The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM

Default New HK Lucas Nano 300

Just got my new Lucas Nano 300 and had time to set it up with my various guitars. I was curious to hear how the small satelite speakers did with the overall tone. After much tweaking of my Boss VE-8 I got a great sound from the Nano300. I have placed the two satellites on mic stands about ten feet away from and the sub right next to me. Wanted to see if I could hear both satellites well and if the sub gave me feedback probs. Great clarity from the satellites and no feedback with high volume. This is a huge change from my LD Systems Dave 8 Roadie that gives me feedback probs and weighs much more. The sub on the Nano is plenty of sub to give very strong bass for my acoustic solo gigs. For a party scene a larger sub is in order.
I like the controls on the Nano for ease of use. No eq but I do that on my VE-8 and great success as well as use the chorusing, flanging, delay and harmonizer for vocals. All come through very full, clear and strong on the Nano. I am a tone freak so this says a lot to me. I like it better than using an acoustic amp since I can get better dispersion with the satellites, its lighter, the tone is great and its only $500 new. I highly recommend it for solo or duo performance, for practice, for a monitor, for a home stereo.
right now I have drums, guitar and vocal running through the Nano and my ears are loving the sound. So is my back.

The Lucas Nano 300 is one sub woofer with two satellite speakers which attach to the sub for a small footprint and for carrying. They also detach and can be mounted on mic stands or other stands for better dispersion and coverage. Thats the entire system and it weighs about 35 pounds total. Its plug and play unless you want external effects or a mixer, etc.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

Last edited by hotroad; 09-28-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm happy to see that other folks are discovering the Nano sound systems from HK Audio. I took a gamble on the Nano 608i and bought one when it came out and have been pleased with it so far. I only regret we didn't have gear like this back when I was gigging every night. It would have made the job so much easier!

HK Audio doesn't seem to be doing much advertising but they have some great products that seem to be catching on as folks spread the word. Enjoy your Nano 300!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:13 PM

I've been using Lucas Nano 300 for years. It complies as my Gig & rehearsal PA plus our living room sound system for television & Radio/CD/Spotify player. I run my Voicelive 3X -system into it's XLR stereo channel and usually perform stereo with great, transparent and airy sound.

That said, my system is currently down. I had a cello player come over and we tested the mic/pickup system I built for his cello. The tremendous vibrations the cello system provided (we went pretty loud!) seem to have gotten something loose in Lucas Nano, and now it keeps shutting itself down and turning on arbitrarily after a while of use. An amp tech is looking at it the second time already. Hope he gets it figured out!

If I had the money, I'd go with 608i for added oomph and the mixer. Or just 600 and add the Soundcraft Ui16/Ui12 as a mixer/stagebox. It would be nice to hand an iPad or a phone to a knowledgeable enough person in the audience (my wife, that is) and ask her to see the levels go nice together...
Old 09-29-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbreTones View Post
I've been using Lucas Nano 300 for years. It complies as my Gig & rehearsal PA plus our living room sound system for television & Radio/CD/Spotify player. I run my Voicelive 3X -system into it's XLR stereo channel and usually perform stereo with great, transparent and airy sound.

That said, my system is currently down. I had a cello player come over and we tested the mic/pickup system I built for his cello. The tremendous vibrations the cello system provided (we went pretty loud!) seem to have gotten something loose in Lucas Nano, and now it keeps shutting itself down and turning on arbitrarily after a while of use. An amp tech is looking at it the second time already. Hope he gets it figured out!

If I had the money, I'd go with 608i for added oomph and the mixer. Or just 600 and add the Soundcraft Ui16/Ui12 as a mixer/stagebox. It would be nice to hand an iPad or a phone to a knowledgeable enough person in the audience (my wife, that is) and ask her to see the levels go nice together...
Warning: Soundcraft Ui16/Ui12 have been reported to have noisy preamps, especially if you use phantom power.

Here are noise measurements reported on the gearslutz forum
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification