The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 PM

Default Smoothing out neck binding flaws

I bought an Epiphone Masterbilt Archtop a few months ago. Lately I've noticed flaws in the neck binding along the edge right where it meets the fretboard. I noticed it as dirt started collecting on the jagged edges of the top layer.

My first thought was that the binding was flaking off, but what remains appears to be sound, so I'm more inclined to blame it on tool marks from the finishing process. While it's largely a cosmetic issue, my thumb is very much aware of it when I use it to play bass notes, due to the jagged, subtly sharp edge. Not sharp enough to hurt, just enough to be annoying.

Is there a way I can smooth this out, not so much for visual appearance, but so my thumb is not distracted by it? Visually, it will never look right, as the layer that's exposed is whiter than the otherwise cream colored top layer. But that's not a huge deal to me.

I'm thinking of hitting it with an 800+ grit wet-or-dry sandpaper, but I don't want to try that without knowing how big of a can of worms I might be opening.

Suggestions?

PS: I'm thinking this might be covered by Epiphone's warranty, but that's overkill for this problem. (and, besides, it's already been replaced once for an unrelated issue. I suspect a new one will simply have a different problem)

Last edited by mikehartigan; 02-25-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:23 PM

Don't see why not to smooth out the offending bits.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:39 PM

If its under warranty do not make it your issue, take it back.

It may be an easy fix it may be a big fix, eg it may need to be rebound and refinished

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
binding repair, epiphone warranty