The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Default How can I connect external mic-pre to my mixing console?

I have some questions. I don't know how to put it in words, but I will try my best
There are 12 mic input channels in my Yamaha O1v digital console, but I want to try to use my mic-pre. I have a single channel Golden Age Pre 73 (Neve clone mic-pre).

Do you think I can connect it to the mixer and use it? Will there be a good improvement in sound?
I heard that if there is no bypass option, even when I dial mixer gain hard left, it will still affect the preamp
What would be the best way to connect my mic pre?
Maybe to one of the mic input? Or use one of the channels 13-16 using a 1/4" TRS to Female XLR?
Please, give me some advice
Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant4J View Post
I have some questions. I don't know how to put it in words, but I will try my best
There are 12 mic input channels in my Yamaha O1v digital console, but I want to try to use my mic-pre. I have a single channel Golden Age Pre 73 (Neve clone mic-pre).

Do you think I can connect it to the mixer and use it? Will there be a good improvement in sound?
I heard that if there is no bypass option, even when I dial mixer gain hard left, it will still affect the preamp
What would be the best way to connect my mic pre?
Maybe to one of the mic input? Or use one of the channels 13-16 using a 1/4" TRS to Female XLR?
Please, give me some advice
You want to connect the output of the micpre to either a line level input or the receive side of an effects loop. You never want to connect a preamp out to another preamp in unless you are looking for added noise and distortion.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:26 PM

Some more questions:

1) Which option will be better? In other words, which one is quieter and easier to benefit the sound from my external mic pre?
a. Microphone input with the pad button (-26db) pushed down
b. Line inputs using a Y cable (2 mono to 1 TRS)
c. If I choose option b, then how do I pan it? Do I pan both line input channels in the middle or hard left and right?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Some more questions:

1) Which option will be better? In other words, which one is quieter and easier to benefit the sound from my external mic pre?
a. Microphone input with the pad button (-26db) pushed down
b. Line inputs using a Y cable (2 mono to 1 TRS)
c. If I choose option b, then how do I pan it? Do I pan both line input channels in the middle or hard left and right?
Neither. If the output of the preamp is TS and your line input is TRS, use a properly wired TS to TRS cable connected to one line input only. I believe Rane has a page showing proper wiring conventions for various type of inputs.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Or use one of the channels 13-16 using a 1/4" TRS to Female XLR?
"The GAIN controls on input channels 13 through 16 are designed for use with line-level signals, and have a gain range of –10 dB to 20 dB." Yamaha 01v manual pg 41
Old 05-04-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Neither. If the output of the preamp is TS and your line input is TRS, use a properly wired TS to TRS cable connected to one line input only. I believe Rane has a page showing proper wiring conventions for various type of inputs.
Okay I will just use one channel then
Do you think Yamaha O1v line inputs 13-16 is TR(mono)?
So get a cable where one side is mono 1/4" and the other tip is stereo into the back of my external mic pre?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Okay I will just use one channel then
Do you think Yamaha O1v line inputs 13-16 is TR(mono)?
So get a cable where one side is mono 1/4" and the other tip is stereo into the back of my external mic pre?
You need to determine what kind of output connector is on your mic pre. Then determine what kind of input connector your Yamaha wants to see. Whatever the combination is the type of cable you need to use.

If it were me, I'd go straight from the preamp into your recording device and only use the mixer for monitoring and mixing.

Last edited by RRuskin; 05-04-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
You need to determine what kind of output connector is on your mic pre. Then determine what kind of input connector your Yamaha wants to see. Whatever the combination is the type of cable you need to use.

If it were me, I'd go straight from the preamp into your recording device and only use the mixer for monitoring and mixing.
I am actually trying to use my mic pre for live. I only have 12 mic input and I need one more mic input. And I want to see if my Neve clone sounds good for live. My mic pre has both 1/4 and mic for output

http://www.google.com/search?q=golde...w=1280&bih=705
Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I am actually trying to use my mic pre for live. I only have 12 mic input and I need one more mic input. And I want to see if my Neve clone sounds good for live. My mic pre has both 1/4 and mic for output

http://www.google.com/search?q=golde...w=1280&bih=705
1/4" TS or TRS? Or does it even care? the documentation that came with it should have all that information. Same thing for the board. Read the manuals and do as they recommend.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:57 PM

manuals are your friends

A quick google search revealed that the inputs on channels 13-16 of the board are TRS. The outputs on the preamp are XLR and TRS.

An XLR to TRS or TRS to TRS cable should do the trick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD