The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2023, 09:14 PM

Default Gibson still make 12 string guitars?

Does Gibson still make 12 string guitars?
Old 11-06-2023, 09:15 PM

Yes, they currently make a 12 string J-45: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...imited-edition
Old 11-06-2023, 09:29 PM

Default j45-12

Can't say enough about the J45-12. Wonderful vibe, short scale, beautifully playable, and a great ringer! Well worth the bux. For the first time after many 12's, I have one that chose me. As a gigster its a magnet for all the git people who hear it.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:30 PM

Default Gibson 12 string...ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Yes, they currently make a 12 string J-45: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...imited-edition
Thanks for the quick reply. Ouch! The price! I would have thought they'd have more 12 string models to choose from.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Davis View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Ouch! The price! I would have thought they'd have more 12 string models to choose from.
They really missed the boat a few years ago, by not making a J15-12 - if the 6-string was any indication it would have been a real tone monster, and at a reasonable price...
Old 11-07-2023, 07:44 AM

My first thought was not about the price tag but those guitars got some heft to them. I play a 1961 slope shoulder B45-12. I string it Big Joe Williams style doubling up only on the D, G, and high E. Before that I played a 1963 square shoulder version. Both were lighter built than the current crop. But as Gibson learned early on, lightness of build does not always work out with 12 stringers.

You could always, of course, go back in the catalog. If you go that route, I would stick with those guitars built between 1961 and 1965. Gibson apparently initially did not have a clue how to build a 12 string so simply slapped a neck with a humongous headstock on a six-string body. But here is where the heaviness of the build comes in. While the lighter weight was great for sound it was not the best recipe for survival. Unless you kept them tuned down they were a warranty nightmare waiting to happen leading Gibson to add sister braces to the lower legs of the "X" by 1965. Easiest way to quickly tell them apart is the doodad on the headstock on the early instruments will have rounded edges. Those built starting in '65 have pointed edges. While I have not been keeping up on price tags for a bunch of years, the last time I looked the 12 stringers were downright bargains compared to their six string kin.

Last edited by zombywoof; 11-07-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:19 AM

Default 12 string Gibson

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I don't have the expertise to invest in a used guitar, i.e. buy a used Gibson 12. I've been burned twice now going that route. Lies come easy in our modern day American culture.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Davis View Post
LOL...you asked if they made a 12 string. You didn't ask if they made an inexpensive 12 string. Gibson generally doesn't make cheap guitars (and more ofthen than not a 12 will run you more than a 6) so the price shouldn't really be a big shock to anyone.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Not sure how good this is, but it's a less expensive line:

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Acous...Sunburst-Gloss
Old 11-08-2023, 09:03 AM

Just got back from Nashville, as far as I can tell I played some kind of smaller body acoustic that is not listed anywhere on the Gibson website when I visited the Gibson Garage. And it was definitely not an Epiphone.

I don't recall seeing any 12 strings, but it might be worth calling them to see. There were other guitars I saw or tried there that I don't see anywhere on the website. I just get the impression their website is not very up to date.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

If I were looking for a full sized 12 string at an OK price new, the Taylor 150e would be hard to beat. But it's not a Gibson,..

It was on this forum years ago I heard of Pono Guitars and for a minute they made a 12 string AND they had an overstock sale advertised in the AGF Classifieds. I bought a sitka/mahogany 00-10S model (12 fret slot head) sure has been a great guitar, fun to play, great sound tuned a step down and Taylor like action. Kinda like this,.. mine has different trim.

https://theukulelesite.com/pono-spru...12-s-3220.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string guitar, gibson