The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Review: 2017 Buendia Jumbo, German/Brazilian

Some of you may be familiar with my Instrument Reviews page, which includes links to a number of extraordinary fretted instruments complete with lots of hi-res images. Several of them also include reviews which attempt to apply a consistent set of metrics to evaluate them as objectively as possible. Those instruments reviewed include:

Guitars:
2007 Circa OM
2009 Bashkin 00
2010 Circa 00
2017 Robbins R.1

Mandolins:
2013 Holst Custom F4
2013 Northfield F5 'Big Mon'
2009 Heiden Heritage Model F5
2008 Poe Deluxe F5

Cittern:
1985 Sobell 10-string

At long last, I have now finally published my review of the Leonardo Buendia guitar made for me in 2017. The original build thread for this guitar can be found here. It took me over a year to thoroughly adjust to a guitar that is unique in my experience, and I feel it is only now beginning to achieve its promise.

For those fans of Leo's work, those who appreciate the finest luthier-made guitars, or for those who just enjoy geeking out on every detail of great acoustic instruments, I offer this exhaustive review of my 2017 Buendia Jumbo. Enjoy.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 12-28-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Great review, Jim. I have played a number of Leo's guitars and have been particularly taken by has mahogany guitars. I've probably played 9 or 10 at this point. However, I always play them when they're pretty much brand new. Leo works a few minutes from me. It's always gratifying to hear these instruments after they've been beaten on for a while. They really do evolve and mature.

By the way, what instruments on your review page have you actually kept? Which are the "best of the best" that you've held on to?
Old 12-17-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Great review, Jim. I have played a number of Leo's guitars and have been particularly taken by has mahogany guitars. I've probably played 9 or 10 at this point. However, I always play them when they're pretty much brand new.\
Leo's work with Mahogany:P Tree, Cuban or Honduran is pretty amazing.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

I love your reviews, j. This one may be one of your best yet. And what a guitar! Leo is sooooo talented.

Enjoy in good health, amigo.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-17-2018, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
By the way, what instruments on your review page have you actually kept? Which are the "best of the best" that you've held on to?
– The Bashkin 00 with the LS redwood top is just an extraordinary little box, perfect for just-sitting-on-the-couch playing. I didn't specify anything about this guitar except the neck profile and a cutaway. Michael's a good friend, and he decided everything else (body size, woods, etc.) because he "thought I might like it." I guess he knows me pretty well.

– The Heiden F5 mandolin was formerly owned by Ry Cooder, a pretty good judge of acoustic instruments. I haven't even thought of getting another mandolin since it crossed my path a little over three years ago. It's everything I want or need.

– The Sobell cittern was my first 'Exceptional' instrument and I kept it for 32 years, but my musical tastes changed and it was being neglected. I have a 'no play, no stay' rule, so I passed it on to a friend a year ago.

– Then there is the Circa OM, which I've had now for 11 years. It's still my best 'all-around-er' and the first instrument I reviewed. It does everything well enough that if I were stranded on a desert island, this would be the one guitar I'd want with me. John Slobod's one of my best guitar buddies and comes to Guitar Week every year, so he gets to follow its development. Every time he plays it, he just nods and grins with satisfaction. I think he'd call it some of his finest work.

Last edited by jmagill; 12-27-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
I love your reviews, j. This one may be one of your best yet.
Thank you. You are too kind...
Old 12-27-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

UPDATE: Michael Watts published today a video interview with Leo Buendia (in Spanish!), and I've included from it some of Leo's comments about his tonal objectives in the summary section at the bottom of my review.

Last edited by jmagill; 12-28-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Smile What a guitar!

What an incredible Guitar! And I believe you have set a benchmark for all reviews to come in the future… Thank you for sharing

I hope you continue to enjoy this spectacular Guitar In excellent health and spirits!

Have a wonderful 2019

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-27-2018, 11:55 AM

A truly STELLAR looking guitar in every regard!

But...did I miss the sound clips? Howzabout some sound clips?...Please even {;-). It would be wonderful to hear it, and compare the sound heard to your descriptions/review.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 12-27-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
UPDATE: Michael Watts published today a video interview with Leo Buendia (in Spanish!), and I've included some of Leo's comments about his tonal objective in the summary section at the bottom of my review.
I did indeed! I just wanted to say congratulations on a heartbreakingly exquisite instrument Jim! I like Leo's work a great deal and I can only imagine the mellifluous goodness that can come from a 12-fret Buendia jumbo!

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
A truly STELLAR looking guitar in every regard!

But...did I miss the sound clips? Howzabout some sound clips?...Please even {;-). It would be wonderful to hear it, and compare the sound heard to your descriptions/review.
There's a link to this guitar being played by Al Petteway when it was a few weeks old in the next-to-last paragraph of the "The Inspiration" section of my review, but for convenience, here it is again.

I've been thinking about taking it back up to Dream Guitars and asking Paul to re-record it using the same mike setup for comparison's sake...
Old 12-28-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
There's a link to this guitar being played by Al Petteway when it was a few weeks old in the next-to-last paragraph of the "The Inspiration" section of my review, but for convenience, here it is again.

I've been thinking about taking it back up to Dream Guitars and asking Paul to re-record it using the same mike setup for comparison's sake...
It would really be great to hear YOU playing it {:-), would it be possible for you to play it and post clips?...that way we could understand your tone/response portion of your review from your playing perspective.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 12-30-2018, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
It would really be great to hear YOU playing it {:-), would it be possible for you to play it and post clips?...that way we could understand your tone/response portion of your review from your playing perspective.
Unfortunately, I don't have the recording equipment necessary. It would probably be better for comparison's sake to use the same recording setup as when Al played it, since all we're doing is comparing video clips, not guitars. I have never played a guitar that sounded just like its video clip anyway, no matter how good the recording rig or player. An actual guitar vibrating under your hands and against your chest, with your ears situated above it just sounds different...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop