The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Then there is the natural Americana aspect of things which is undeniable in any conversation...No non-US brand can deal with that reality, despite a larger presence in the market...
That is it for me. I am not even interested in Taylors. I had never heard of Taylor when I was in high school or college in the 70s. If I am going to buy a higher end acoustic from a "name brand" manufacturer, it will be a Gibson, Martin or Guild. Yamaha does not have the associations for me that those guitars have, although I am aware that some stars did play them back in the day.

I don't feel the same way about small shop manufacturers. I could see buying a Collings or a Froggie, if I was able to spend the money. No way I would spend that kind of money on a Yamaha.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:32 PM

You guys have me thinking...my first guitar, well, after the sears kid guitar I taught myself to play on, was a Yamaha FG-160 that I bought for 160.00 in Anoka , Minnesota is 1976. I still have that guitar.

Maybe I should go full circle and purchase a high end Yamaha to have a "matched" pair!!!!
Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
You guys have me thinking...my first guitar, well, after the sears kid guitar I taught myself to play on, was a Yamaha FG-160 that I bought for 160.00 in Anoka , Minnesota is 1976. I still have that guitar.

Maybe I should go full circle and purchase a high end Yamaha to have a "matched" pair!!!!
Buy the mystical 86 series and let us know what you think. I've seen these mentioned in print, but never viewed a picture.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:51 PM

"But L20A...

People are willing to spend 3k and way way more for Lowden, as an example.

You have personally seen John Denver's L-53 up close and in person, so you mean to tell me that folks here in the US would not be interested in that level of instrument quality out of Yamaha, even at high high prices like Lowden gets for some of their 50 series custom instruments?, or Martin for their D-41/42/45 series instruments...or Santa Cruz, or Bourgeois, or Collings, to name a few, who also build at that upper end price/quality level?"

Yes I have played one of John's L-53 Yamaha guitars and also another one that was for sale in Aspen back in 2006.
They were both wonderful sounding and great looking guitars.

My point though is that there are not many people in North America that would pay the price for this kind of Yamaha Guitar.

I have put my L-20A in the hands of many guitarists, trying to win them over.
Almost every time, they are polite but don't really have any high praise for the guitar.

The sad thing is that in a blind test, high end Yamaha guitars would get great reviews.
People are simply Brand Blind.
That makes selling used high end Yamaha guitars in America very difficult.
If you buy one plan on keeping it or loosing your shirt when you sell it.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:52 PM

Daryl: Here ya go, well the link anyway, looks like I would have to go to Japan to buy it. Last one on the bottom right, apparently the picture is copywrited as it would not let me copy it to post, I got it on my computer, but it will not download to the AGF.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/cont...eum/index.html

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-17-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
That is it for me. I am not even interested in Taylors. I had never heard of Taylor when I was in high school or college in the 70s. If I am going to buy a higher end acoustic from a "name brand" manufacturer, it will be a Gibson, Martin or Guild. Yamaha does not have the associations for me that those guitars have, although I am aware that some stars did play them back in the day.

I don't feel the same way about small shop manufacturers. I could see buying a Collings or a Froggie, if I was able to spend the money. No way I would spend that kind of money on a Yamaha.
It's all good isn't it? Although those types of considerations do not resonate with me at all, I totally understand how they do with others. You are in the norm on this without a doubt.

I'll give you a perfect direct example concerning how I think. Boucher guitars. A really fantastic guitar maker right here in Quebec, Canada. They make incredible guitars that sound absolutely amazing in their own right, and their build quality is very high. Most I've seen are flawless. I really like them.

I take a lot of pride with the fact that they are a Canadian company. However, the practical side of me will not allow me to spend 2300 dollars more for a Boucher that compares in quality and specs to a Japanese made LL56. I'm just not going to do it. Maybe that makes me an absolutely horrible Canadian...Not sure...lol...I called a very reputable local dealer and priced a comparable Boucher out. That's where the price ended up. I can make the compared assessment because I have first hand experience with both products.

The price point opportunity we have in North America to purchase upper echelon Yamaha is just insane. Whether or not one can seize that opportunity depends on a set of factors that one can only set for themselves.

Build and sound quality relative to price is basically the only thing that comes into play for me. For others, I understand that there are more factors to consider...and that is absolutely fine...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 11-17-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Oh yeh...........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
Buy the mystical 86 series and let us know what you think. I've seen these mentioned in print, but never viewed a picture.
One of those would send you north of 10k US in the States I believe, assuming you could even gain access to one...They are not on any Yamaha website anywhere in the world. I'm not sure what the criteria is to deem you special enough to purchase one of those...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
One of those would send you north of 10k US in the States I believe, assuming you could even gain access to one...They are not on any Yamaha website anywhere in the world. I'm not sure what the criteria is to deem you special enough to purchase one of those...
Not really true since I just linked to a Yamaha website with photos of it and RP just uploaded it...obviously RP is smarter than I as I could not get the photo uploaded to the AGF, but that is it. More pictures are available if you follow the link I provided as well.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not really true since I just linked to a Yamaha website with photos of it and RP just uploaded it...obviously RP is smarter than I as I could not get the photo uploaded to the AGF, but that is it. More pictures are available if you follow the link I provided as well.
Thanks Tom. Goes to show that even a stopped clock is correct twice a day....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I meant on a website indicating that they are for sale for mainstream purchase...that tops out at 56 these days...

i.e.: as follows...see any 86s on there? -->

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 02:19 PM

I don't mean to anger you...you said "They are not on any Yamaha website anywhere in the world", you did not add for sale, so I thought you had not found that website. Daryl also said he had never seen a photo of them so I was just trying to be helpful and add to the discussion of high end Yamahas.

It is for sale as it says on the bottom of that page, but clearly states for sale only in Japan.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:22 PM

From the same website:

"Using only the most select, high quality wood and embodying all of the craftsmanship of expert luthiers, this is the flagship of Yamaha’s acoustic guitar line up. (For sale in Japan only)"

There is a youtube video of one also if anyone is interested.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-17-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

I think it's worth mentioning that the pictures of the LL86 Custom shown are a 2014 model displayed in the Yamaha Museum of guitars from the past 50 years...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-17-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to anger you...you said "They are not on any Yamaha website anywhere in the world", you did not add for sale, so I thought you had not found that website. Daryl also said he had never seen a photo of them so I was just trying to be helpful and add to the discussion of high end Yamahas.

It is for sale as it says on the bottom of that page, but clearly states for sale only in Japan.
LOL

Nobody is angry here man...All good...Fair enough...learned something...I know they are for sale...I can only imagine the wait on something like that...busts my budget for sure...lol...

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they are not available for sale in Canada...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion