The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 AM

Default Mic to go with LR Baggs Lyric

Hey!

I've ordered my LR Baggs Lyric and I'm looking for a microphone to pair with it for recording.

I'll be using a Focusrite USB interface.

Should I get a 200$ microphone or get a EHX tube pre amp and a 100$ microphone?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM

The Lyric (as has been discussed in depth) is a strange bird. There's a lot going on and the boundary principle coupled with what I suspect is some phase manipulation in the lower frequency range make it VERY difficult to use with a mic. There's always, no matter where and how phase is inverted, some strangeness going on when I've experimented with a mic and the Lyric. Strange enough to make me not use that combination.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
The Lyric (as has been discussed in depth) is a strange bird. There's a lot going on and the boundary principle coupled with what I suspect is some phase manipulation in the lower frequency range make it VERY difficult to use with a mic. There's always, no matter where and how phase is inverted, some strangeness going on when I've experimented with a mic and the Lyric. Strange enough to make me not use that combination.
I'm not sure I understand. Is it a question of latency?

On the LR Baggs' youtube channel, there are demos where the vocal mic is capturing the guitar also. I'm a bit confused.

Last edited by WoodBlues; 05-15-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBlues View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Is it a question of latency?

On the LR Baggs' youtube channel, there are demos where the vocal mic is capturing the guitar also. I'm a bit confused.
I don't see any LR Baggs demos where a vocal mic is capturing the guitar. Most of LR Baggs demos have had separate tracks posted to indeed show the isolation of both the vocal mic vs the Lyric.

As far as being confused there is (and always have been) phase coherency problems with things that are mic'd from two sides of the sound source. Ya can't mic a snare from from the top and bottom without phase cancellation. You can't mic a guitar cabinet from both the front and back without a major price to pay in phase issues. The same is absolutely true with the Lyric and I suspect to a greater degree because I'm guessing they (LR Baggs) are playing with phase to cancel out some of the frequencies that cause low end boxiness.

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 05-15-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling is embarresing
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I don't see any LR Baggs demos where a vocal mic is capturing the guitar. Most of LR Baggs demos have had separate tracks posted to indeed show the isolation of both the vocal mic vs the Lyric.

As far as being confused there is (and always have been) phase coheriency problems with things that are mic'd from two sides of the sound source. Ya can't mic a snare from from the top and bottom without phase cancelation. You can't mic a guitar cabinet from both the front and back without a major price to pay in phase issues. The same is absolutely true with the Lyric and I suspect to a greater degree because I'm guess they (LR Baggs) are playing with phase to cancel out some of the frequencies that cause low end boxiness.
Oh ok, great to know. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Oh ok, great to know. Thanks!
BTW, I got myself a tube preamp with a phase inverter and I've emailed LR Baggs, they confirmed it will work well.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
BTW, I got myself a tube preamp with a phase inverter and I've emailed LR Baggs, they confirmed it will work well.
Cool! Im glad it will work for you. I'm infinitely familiar with the idea and art of reversing phase for purposes of recording. In fact in my line of work if I try to ship something out of phase the feed company will reject it. If the feed company rejects it I lose my job. It's entirely safe to say I ride the phase meters like white on rice 12 hours a day. The Lyric (for me) behaved extremely poorly no matter who, how and or why I switch the phase. I did it in every combination humanly possible. I'm sure you'll have better luck though!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD