The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2019, 11:32 AM

I’m going to echo that it’s darned near impossible to identify the type of mahogany by a pic.... even more so once it’s been finished. As a cabinetmaker by trade I have Honduras mahogany and sapele in my racks and while generally speaking sapele is harder, heavier, and more towards a purple tone than mahogany, different boards from different trees doesn’t always looks the same. Add in woods like khaya , and luan and who knows what’s what.

As far as quality goes so called “genuine mahogany”, (from South America), is a better quality wood than the substitutes. What does that mean? It’s generally more stable, easier to work, and easier to get a good finish on then sapele. There’s a reason the rest are considered substitutes to SA mahogany after all. If they were as good or better than they’d be spoken about as such😉

Now as far as what difference it makes on guitars.... I couldn’t say with any authority. I personally don’t think it would make a bit of difference for backs and sides. For a guitars neck, which is critical to stay as straight as possible... I’d want the straightest tightest grain SA mahogany I can get.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM

I just got a reply from Godin regarding the woods used.

"The Metropolis Havana Burst has a solid cedar top (Thuja plicata from Canada) and solid mahogany (Swietenia Macrophylla) from Honduras."

Regards,

Michel Bélanger
support clients/customer service
Godin Guitars

Not bad, only 24 hours after I asked the question.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post

"The Metropolis Havana Burst has a solid cedar top (Thuja plicata from Canada) and solid mahogany (Swietenia Macrophylla) from Honduras."

Regards,

Michel Bélanger
Godin Guitars

Congrats. I had no idea that Godin was making such nice higher end acoustics.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:53 PM

Brand new series from Namm 2019.. I am really impressed with Godin and their semi hollowbodies as well.

Regarding Spanish Cedar for necks, I personally do not have any issues with that at all. If the grain is straight, it would be just as strong as Honduran given its technical specs.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Its by Godin and listed as "Genuine Mahogany" back and sides and only Mahogany for the neck, but thanks to another manufacturer we all know what that means. I sent an email for clarification but have not heard back yet.
This may or may not apply to Godin of course, but a recent response to me from Martin (I imagine your "other manufacturer") re my custom shop 000-15sm was:

If just the term "Mahogany" is stated it is something within the mahogany scientific Family classification of Meliaceae which typically means Sipo, Sapele, etc. (I'm also thinking Khaya since it's also in Meliaceae, BUT it can also be a true Swietenia;

However, when a Martin spec specifically states "Genuine Mahogany" it means only Swietenia macrophylla -for Martin anyway-, which is Honduran/Big Leaf/West Indian. These days I'd think any guitar made of Cuban Mahogany (Swietenia mahagoni) would be labeled (and priced!) as such since it's considered a premium wood.

One problem I've found is that some retailers use the the term "Genuine Mahogany" for anything in the Meliacease family which is even a more loose use of terms than manufacturers.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:30 PM

I just received another email from Godin and regarding the neck on the Metropolis acoustic, cant vouch for the lower end line but the neck is Honduran as well. So Honduran for the back and sides and neck. That is not too shabby given the price point. I think my order is going in today.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 PM

Order placed, shipping tomorrow...I cant wait.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Order placed, shipping tomorrow...I cant wait.
Great. Please let us know how you like it after it arrives.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
That is not too shabby given the price point.
Which is (approximately)?

Do these come from the same factory that also makes their Seagull guitars?

Anyway, congrats on the order and expecting more photos and some soundbytes!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:45 PM

Thanks Jayne, will do.

RJVB, there are 6 separate factories in 4 locations. Seagull and Godin are different factories. The others cover Simon and Patrick, LaPatrie, Norman, and Seagull.
There are 3 factories in Quebec and 1 in New Hampshire.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Regards,

Michel Bélanger
Godin Guitars

I'm just reading this thread now, but that's consistent with the answer that Michel provided me a few years ago regarding a Seagull guitar I purchased, so I'm glad it hasn't changed. In my email response, he said that most of their woods are sourced regionally, where available, but that all of their Mahogany is sourced from Honduras.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:21 PM

It is a shame Godin is using Richlite for the fingerboard and bridge
Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 PM

Good to know Pura Vida.

Jas, they are only using Richlite on the fingerboard only. I agree though. Maybe I'll learn to like it.

Dan
Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 PM

They should consider alternative sustainable wood substitute for their mahagony. TBH, I don't mind sapele or any other substitute as long as it sounds good. Nevertheless, if its the good old Honduran, i hope it is sustainably sourced.

The only mahagony that is sufficiently different from the rest is Cuban, which i feel sounds more like Rosewood.

Last edited by Iain1231; 06-08-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:35 PM

Looks like my guitar..the real deal mahogany. Th "striping" does not look like Sapele striping, which I also have. My 2 cents

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion