The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-08-2018, 03:23 AM

Default Martin 00CX1AE Acoustic Repair.

Hey everyone

I customer brought in a Martin 00CX1AE for a partial re-fret.
We chatted a little about his wishes and the condition of the guitar and frets.

I took a quick measurement of the overall fret height, and I measured atleast 1.3mm fret height.

About 7 of the frets are showing signs of light/medium fret-wear, due to his playing style. But, with a fret height of atleast 1.3mm, I would more likely do a fret level, re-crown and polish, right?

I've done fret leveling, re-crowning and polishing on instruments with fret height lower than that, without a problem - so I generally don't see why?

Anyway, it would be nice to hear some opinions from you guys - before I do anything

Thanks everyone!
Cheers.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:16 AM

I typically agree with what you state and usually recommend the same unless the wear is happening very quickly. Some folks tear up frets and need replacements every 18 months or so.......In those cases it is better to just replace as they wear out because the closer you stay to standard height the easier it is to match them to the others.

That is of course if we are only talking the first 5 frets. I rarely recommend or do a partial re fret of more than 5 frets ( I may go 6-7 if they are in the 7-14 sweet spot and the first frets are still very very good)
Old 04-08-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
I typically agree with what you state and usually recommend the same unless the wear is happening very quickly. Some folks tear up frets and need replacements every 18 months or so.......In those cases it is better to just replace as they wear out because the closer you stay to standard height the easier it is to match them to the others.

That is of course if we are only talking the first 5 frets. I rarely recommend or do a partial re fret of more than 5 frets ( I may go 6-7 if they are in the 7-14 sweet spot and the first frets are still very very good)
Hey there

Thanks for your reply - I appreciate it!

The wear isn't happening quickly, he's had the guitar for quite some years, so a level, crown and polish it is, I guess. I'll start with that atleast, and if it doesn't work out, then I can always replace the frets. Of course it will require some extra time, but that's the second option, if I even get to that

Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair