The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-20-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Need to level/crown/dress a few high spots - What do I need?

Ok I am going to attempt to fix a few buzzy high frets myself. What tools will I need and any tips for a first time attempt at this?

I know I need a file or files. Can I get anything at a Home Depot or do I need to order special luthier files online?

I know I need some sandpaper for final smoothing/dressing. What grits?

I will watch a bunch of Thank you videos first and hopefully not screw up
I have a cheap guitar I can practice on first.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:14 AM

I replied with photos on your other post

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=507687&page=2

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-20-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I replied with photos on your other post

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=507687&page=2

Steve
Thanks, but your instructions were very general. For example...

What type of file or sandpaper do I use to file down the marked spots? How?
How do I crown the frets? What tools are used and how?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Bought from StewMac, listed by the order in which I use them:

fret rocker, a luxury
diamond fret leveler - Coarse, 325-grit, expensive
double edge diamond fret file - 300-grit, expensive
400 and 600 grit sandpaper - not StewMac

StewMac offers much less expensive alternatives than items 2 & 3, but I choose the diamond leveler and file because they cut smoother, avoiding chattering marks and the extra effort to sand them out.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Bought from StewMac, listed by the order in which I use them:

fret rocker, a luxury
diamond fret leveler - Coarse, 325-grit, expensive
double edge diamond fret file - 300-grit, expensive
400 and 600 grit sandpaper - not StewMac

StewMac offers much less expensive alternatives than items 2 & 3, but I choose the diamond leveler and file because they cut smoother, avoiding chattering marks and the extra effort to sand them out.
Thanks. What about a crowning file?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM

After the fret leveller has flattened the top to the preferred extent, use the dbl-edge file to reduce the flat surface of the top to a thread thin line, visible when viewed at a reflective angle to a light. The rough work is done. Then sandpaper sides and top.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 PM

Lots of ways to do this. IF you want to do it cheap, here is what I suggest.

Get some 3m adhesive sandpaper (400 grit). You need something flat that you can put the sandpaper on. If you have woodworking tools, you can make a flat sanding block out of wood. Then you simply sand the fret level. I'd get a 3 corner file to re-establish the fret's crown. You need various sanding grits to buff out the frets to a nice shine. You can go to about 600 grit and then finish up with ultra fine steel wool.

If you need help on how to do this, then maybe check youtube as I'm sure there are many instructional videos out there.

Honestly, you are probably better of taking it to a tech as even on the cheap, these materials will cost you about as much. IF you don't have woodworking tools, then purchasing specialized equipment will make this process quite expensive.

Lastly, make sure the frets are seated first. IF you can push them down any, then you will need to get them seated properly first -- hold them down and then apply thin CA. Then level.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post

Get some 3m adhesive sandpaper (400 grit). You need something flat that you can put the sandpaper on. If you have woodworking tools, you can make a flat sanding block out of wood. Then you simply sand the fret level. I'd get a 3 corner file to re-establish the fret's crown. You need various sanding grits to buff out the frets to a nice shine. You can go to about 600 grit and then finish up with ultra fine steel wool.

If you need help on how to do this, then maybe check youtube as I'm sure there are many instructional videos out there.

Honestly, you are probably better of taking it to a tech as even on the cheap, these materials will cost you about as much. IF you don't have woodworking tools, then purchasing specialized equipment will make this process quite expensive.

Lastly, make sure the frets are seated first. IF you can push them down any, then you will need to get them seated properly first -- hold them down and then apply thin CA. Then level.
Thanks. Good info here.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post

If you decide on a triangle file for crowning, understand that technique is key. Also, you MUST file down the corners and use tape on the fingerboard to avoid marring the fingerboard. I would not recommend DIY fret work without having instruction.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair