because I don't really have a true one.

Im sure eventually they will get more in stock.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification