The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Default Mom is 86 and the TSA .......

Patted her down, treated her like crap. She is little, 4-9, 110 lbs., brittle and poor hearing. Her and her other 86 year old blue haired great grandmother flew together. Couldn’t raise her arms high enough in the XRay thing, he kept yelling raise your arms higher. She has arthritis and can’t. Nor could she understand him very well. So he takes her out and pats her down. She is unstable on her feet and started to tip over, so her friend reached out for her arm. He yells, “you can’t touch her until I’m done!”

Yeah, she’s a real threat. You could blow on her and she would fall down. Ugh, so irritated.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:02 PM

I'm sorry to hear of her being treated like that but at least she was still traveling.
My mother turns 89 in just 9 days time.
She can't walk or hold a conversation and doesn't know who I am.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-08-2018, 07:09 PM

So sorry to hear. I understand my mom is in a assisted living place out of state. I wanted her to stay with me and my wife but she won't leave Vegas. She is in the Hospital now from high sugar, she is 91. I feel so lost.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:13 PM

You guys are going through the wrong airports; my mother went through Newark of all places. She is turning 78 in a few weeks and was spared all of that. They even offered to get her a wheelchair so that she'd be spared any TSA nonsense. Afterward she told me that they said that anyone over 74 didn't have to even take their shoes off.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccortes285 View Post
So sorry to hear. I understand my mom is in a assisted living place out of state. I wanted her to stay with me and my wife but she won't leave Vegas. She is in the Hospital now from high sugar, she is 91. I feel so lost.
So sorry to hear this.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'm sorry to hear of her being treated like that but at least she was still traveling.
My mother turns 89 in just 9 days time.
She can't walk or hold a conversation and doesn't know who I am.
I dread the day. Hang in there.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:36 PM

Thank you,I am caring now for my wife who had heart attack 6 months ago. Hard to change your diet and exercise 5 days a week,then add mom's alone up there.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:38 PM

I have TSA Pre but found out the hard way that it you admit you have metal in your body (a ton of titanium in my ankle) all bets are off. These days I have to use a wheelchair to get around an airport (partially because of that titanium) and if they ask me about metal i simply say no. They leave me alone.

I doubt it would help but I'd put in a complaint to TSA just on princiiple.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Patted her down, treated her like crap. She is little, 4-9, 110 lbs., brittle and poor hearing. Her and her other 86 year old blue haired great grandmother flew together. Couldn’t raise her arms high enough in the XRay thing, he kept yelling raise your arms higher. She has arthritis and can’t. Nor could she understand him very well. So he takes her out and pats her down. She is unstable on her feet and started to tip over, so her friend reached out for her arm. He yells, “you can’t touch her until I’m done!”

Yeah, she’s a real threat. You could blow on her and she would fall down. Ugh, so irritated.
This is utterly unacceptable and completely unnecessary. I would be as mad as you are. I hope you complain to TSA management and to as many levels of politicians as you can.

The job is important, but no need for thugs.
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-09-2018, 07:27 AM

This happens a lot. I have TSA Pre-check but I've still experienced over zealous TSA personnel who will still swab my purse for explosives and carefully inspect each coin in my change purse.

I flew out of the Phoenix airport in September and they practically strip searched a 75 year old woman in a wheel chair. It was her first time flying without her husband and she was a nervous wreck by the time she got to the gate. I felt really sorry for her.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for providing additional reasons for me to forgo air travel - the last time was in the early 90s...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-09-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post

We just went through this with 3 late octogenarians. My other in law gets grief all the way through because she's been here with a green card since 1962. Yeah you could say it's silly but my mother in law and mother had the right attitude. Understand it's a system one of us won't change at that moment so don't stoop to any levels below you.

My mother has it the most right - smile at everyone and for everything even if that's not how you really feel inside. It may help with others. It helps you regardless.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:03 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Understand it's a system one of us won't change at that moment so don't stoop to any levels below you.

My mother has it the most right - smile at everyone and for everything even if that's not how you really feel inside. It may help with others. It helps you regardless.
+1

My Mom never flew till my Dad passed and we had to fly him north. It was her first plane trip at 77. It was before 9/11. After 9/11 at 85 years old, her sister passed and she flew again. Similar to what happen to Horse's mother, it happened to my Mom. A white haired 85 year old, 5'1", 120 lbs, with arthritis. She had six heart attacks by then, and had a pace maker, so they had to do a pat down. She also wore a hearing aid, and could not understand their instructions. Through it all, she simply complied and smiled.

Given this was her 2nd flight ever, and after 9/11, on the plane she asked me if they do this to everyone all the time, and humorously wondered if she looked like a terror threat.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 01-09-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:05 AM

So Sad . From what I read , they make $11 an hour , Barely above Hamburger flippers . Have to be US Citizen or " US NATIONAL" ??
I guess that means Samoa or something ? Never heard that term used before ? ..
Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 AM

If the security check was not so annoying and given to most everyone,
then how many $85 pre check passes do you think they would sell?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic