The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Default red label Yamaha guitars

Can you guys educate me on why the old Yamaha
Guitars are so sought after?
I get that Yamaha guitars are quality
But what's the deal?
David
Old 06-07-2019, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

There is a quality of tone that is full,warm,clear and responsive . I can suggest that you find one and play it and see if it moves you like it has many a player for more many years. Oh yeah and if the price is right,???. They sure have appreciated $$$ wise over the years. Sometimes beyond a reasonable amount.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:03 PM

Primarily made in Japan as I understand. For what it is worth. May indicate expectations of quality craftsmanship etc. May also be a cult following type of thing. Haven’t played one though. (Would like to)
Old 06-07-2019, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Yamaha’s in general are widely considered to be nice guitars, especially for the money. The Red Label guitars are no different but have the bonus “vintage” factor going for them (if you’re into that kind of thing). I bought a 1971 FG-150 in great shape for a little over $300 and not even considering price it’s a great sounding and playing guitar. Have to be careful when buying them because many have bad neck angles but if you can find one that doesn’t need work, or score one at a low price to allow for repairs, you get a really nice older guitar (bonus for them being all laminate so you can take them anywhere if you want).
Old 06-08-2019, 12:28 AM

I've had quite a few of these old Yamaha's pass through my hands. What pagedr says above about looking out for a bad neck angle is good advice - let me add that some of the vintage Yamaha's I've had have still had a perfect neck angle so you will have to check the individual guitar. Generally they are solid workhorses at great prices, the FG180's, FG300's etc.

If you manage to find a handcrafted FG2000 for example then you're in the big league, very comparable to similar era Martins and they sold for substantially more than standard Martins at the time..

1966 Epiphone FT79N Texan
1970 Yamaha FG-180
1976 Guild D55
1986 Martin D16m
1996 Guild JF30-12
2009 Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee
2020 Epiphone FT79 Texan
and a couple others...
Old 06-08-2019, 05:49 AM

Much of the love for early Yamaha guitars I think stems from the fact that they were about the only really decent guitar you could buy back then for a very reasonable cost (for a 16 year-old kid £40 was still a fortune!), and those memories stick. I bought an FG180 in 1969 and it was a revelation compared with the truly awful Aria 'John Pearse' model I traded for it, as well as the Eko 'Rio Bravo' I owned previously; sumo wrestlers compared with a ballerina!
The bonus was that those Yamahas actually sounded really nice and continue to do so. There's a bit of a cult following for the original Red Label series FG110/140/180/300, with the last being the fanciest and most costly-and was the object of my lust back then. I'm a huge Yamaha fan to this day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion