The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2019, 08:41 PM

Default New String Advise Needed

Getting a Godin Metropolis dread next week. Cedar top and mahogany back and sides. Never had a guitar with either woods. What strings can you recommend that will bring out the natural sounds of this combination of woods? I know they are shipping with Godin PB, but would like to hear from you.
What strings are good for a cedar top and hog back/sides? I don't want to try to make it sound like something its not? Just want to emphasize the sound that's there. Would 80/20's be good or stick with PB?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-07-2019, 09:06 PM

Cedar and mahogany - that should be excellent.
I suggest Martin Retro Monels.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Would have to agree with Brucebubs, Monels would allow the guitar to shine through without any coloration. After that, try any string you have liked before.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:01 PM

Thanks guys, with the cedar top, wouldn't the Monels tone it down too much or make it dull sounding?

Just curious what would 80/20s do to the sound?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Thanks guys, with the cedar top, wouldn't the Monels tone it down too much or make it dull sounding?
You'll probably want to try Retros sooner or later. If they tone things down too much, GHS Vintage Bronze might be worth a try.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 PM

D41FAN, I'm not passing the buck, but it's going to come down to trial and error. Experiment with strings and eventually, you'll find the right ones!
Good luck buddy!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 PM

I've got a cedar/mahogany Seagull Artist and I've had D'Addario NB's on it the past 6 months. I find them very similar to Monels. In fairness, I've never heard strings that sound bad on this guitar. The warmth and note separation always shine through - hopefully the new Godin offerings will be similar. In any case, I would agree with trying out either/both of the NB options early on - you may save some $'s.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:48 PM

Thanks all.. I know trying new strings is half the fun.. Guess I better stock up.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:03 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
I don't want to try to make it sound like something its not? Just want to emphasize the sound that's there.
Then start with "the sound that's there" when you receive the guitar, and leave the stock strings on for a good while before changing things up. They might be perfect for this guitar, especially after they break in a bit. If nothing else, you'll establish a baseline that you can compare others strings to.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Thanks Willie, I will definitely give the strings it comes with a thorough workout.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:32 PM

I thought the stock strings that came on my Godin Metropolis were okay, not bad but not great either. I curiously tried a set of D'addario EXP 80/20 bluegrass gauge that I had kicking around but wasn't a fan and took them off right away. I currently have John Pearse Pure nickels (medium gauge) on there and I really love them. So far these will be my string of choice for this guitar. I still have a few more sets to try (but don't want to waste strings too quick). Next I think I will try John Pearse phosphor bronze (bluegrass gauge) and I might even try a set of EB aluminum bronze, though I think those might be too bright for this guitar. I want to keep this particular guitar warm and mellow. Depends I guess on what kind of overall tone you're going for. I really like the nickels as they're nice and warm sounding but have really good sustain and clarity, at least compared to the stock strings. Might be due to the lower tension. I also have a set of D'addario nickel bronze to try as well. Possibilities are endless!
Old 06-08-2019, 02:51 PM

D41Fan, I always try a succession of different string alloys whenever a new instrument comes my way. That said, the first set I personally would test on that guitar would be John Pearse phosphor bronze.

As for what I think 80/20 strings would sound like on that guitar, you quite literally cannot know until you try them.

Almost three years ago now I bought a used Martin Custom Shop D-18 with an Adirondack top and mahogany back and sides. Given Adirondack (red) spruce’s reputation for being treble-forward, I assumed that 80/20 strings would be the LAST strings that would sound good on that guitar. So I tried a set of phosphor bronze strings first, then some nickel alloy strings.

I almost skipped trying 80/20 strings on it entirely - after all, I “knew” they wouldn’t sound very good - but I have a policy of trying at least three different alloys on any new instrument that comes my way. So I put a set of John Pearse 80/20 strings on the D-18, and to my surprise, they sounded the best so far.

I was shocked. “That can’t be right,” I thought. So after a few days I put some phosphors back on the guitar, and a few days after that I tried the nickel strings again. (I go through a lot of strings when I’m in that R&D phase.) But when I put another set of 80/20’s on the D-18, it was clear that those were the best choice. Despite the conventional “wisdom” that bright-sounding guitars need to be toned down with “warmer” sounding strings. Because the bass response was better defined and I could hear those strings more clearly, the 80/20’s actually increased the perceived bass response, not diminished it. And, of course, the treble response rang out as clear as a bell...🔔

So don’t rule any string alloys out before you try them. You might be surprised by what works best with that guitar.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-08-2019, 03:05 PM

Use cteel ctrings!

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Cedar and mahogany - that should be excellent. I suggest Martin Retro Monels.
What Bruce said...
Old 06-08-2019, 03:57 PM

Thanks guys. I haven't had much luck with John Pearse PB lately. Don't know why as I used to love them. Right now in stock, I got;
1) Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze 12-54
2) Rotosound Jumbo King P/B 13-56 I really liked these on Sitka/Madi
3) D'Addario PB EJ16
4) D'Addario Nickel Bronze 12-53
5) John Pearse PB 12-53
6) Ernie Ball Everlast coated 12-54
7) Martin Retro 12-54

At least I got something to start with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion