The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-22-2018, 05:24 PM

Default Recommend me an electric guitar

I've never had any spending money due to chronic illness, so I just use whatever instruments are available. Due to that, I've been playing a Strat for 15 years now!

Fortunately I've made some recent improvements and have a little more income to work with now. I still like playing a Strat, but I'd like more frets to work with. Too often while playing classic rock solos, I'll have to play certain parts an octave lower because there aren't enough frets.

Although I have a little money to play with now, I don't want to spend too much. Which electric guitar(s) would you recommend to someone like me?
Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

A Gibson SG will give you the most room to work with. https://reverb.com/p/gibson-sg-speci...lectric-guitar Or an Epiphone SG. https://reverb.com/item/6922070-epip...ntage-sunburst
Old 03-22-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
A Gibson SG will give you the most room to work with. Or an Epiphone SG.
I'm a big Sabbath fan... great answer!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've posted these before. I've got a couple of pages on my website that address electric guitar choice without shoving choices down your throat. They are HERE and HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-22-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
A Gibson SG will give you the most room to work with. https://reverb.com/p/gibson-sg-speci...lectric-guitar Or an Epiphone SG. https://reverb.com/item/6922070-epip...ntage-sunburst
They give great access to the frets, but not more of them (well, maybe one more if the Strat has 21 vs 22.)

For more (24) frets, A PRS SE 24-fret model (like a Custom 24) might be a good choice.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
A Gibson SG will give you the most room to work with...
Many of the '18 SG's have two-octave necks, and scale in somewhere in the low- to mid-six-pound range - should be right up your alley...
Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 PM

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling...tric-Guitar.gc

Had a 7 string JP series and it was an amazingly well built guitar for any price. The fact that it was less than $700 really blew me away. Playability and tone was amazing too. 24 jumbo frets, same scale as a Strat so you’ll feel right at home. And the forearm “scoop” makes it even more comfortable than the traditional Strat forearm contour.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:50 AM

If you want a cheap 24 fret "rock" guitar the Ibanez S521 is great value for money.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...berry-sunburst

Here in the UK they are available with plain oiled mahogany body, very nice.
I must admit I don't like the pointy headstock but they are very light and comfy to hold.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-23-2018, 04:18 PM

One thing to consider - it you get a couple of extra frets on the fretboard it may push the neck pickup closer to the bridge which changes the tone some.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
One thing to consider - it you get a couple of extra frets on the fretboard it may push the neck pickup closer to the bridge which changes the tone some.

Yep. 24 fret guitars have pickups that are closer together. In H/H configuration, this is almost a good thing, since it brightens those muddy sounding neck humbuckers a bit.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkmaster View Post
I've never had any spending money due to chronic illness, so I just use whatever instruments are available. Due to that, I've been playing a Strat for 15 years now!

Fortunately I've made some recent improvements and have a little more income to work with now. I still like playing a Strat, but I'd like more frets to work with. Too often while playing classic rock solos, I'll have to play certain parts an octave lower because there aren't enough frets.

Although I have a little money to play with now, I don't want to spend too much. Which electric guitar(s) would you recommend to someone like me?
I suggest delaying gratification and trying lots of stuff. When you travel to shops try to test guitars with same model or similar amp.

To me this is a really personal thing. I'll be honest and say I didn't care for pointy and overly fancy guitars but enjoyed trying all sorts. I totally love the tone and playing of semi-hollow models built like ES-335. I have always wanted to have a Telecaster since my first. My keepers are a Telecaster and semi-hollow humbucker type but I think you should go try lots of stuff and decide yourself.

Consider amps too. My really sweet Yamaha THR practice amp and my Princeton Reverb are as much of the best parts of electric experience as the guitars.

Watch craigslist. Nice items always show up. If not keepers, some of my craigslist purchases have been a wash if I sold them or kind of like a $50-200 rental fee for having the item .5 to 5 years.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:22 PM

I recommend trying a PRS. Then buy one used because you cannot beat the bang for the buck with a used SE model. They can be had for half the price of new ones easily. The name doesn’t carry the same weight as others but they are very solid, and very comfortable.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 03-27-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
If you want a cheap 24 fret "rock" guitar the Ibanez S521 is great value for money.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...berry-sunburst

Here in the UK they are available with plain oiled mahogany body, very nice.
I must admit I don't like the pointy headstock but they are very light and comfy to hold.
Also some of the Washburn Parrallaxe guitars are cool though they are a bit more pricey than the Ibanez that you are speaking of. But they are great guitars nonetheless!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
I recommend trying a PRS. Then buy one used because you cannot beat the bang for the buck with a used SE model. They can be had for half the price of new ones easily. The name doesn’t carry the same weight as others but they are very solid, and very comfortable.

Even a brand new SE is a lot of guitar for the money.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:31 PM

You might like an Epiphone Sheraton, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone Les Paul - lots of tonal options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars