The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Default Tips Needed For Installing A Pickup In A CF Guitar

I’m looking at purchasing a CF Parlor guitar. It doesn’t have a pickup installed. Do you have to do anything special when installing an end pin jack?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-18-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I’m looking at purchasing a CF Parlor guitar. It doesn’t have a pickup installed. Do you have to do anything special when installing an end pin jack?
Yes, but it isn't a whole lot more involved than when prepping a jack on a wood guitar.

I performed a K&K install on my RainSong. I don't know what kind of guitar you are looking at but RainSongs with no electronics have no end pin block inside the guitar. I ended up using a piece of 2x1.5x1/2" block of wood with a 1/2 hole bored through the center for the inside.

After removing the strap pin I then taped the outside of the guitar with masking tape (I used blue painter's variety for easy removal) over the existing hole.

Now for the drilling:

I recommend wearing a dust mask, you do not want to get any of the particulates in your lungs!

I bought a carbide tip half inch drill bit from Harbor Freight. I coated the tip with wax from a crayon and went to work. if you do the same be patient though... carbon fiber is tough material, even if it is mixed with fiberglass. You will get through it though. Then with the tape still in place I filed the rough edges with the metal file.

Now just proceed per manufacturer's installation instructions for the pickup of your choice and done!
Old 04-18-2018, 11:31 AM

Default Tips Needed For Installing A Pickup In A CF Guitar

Steelvibe,
You gave me the exact info I was looking for. I was wondering if you should add reinforcement at the end plate. I have some thick CF and am considering making “washers” for the inside and outside of the body. I have a carbide step drill bit that I’ve used for wood guitars and the wax idea is good. I’m looking at an Emerald X7.

I have an LR Baggs Lyric pickup and that is one of Emeralds options. I was also wondering where to mount the battery bag. I prefer mounting where the neck is mounted but I’ll have to see what the wiring dictates.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 PM

I don’t think you need any reenforcement of the body to hold the end pin jack. I’ve got my X20 on my lap , so I just reached my lanky ol arm down in there and found that the LR Baggs Jack is mounted directly thru the body with no extra thickness added to the location.

I have the jack on my X7 mounted further round the side, (done by Emerald at my request) in what you might call the “Telecaster” position, (again, no reenforcement required) , The X7’s battery bag is located just inside soundhole on the top side.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Good jack location, Jon, and a fine looking feline!
Old 04-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Good jack location, Jon, and a fine looking feline!
Hi Jim, I would do it differently if I did it over. I would have the jack where it normally is at end pin location and put the strap button a few inches round the side just above (as you hold guitar) . Also change the jack to a normal flush nut.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
In the last year I've put a MiSi Trio in a RainSong CH-PA and a K&K Pure Mini in a RainSong CH-WS. Both were unremarkable installs relative to a wood guitar. I do use a StewMac endpin reamer. So after initially drilling out the end pin to the diameter of the reamer tip, roughly 15/64", I took it the rest of the way with the reamer in the same variable speed drill. I did put down masking tape first before drilling and reaming. After I was done reaming I cleaned up some CF fibers hanging from the inside edge of the hole with a rat tail file. I think you could just drill it out but I've owned that reamer since StewMac first offered it for sale (a very long time) and have used it on a few dozen wood guitars and at least 5 CF guitars (all RainSongs, 1 CO-DR K&K Mini, 2 H-DRs both MiSi Trios, and the above mentioned guitars).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-19-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:41 PM

With all the difficulties in keeping a strap fitted to the typical endpin jack, why would you want to combine jack and endpin if you don't have to? Just do like Long Jon did and install a separate jack somewhere convenient. I would not recommend anywhere where it might get in the way (like the Tele position) but rather just below (towards the guitar back) the endpin and in line with it. That's what Martin is doing on some of their new guitars. And as mentioned, you won't need any reinforcement. Drill away!
Old 04-18-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post

2 holes...you are crazy!

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-19-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
2 holes...you are crazy!

I can’t find a pic just now, but Guild make a guitar that looks a lot like a Taylor GSMini but it has a strap button in the “right” place and separate battery drawer and jack unit about where we have positioned our jacks; a superior design in my not so humble opinion.
Or maybe me you and Guild is all crazies ?

ps. the ol picnic tables do make wonderful locations for guitar shoots eh ?
Old 04-19-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I can’t find a pic just now, but Guild make a guitar that looks a lot like a Taylor GSMini but it has a strap button in the “right” place and separate battery drawer and jack unit about where we have positioned our jacks; a superior design in my not so humble opinion.
Or maybe me you and Guild is all crazies ?

ps. the ol picnic tables do make wonderful locations for guitar shoots eh ?
The center hole on mine is the stock pickup and the other is a K&K mini. They table thing is just a lil thing I made to go with some long benches I made for extra seating around my pool for parties and guitar posing...going for a lil Zen like feel..

A certain Irishman and Lisa (remember her and her Shorty (not in photo) she spent a lot of time on getting set up here in Phoenix)...Alistair has foot on said table ..

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-19-2018, 05:38 AM

And my X-10

Old 04-19-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
This may or may not help you, but here's an inside view of my Emerald X7 with K&K mini and end pin jack installation.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 04-19-2018, 07:03 AM

That's a really good inside photo.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
That's a really good inside photo.
Thanks.
Used my GoPro camera.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber