The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Good job. I wish I were so motivated. I really need to clean out my basement. I haven't seen my workbench in months.
you said that last year lol
Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

So the back braces are in. Somewhat shaped. More to go. The shop is clean! The Butterfly is coming along slowly. I have the brace pattern drawn on the back of the Adi top. I just put in a request in the general area for folks to "paint a sunburst on her with photoshop. We'll see if we get any bites!

Making sandpaper progress.......

Fretboard and bridge wood with end blocks and such.

1/2 done back braces
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Looking good so far! The butterfly's gonna be great! The fretboard and bridge wood look like they're gonna be sweet as well. Definately a unique look overall! Kudos to you.
What? You're not done yet? LOL More pics!

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 AM

Fully agreed on the butterfly. Lovin' it!

I'm thinking a burst that is radiused from the soundhole itself, rather than from the edges of the guitar. Not a photoshop guy myself (in a former life I was a graphic designer, but I don't want to go back there again), but I'd be curious to see what it looked like as opposed to the "traditional" burst (and John, I'm thinkin' you are SO not tradition... ).
Old 08-14-2010, 07:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

He's right, you know.

Gosh, Guys. I kepts telling myself I needed to get into this thread. It's gonna be over before I know it.

Great work, John. I can tell Neil and Kurt are big fans. I love seeing this work in progress.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
you said that last year lol
And he will say this again ............next year.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=191590
here are the Photoshop entries. They all look cool. What do you folks think?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=191590
here are the Photoshop entries. They all look cool. What do you folks think?
Sorry, not a fan of sunbursts - especially with the way that they obstruct the soundhole design. You're best off just using some aging toner or nothing at all. Kurt can back me up: when it comes to visual design, less is more.

BTW, what are you going to do with the back & sides? Burst them too? Seems like a shame to do that to wood that you've been showing off! How do you feel about fingerprints too? Those black finishes really show every little smudge!

EDIT: PS, that lowermost back brace is a piece of friggin' ART!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

I will agree with Neil that less is more. I'e always believed that guitar woods can speak for themselves and I doubt I will ever change my mind, but there are occasions when a burst adds a nice accent to pleasant looking woods.

The McKnight Cougar still holds a gleam in my eye. The burst was necessary for the story that guitar has to tell.

In this case with John's butterfly, I feel the burst is very tasteful. It pulls my attention to a summer eve where the lone butterfly commands the eye to do a double take to the the beauty, yet it demands minimal attention.

Nice photo shot, John.

[email protected]
Old 08-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Sorry, not a fan of sunbursts - especially with the way that they obstruct the soundhole design. You're best off just using some aging toner or nothing at all. Kurt can back me up: when it comes to visual design, less is more.
Yep, I've got your back on this one, Neil. That said, DMZ's version is my favorite...that is, if you MUST paint the top. Bursts, to my mind, are like putting way too much makeup on a good lookin' woman. If you have a nice top (and you do), I'd lean toward keeping it natural. But that's just my opinion...and Neil's opinion...and apparently Mary's opinion...and...
Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I have finished sanding the "gullies" design, glued in the "frame". I am looking for 3" of Zipflex to replace a broken "Antenna" to the Butterfly. I also sanded the top with 220 then did 2-3 coats of shellac. I have shaved and formed the back braces down to almost finished. Last night Neil came by to work on his guitar and watch a bend or 2. I had to guess on the Sycamore. I used John Mayes heat and time chart that came with his DVD set. I used the times and temps for big leaf maple, it seemed to work great.
I put my 00 bending form (Overbuilt like a Russian Sedan) in the Bender, spritzed the wood with water, turned on the heat blankets.... and realized the hunk of wood I was going to put on the base had been used for a sign the other day (long story). So temps are climbing, I grabbed a hunk of spalted Sycamore I was pondering for a fingerboard, slid it under the form. It did the trick. OK up to temp start to bend...... the Sycamore was too long, the spring thingy wouldn't stretch over. I grabbed a bone saw and cut off the end real quick....lol no more fingerboard. Maybe I'll use it on a Uke some day. The form was now placed properly
Lol- I fell for the same "OH NO" I did on the last build. We were standing there looking over the bend while heating at 290 for around 7 minutes and we heard "Crack!" -it was the timer clicking off! Like I said, if you read through my first build log I fell for the same thing!
While Neil drew out his brace and shape plans on a hunk of plexyglass I made my x brace. Today I will radius the bottoms of my top braces and start gluing them in.

For right now- no sunburst I also have ditched the cutaway idea on this one.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM

LOL @ the timer clicking. You didn't seem to "click" until you figured out why the temp was dropping so quickly.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Yesterday I put on the base block, the neck block and 3 sides of Kerfing. Today I hope to get the top bracing about done and get the back on. My goal is close the box by Sunday.
I have the cut out prepped to make the neck. Thats the one that has me ready to puke!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

There are many, "ut oh" moments in the beginning. They will get farther and fewer between.

It would be fun to spend the day in the shop of John Kitchen if Kurt and Neil would be there. I'd have a camera full of pictures to share with AGFer's if I joined in.

I'd be hanging 'round with your little KD drinking tea and eating Cheez-its all day. She would be the better behaved one. I'd be the one syou'd put in the corner.

[email protected]
Old 08-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
There are many, "ut oh" moments in the beginning. They will get farther and fewer between.

It would be fun to spend the day in the shop of John Kitchen if Kurt and Neil would be there. I'd have a camera full of pictures to share with AGFer's if I joined in.

I'd be hanging 'round with your little KD drinking tea and eating Cheez-its all day. She would be the better behaved one. I'd be the one syou'd put in the corner.
You, your family are welcome any time. Neil comes by late I usually take a nap the nights he can make it. Kurt is probably over run with college scholars lol
Vegan Chinese noodles right?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair