The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-16-2019, 03:25 PM

Default End strap pin is loose

Greetings! Any suggestions on securing the end strap pin on my Martin dread? It pops out still attached to the strap at times.
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass
Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 PM

I've read about suggestions of putting either clear nail polish or glue and let it fully dry first. I personally like using teflon tape. (It's not adhesive-- just *very* thin plastic that is used to put on pipe connections to keep them from getting 'locked' on.

Whatever you chose, it's not advisable to put a lot of pressure putting it in. The body of the guitar is wood after all and can crack.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:43 PM

Default problem waiting to happen

A tapered force-fit pin into a solid block of wood is, to my lights, a problem waiting to happen, and a thoroughly unnecessary risk. Either the 'authentic' aura of the end pin is irresistible, which then ought to be fitted to a laminated end block, or a threaded end pin used. Neither one of these will be a split end block/sides waiting to happen.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM

It is interesting, i have seen tens of thousands of insturments for repair and have not come across and end block split from too tight of a strap pin fitted.

Do not get me wrong, it happens and the theory is correct and i agree re-fitment, but for note - have never had one cross my bench for that issue

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair