The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 PM

It is helpful to practice in front of a mirror to check your posture, wrist angles, shoulders, etc.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've done the mirror thing for years and have found it very helpful.

Another suggestion: practice with your eyes closed, or while not looking at your hands.

Keep Playing,
Scott
Old 06-14-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfThree View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the acoustic guitar, and making some progress. I occasionally practice sitting down In front of a mirror, and wonder if this is a good thing to be doing in the beginning, or do you think I'll end up relying on it? My thought was muscle memory would kick in a some point?
I am self taught and in the beginning I used mirror only to make sure that my posture and hand, wrist angle etc. is correct until I got a hang of it. Mirror should not be used for checking if your fingers are correct on the strings/close to frets etc. You have to use your touch feel. That is how muscle memory will build.

When you have learnt the guitar you will realise that even experienced players land their fingers now and then too close or a bit away from frets or not grabbing strings exactly by the tip of their fingers etc. but they quickly and instinctively adjust because they feel it under their fingers where they should be. So muscle memory is good; but in the flow and speed of song, these things do happen. So instinct that develops through touch feel is quite important too apart from muscle memory of your fingers forming chord shape.

Yet still, if you feel like that it is helping you get going, go ahead; but don't do it all the time. May be just now and then as you are learning new chord shape.

Good luck with your learning.
Guild D120 - All hog
Old 06-14-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The vast majority of great players in the world did not learn by sitting in front of a mirror. It's unnecessary.
...but useful.

Troubleshooting: Use a Mirror. No, you're not vain, you're actually improving your playing: https://www.fender.com/articles/play...g-use-a-mirror

Why You Should Practice Guitar In Front of a Mirror: https://www.jropro.com/why-you-shoul...-a-mirror.html

Last edited by stringjunky; 06-14-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 AM

One thing, with a mirror, you should be able to hear yourself a bit better. Sound reflects as well as light.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It can be a VERY good thing to do. Doing so allows you to visually observe your posture and your technique. If you know what to look for, it can be very helpful.
I was going to say the same thing. Fwiw the mirrors in a gym are for the same thing. Now I know that some people just use them to check themselves out, but a lot of people are actually using them for the proper intention.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfThree View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the acoustic guitar, and making some progress. I occasionally practice sitting down Infront of a mirror, and wonder if this is a good thing to be doing in the beginning, or do you think I'll end up relying on it? My thought was muscle memory would kick in a some point?
Yes, absolutely! And no, you won't be dependent on it. Quite the contrary, establishing great habits from the get-go is much better than developing OK or even bad habits that you have to correct later on. Watching how your fingers move across the neck and how you fret is an excellent way of getting a great start. Most people, me included, have a tendency to hold the guitar at an angle when they start so they can see the fretboard. That's a bad habit and will hurt your playing in the long run. Using a mirror allows you to trust your fingers on the fretboard even where you can't see them directly, and that confidence will translate directly into muscle memory.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
One thing, with a mirror, you should be able to hear yourself a bit better. Sound reflects as well as light.
Yep, that's correct. Ever since I've attached a ToneRite to my bathroom mirror, I have noticed that I look like a stud!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The vast majority of great players in the world did not learn by sitting in front of a mirror. It's unnecessary.
The vast majority of great players in the world also didn't learn by using instructional books, downloading tabs off the internet, watching YouTube videos or using slow-downer software, all things that people on this forum depend on a daily basis.

The way that many great musicians learned to play is vastly different from how many of us here on AGF learn --- usually they started out very young, had a strong support system through family and/or school, and showed an exceptional dedication and perseverance to their practice. In short, they dedicated their lives to music very early on, unlike the rest of us who pursued various degrees of education, built a career in something other than music and started to learn or grow their skills on the guitar as a hobby.

I compare the two scenarios to the (very different) ways that we learn a primary vs. a secondary language.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 PM

The only reason I practice in front of a mirror occasionally would be to see if I was pulling strings #sharp. Otherwise DadOfThree, I can’t see the benefit. Muscle memory IS a wonderful thing, that comes to play more with learning complex songs. Learn to use your ears to hear if your getting good ringing tones from all strings, and/or if you are muting any open strings, or hear any buzzing. Good Luck!!!
Old 06-15-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Actually it’s incredibly and undeniably beneficial, and I’ve done it for many years.

That said, I can’t explain to you why it is so, but there’s been many times I’ve used a mirror, primarily to watch my right hand.

It wasn’t because I was worried about missing a string pluck, etc, but the feedback that it would give always made it easier for me to ‘nail’ a particular section of a composition.

I doubt it has anything to do with dexterity, handedness, etc.

I have also found it helpful for some students. A few found it easier to watch me play in reflection, or backwards, and that’s a visual perception thing.

Whatever...but it is helpful for some people in some ways.

Howard Emerson
This, exactly. As a player and as a teacher, mirrors (and video) are particularly useful for RH technique and posture, both of which should be on the radar of a new player.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion