The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 AM

Default So what else do I need??

I have a zoom R8, cubase LE , and a Radial ProDI. I will be recording intruments only. Bass and acoustic will be direct in. So I will need a mic for electric guitar amp and acoustic. I have an art mic tube preamp. Would you use that inline??

So mic and what else.
Guild Gad F-130CRE
Yamaha FG 110
Eastman MD305 Mandolin
65 Fender DRRI
Loads of Effects

Last edited by gatogordo; 05-09-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogordo View Post
I have a zoom R8, cubase LE , and a Radial ProDI. I will be recording intruments only. Bass and acoustic will be direct in. So I will need a mic for electric guitar amp and acoustic. I have an art mic tube preamp. Would you use that inline??

So mic and what else.
Hi gatogordo...

So are you going to plug the acoustic directly in, or record it with the mic, or record the acoustic amp with a mic? I cannot quite make out which by your post. If it were me, I'd just mic the acoustic instead of going in directly (if the acoustic sounds good enough as an acoustic).

I've recorded bass direct both just plugged into the interface, and through a tube preamp. Really depends on the bass and the sound I get, and the equipment at hand. I like tube preamps for adding warmth to digital recordings, but warm is not always the sound one if going for. I even had a bassist who preferred we record his bass from the amp (mic not direct)...and it sounded great.

If your ART preamp is the cheap tube type ($50 model) I'd probably avoid it as those tend to add a lot of line noise. If it's one of the $300-600 models, it would be great probably.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Studio monitors, closed back headphones, mic stand(s) and cables come to mind.

Depending on what mic(s) you get you may need to buy a shockmount, if it doesn't come with one.

I suggest, if you can afford it, buy a pair of decent small diaphragm condenser mics ie. Oktava MK012's, and a decent large diaphragm condenser (LDC) mic as well as a good dynamic mic.

In the past I've had pretty great results recording guitar cabinets with a Rode NTK paired with a Sennheiser E609.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi gatogordo...

So are you going to plug the acoustic directly in, or record it with the mic, or record the acoustic amp with a mic? I cannot quite make out which by your post. If it were me, I'd just mic the acoustic instead of going in directly (if the acoustic sounds good enough as an acoustic).

I've recorded bass direct both just plugged into the interface, and through a tube preamp. Really depends on the bass and the sound I get, and the equipment at hand. I like tube preamps for adding warmth to digital recordings, but warm is not always the sound one if going for. I even had a bassist who preferred we record his bass from the amp (mic not direct)...and it sounded great.

If your ART preamp is the cheap tube type ($50 model) I'd probably avoid it as those tend to add a lot of line noise. If it's one of the $300-600 models, it would be great probably.

I will either mic the acoustic or dirct in. The amp is for electric guitar.
Guild Gad F-130CRE
Yamaha FG 110
Eastman MD305 Mandolin
65 Fender DRRI
Loads of Effects
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM

Mics for electric guitar amp:

Shure SM57

MXL MCA SP-1 (if your art provides Phantom Power)

Here's my review of the SP-1.

http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com...enser-mic.html

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD