The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 PM

Default LKSM-6 flatpicked

Has anyone ever done much flatpicking with an LKSM-6 model? I'm wondering how well suited that model would be for that use (especially detuned from one step to a few steps down from standard). What I've done mostly is flatpick, in a cross-picking and/or chord melody alt-bluegrass style. I'd like to go more detuned, and I've wondered if that model wouldn't be a good solution. I currently use a GS body BTO model that I'll detune a half step, and sometimes a whole step. Get's muddy beyond a whole step, I assume from from the string tension not being right.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM

I owned an LKSM-6 which I wish I had not had to sell and though I don't use picks, I think that because of its size, sitka/mahogany combination and medium gauge strings it is well better suited for flat picking, perhaps second only to the DCSM (Dan Crary Signature Model) guitar.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars...ls.asp?id=dcsm
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Hmm... the DCSM... I failed to remember that model until you mentioned it.

Just scouted a bit and I didn't spot many used (I'm used to that with the occassional scouting for LKSM-6 models).

Looks like a lot of those were 14-fret, and some were 16-fret ("long-neck"), eh?

Tone wise, that's a more direct placement (guitar feature wise) toward the bluegrasser genre instrument, I bet. Was just watching a clip of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEkns...eature=related

He's a mighty good picker, Crary.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:09 PM

You could certainly flatpick with a LKSM-6. Super note definition. Suggest installing a clear pickguard on it if you play aggressively in that style. Cheers!
'05 LX1
'75 FG160
www.pocketdog.net
Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 PM

It is designed to use medium strings at standard tuning. I find mine sounds a little muddy when detuned even just 1/2 step......Now, my LKSM 12 is a different beast, it has to be at least 1 1/2 steps low! Maybe even 2!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
It is designed to use medium strings at standard tuning. I find mine sounds a little muddy when detuned even just 1/2 step......Now, my LKSM 12 is a different beast, it has to be at least 1 1/2 steps low! Maybe even 2!
I picked up my LKSM6 today! LKSM6, with just the upgrade of the gotoh 1:21 510 tuners, and I had a Anthem SL pickup put in it at the shop where I ordered the guitar. Turned out to be a good guitar... I was worried, as I'd never seen one in person. But, its pretty killer. Bass tone is great. Good equalization with that body. We detuned a whole step and its pretty good. If i do that a lot, I'll do like the guitar technician at the shop said and I'll get another nut to slot to larger gauge strings and go thru the calc's to come up with the same tension from one or two steps down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
baritone, bluegrass, flatpicking, lksm