The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-05-2018, 05:19 PM

Default Neck reset?

My “new” 1936 Gibson L-00 is slightly out of specs for true. Very nice neck is slightly off, but plays great on the first 8-10 frets. I’m the vintage sax guy looking for Grover 3-on-plates with the Gibby peg stock “open book” outline.
My Q here is, should I have the neck reset?
Luthier is saving orig saddle and setting a new lower bone saddle that will correct most of the minor prob, and I’m a REALLY bad strummer and not so bad songwriter that doesn’t have a future as a guitar god. I’d leave a vintage sax alone when possible. Shouldn’t I do the same with this guitar?
Old 04-05-2018, 06:32 PM

Have someone knowledgable look at it.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:29 AM

If you just wanted "a guitar" I am sure you would have bought something new and not a 1936 Gibby L-00.....

That said, my question is what do you want and need from this instrument? A neck reset on a vintage Gibson is no small matter......Twice the difficulty of a Martin neck job as there is much finish work to be done on these. And finding someone who can do the finish repair part and do it well with correct type materials is getting harder and harder. My general over the phone quote for these type jobs is $750 and up. The up depending on what else we see and find like frets, nut, hidden structural issues,etc.....

Perhaps action may be improved to good specs with a good fret job using maybe a bit of compression fretting to push the neck a wee bit since it "plays well" to the 10th.... but would need to see to evaluate.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:46 AM

Thumbs up on Brian's post above.

In addition, whether compression fretting is necessary or not (this is used to help correct overly bowed necks when the truss rod has lost its capability to fully adjust the neck bow), fretting with extra tall frets can allow a skilled pro to plane a "taper) to the fret surface, which can help make slight neck angle compensations while avoiding a serious and costly neck reset.

A KNOWLEDGEABLE pro should be able to do a full evaluation. (Pro suggests quality of work, but really a "pro" is someone who does the work for their income, and doesn't in actuality equate with quality of work. There are many pros out their making their money doing guitar work who are only mediocre with their quality.)

Is the luthier doing the saddle work not confident in answering your questions about a neck reset?? Or are you just looking for a second opinion...?

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Default Second opinion helps

TY, I’m a performing saxophonist, my guitarists steered me to the highly skilled pro they use. This guitar was an amazing barn find. Current plan is just to use a lower saddle and adjust truss rod only. The neck is straight and the frets are fine. Should play fine for my song writer purposes. I’m pretty savvy to the do’s and donts of my vintage saxes, but not so much on guitars. Don’t want to hurt this beauty or devalue it.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:19 AM

I have to agree. There are many pros out THERE making their money doing guitar work who are only mediocre with their quality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair