The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Sorry you are in this situation. One thing I haven't heard yet is which one would sell more easily or fetch a higher price? They both sound like special, high end instruments, which have a relatively smaller market. If I were in your position I would base the decision on which instrument would result in more funds or quicker sale.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingcolors View Post
due to financial reasons i need to sell one of my two guitars.
a) woolson soundcraft jazz hollowbody (1 of 6 made ) i love the touches of this guitar, the build quality, the body is a bit big for me and the neck is too much of a short thick neck for me. it sounds good though.

b) my santa cruz 1929 000. i understand these don't hit the market much. its such a joy to play- but its so simplistic looking due to it trying to emphasis the 1929 look. its super light, the neck and body are perfect, it gets really loud and bassy, and quiet when i need it too- like a martin d35 or 28.

however, i'm not sure how good the 1929 would be in a live situation or with a band. both guitars i paid about the same amount of cash for. i know i can't go wrong with either. part of me really wants to keep the woolson, but my pref. for the neck has really changed after playing the SC more.

Which would you sell?
so to me it sounds like you like the way the the Woolson looks and is made.
But you like the way the SC plays and sounds. To me I would always choose a player over a looker.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Sorry you are in this situation. One thing I haven't heard yet is which one would sell more easily or fetch a higher price? They both sound like special, high end instruments, which have a relatively smaller market. If I were in your position I would base the decision on which instrument would result in more funds or quicker sale.

good point,i feel like i could get more for the Woolson, his current base models start at 5K currently, but my SC didn't cost that much. I"ve had both listed for a while, and only got one offer for the SC which was about 400$ less then i wanted to let it go for - mostly have just gotten trade offers for the SC
Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
so to me it sounds like you like the way the the Woolson looks and is made.
But you like the way the SC plays and sounds. To me I would always choose a player over a looker.
yes, that does sum it up. I keep on trying to make the woolson more to suit my style. but over time, i have learned i'm much more of an acoustic guy vs an electric guy.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:32 AM

OK so you are trending more toward acoustic playing and the Woolson has ergonomic issues for you. That really seems to make the decision. Yes, you could always replace the SC later more easily, but it seems a boutique guitar like the Woolson may fetch more cash upon sale. (I'm not familiar with them BTW so going on what you've said previously).

What I normally suggest for these questions is to consider losing them both to theft. With the insurance money, would you replace either, both, or go in a whole different direction? That kinda tells you which decision would be most palatable after the fact. Or listing both, which one would you regret selling if it went first?
Old 04-30-2019, 10:41 AM

I would keep the Santa Cruz.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:23 PM

Nothing else in your budget that you can cut out? Little things can add up a lot over the course of a month. Fancy espresso drinks? Lunch or dinners out? Movies?

Of the two, it sounds like, as lovely as the tone is, the archtop is less of a "fit." Flog it, and then after things turn around, look for a replacement with the same good tone but a better fit.

"A person who can not cast away possessions at need is in fetters"

- Lazarus Long -
Old 04-30-2019, 12:29 PM

One guitar fits you, the other doesn't.

Keep the one that fits.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
My simplistic logic would say - If I have two things I really enjoy, I'd sell the one I can replace in the future.

If I decide it wasn't the right decision, I can always reverse it.

Once I sell something I can't replace, it's forever.
I agree with this. Santa Cruz is so consistent. I bought a 1929 00 for $2900 sold it for $2700, bought another a while later for $2900 and sold it for $2850. The 1929s are very consistent and you could always buy another with the same great tone, feel and price. I tried to get used to the saddle spacing but ultimately it didn’t work for me. The Don Edwards model has the wider saddle spacing.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I agree with this. Santa Cruz is so consistent. I bought a 1929 00 for $2900 sold it for $2700, bought another a while later for $2900 and sold it for $2850. The 1929s are very consistent and you could always buy another with the same great tone, feel and price. I tried to get used to the saddle spacing but ultimately it didn’t work for me. The Don Edwards model has the wider saddle spacing.
this is why i'm so torn. Paul woolson makes some seriously nice guitars. the fact that he doesn't build any electrics any more, and that this is 1/6 might have me having more regrets. i'm sure i could get the woolson setup better, and if i only play that i could get used to it again. there was a time frame when i didn't play the SCGC at all much.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:40 PM

If you have exhausted all other options I would approach it this way

1) Which guitar do I most play

2) Which do you think might be more marketable

3) Post both guitars in the buy and sell part of this forum with the explanation what ever one sells first the other you will keep.

4) Are you sure the Neighbor next door won't pay a reward to have his mother in law back?
Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
If you have exhausted all other options I would approach it this way

1) Which guitar do I most play

2) Which do you think might be more marketable

3) Post both guitars in the buy and sell part of this forum with the explanation what ever one sells first the other you will keep.

4) Are you sure the Neighbor next door won't pay a reward to have his mother in law back?
i have listed both in this forum. mostly have gotten trade offers.

For those interested, i found some mp3s Paul posted here on AGF of the woolson back when i bought it in 2010- https://soundcloud.com/paul-39-2/sets/rb-samples-1
Old 04-30-2019, 07:06 PM

Can't you sell something else, like your car or your home?
You could move back in with your parents.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
Can't you sell something else, like your car or your home?
You could move back in with your parents.
if i don't get a job this month i'll probably move back east to the parents. my car is old, worth about one of these two guitars (low mileage at least)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 PM

This would be an easy choice for me. I’d sell the guitar with the neck I didn’t like. Neck shape is the most important aspect of a guitar for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion