The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Patted her down, treated her like crap. She is little, 4-9, 110 lbs., brittle and poor hearing. Her and her other 86 year old blue haired great grandmother flew together. Couldn’t raise her arms high enough in the XRay thing, he kept yelling raise your arms higher. She has arthritis and can’t. Nor could she understand him very well. So he takes her out and pats her down. She is unstable on her feet and started to tip over, so her friend reached out for her arm. He yells, “you can’t touch her until I’m done!”

Yeah, she’s a real threat. You could blow on her and she would fall down. Ugh, so irritated.
Sorry to hear that! A lot of times what the TSA does and doesn't do makes no sense. I guess your mom fit some new profile.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'm sorry to hear of her being treated like that but at least she was still traveling.
My mother turns 89 in just 9 days time.
She can't walk or hold a conversation and doesn't know who I am.
Bruce,
I empathize with you. I take care of my elder mom who sounds similar to your mom.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Patted her down, treated her like crap. She is little, 4-9, 110 lbs., brittle and poor hearing. Her and her other 86 year old blue haired great grandmother flew together. Couldn’t raise her arms high enough in the XRay thing, he kept yelling raise your arms higher. She has arthritis and can’t. Nor could she understand him very well. So he takes her out and pats her down. She is unstable on her feet and started to tip over, so her friend reached out for her arm. He yells, “you can’t touch her until I’m done!”

Yeah, she’s a real threat. You could blow on her and she would fall down. Ugh, so irritated.
That's beyond awful I traveled with a lady wheelchair-bound(quad)and had similar stuff happen...it seems that it all rests on which airport you are at.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks for providing additional reasons for me to forgo air travel - the last time was in the early 90s...
THIS! I traveled for work, constantly. Now I have a vehicle with 4 wheels, that I control, that is what I use. Distant just doesn't matter, drive no matter what is my way of thinking. I'm old enough to remember flying being kind of fun. No more.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:18 PM

On driving. A whole lot of times it’s more dangerous (risk to be more accurate), and a huge time suck with it’s own stress that’s not so easy on the elderly.

Joint replacement and a pacemaker seem to get two of the elderly we travel with getting inspected more often.

Even when storms really messed up the whole system during traveling with family elders a year ago some common sense and fair attitude made it livable. I’ve had long periods of stuck in traffic and that day in MSP airport was not that bad. Read, people watch, you can find decent coffee.

For TSA and customs it’s pretty easy if you have common sense and prepare. You know the drill. Be ready. Take a breath, watch your stuff, smile, say thank you. It works.

Also travel light people. I think WTH when look around and then our family of 5 is able to be gone for 2 weeks with a carry on bag each and at times 1-2 checked bags. Those checked bags are usually filled with sports gear (dive mask, our own fins, snorkel, ski stuff, and food). If you’re taking more than a few of anything stop. Look in the mirror, call yourself out on such foolishness. You don’t need more than a few items when you travel. Do laundry. Look around. You don’t see the pros and classiest travelers carrying the kitchen sink.

It’s not that hard folks. Fighting it makes little sense.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:23 PM

I just finished a trip to and from Sun Valley, ID from LAX. TSA experience was completely different. LAX TSA was rude to all of us in line. Bad attitude, yelling at us as if we were a bunch of donkeys as we passed through the detectors and x-ray. Sun Valley TSA, professional, friendly but not overly so, slow and methodical but not delaying progress. I will not fly out of LAX again.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:36 PM

This is what happens when you can't profile people.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:07 PM

If I were a bad guy interested in wreaking havoc via airplane, I'd get the elderly and infirm to do the dirty work.

In a much larger sense though, how big is the terrorist threat that we should be trading off our privacy and dignity to prevent it??

Old 01-09-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
On driving. A whole lot of times it’s more dangerous (risk to be more accurate), and a huge time suck with it’s own stress that’s not so easy on the elderly.

Joint replacement and a pacemaker seem to get two of the elderly we travel with getting inspected more often.

Even when storms really messed up the whole system during traveling with family elders a year ago some common sense and fair attitude made it livable. I’ve had long periods of stuck in traffic and that day in MSP airport was not that bad. Read, people watch, you can find decent coffee.

For TSA and customs it’s pretty easy if you have common sense and prepare. You know the drill. Be ready. Take a breath, watch your stuff, smile, say thank you. It works.

Also travel light people. I think WTH when look around and then our family of 5 is able to be gone for 2 weeks with a carry on bag each and at times 1-2 checked bags. Those checked bags are usually filled with sports gear (dive mask, our own fins, snorkel, ski stuff, and food). If you’re taking more than a few of anything stop. Look in the mirror, call yourself out on such foolishness. You don’t need more than a few items when you travel. Do laundry. Look around. You don’t see the pros and classiest travelers carrying the kitchen sink.

It’s not that hard folks. Fighting it makes little sense.

Good points, and if flying is right for you, that is cool by me. I agree too that not rushing, making sure to smile, being patient, making the best of it is the way to go. But a quick point on the risk, and then back to guitars. I agree mile for mile planes are exponentially safer than cars. But sometimes it is not considered that plane trips make long journeys possible, in other words miles you would never have driven. I know flying is safer. I prefer to leave when I want, stay as long as I want, stop when I want, take what I want with me, not have to ask "permission" i.e. tsa, etc... I may very well be the minority- every airport I see on the news is full!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
So sorry to hear this.
Echo this sentiment.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
If I were a bad guy interested in wreaking havoc via airplane, I'd get the elderly and infirm to do the dirty work.

In a much larger sense though, how big is the terrorist threat that we should be trading off our privacy and dignity to prevent it??

That is the prevailing wisdom in the anti-terror business, not surprisingly. Post 9/11 airline security isn't perfect and is never going to be, but it is necessary. If for no other reason, it has made airliners a significantly more difficult weapon to utilize.

I believe the OP's complaint lies primarily in the lack of people skills from particular tsa agents. I sympathize with him, that can be a bitter pill to swallow when your loved one is on the receiving end. I would recommend he voice his complaint to tsa. No guarantees but it may make a difference.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:52 PM

Come on folks, you've got to be able to think like the enemy, that "old lady" could just as well had a bomb strapped to her knowingly or unknowingly. I mean your dealing with guys who had box cutters and somehow foiled the most sophisticated military ever and were able to fly 747's unmolested right into building 7 and hit the pentagon with a cruise missile. You can't fool around when your dealing with people like that.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

In my humble uneducated opinion, it seems that the risk of dying from a global asteroid strike is a bit too high. I occasionally hear about people dying from insect stings, lightning strikes, shark attacks, mass transit accidents or earthquakes, but it has been a long time since I heard about someone dying from an asteroid strike.

CK
Old 01-13-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
In my humble uneducated opinion, it seems that the risk of dying from a global asteroid strike is a bit too high. I occasionally hear about people dying from insect stings, lightning strikes, shark attacks, mass transit accidents or earthquakes, but it has been a long time since I heard about someone dying from an asteroid strike.

CK
Ya, but you never really know do you? I think it's best to stay in a heightened state of fear. Killer rabbits are everywhere, the most foul, cruel and bad tempered rodent you've ever set your eyes on. He's out there somewhere and I think it's best to stay vigilante. After all, eternal vigilance is the price of liberty and freedom.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap View Post
So Sad . From what I read , they make $11 an hour , Barely above Hamburger flippers . Have to be US Citizen or " US NATIONAL" ??
I guess that means Samoa or something ? Never heard that term used before ? ..
OP, sorry to hear your story. But, we are victims of our own circumstances. This is a result of inclusionism.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic