The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-05-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The next, rather small step, will be to have the Big Brother party line message being broadcast to all of these TVs, whether in a restaurant, doctor's office, or gas pump. This might seem silly and far fetched, but we are just being conditioned for that eventuality. George Orwell saw into the future...

Tony
Dude, we’re already there.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-06-2019, 12:46 AM

Default No distractions...

Back in the '70s, during my brief residence in San Francisco, I had a favorite restaurant called Communion. Located South of Market, it served a delicious Indian vegetarian buffet, all you could eat for 60 cents. Still some of the best curries I've ever had. But the really memorable thing was the house rules: no reading, writing or talking.

By one account, "the customer had to learn while enjoying such a cheap meal." Urged to take only what you need ("Want is ideas, need is real"), and they entrusted customers to make their own change from the open cash register. And finally, to keep the pupils on their lessons, the restaurant enforced a no-talking rule. "By doing away with useless talk as well as 'distracting' music and wall paintings, Communion hoped 'to let people have a chance to learn how their bodies feel about food.- and how to pay full attention to their food and their eating.'"

This was exactly the kind of wacky and progressive twist that I'd come to California for! Mostly, I recall intense flavors, a homey place among strangers, and plenty of fork and spoon clicks...
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 11-06-2019, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Let's stick to discussing televisions in restaurants...
Old 11-06-2019, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
TV's in restaurants? I don't think this has caught on in UK...

Thankfully.
I think that the definition of restaurant may also differ.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:16 AM

I dont think it will have any impact at all in any type of restaurant. No matter where I go...fast food or high end...when mom. dad, and the kids, or young couple alone are seated, they have their heads buried in their cell phones,...texting, playing games, surfing for shoes...no one talks to the other..So I dont think a TV on the wall would even factor in.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I dont think it will have any impact at all in any type of restaurant. No matter where I go...fast food or high end...when mom. dad, and the kids, or young couple alone are seated, they have their heads buried in their cell phones,...texting, playing games, surfing for shoes...no one talks to the other..So I dont think a TV on the wall would even factor in.
11 years ago, right before I quit drinking, I stopped on the way home from a gig at a Waffle House at 2:30 a.m. for breakfast.

No T.V. but there were about 8 other customers in there all staring at their phones. No one was talking and several of these people were with each other.

I didn't have a cell phone at that time and remember thinking how bizarre it was to have that many people in a restaurant sitting there in total silence...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-06-2019, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I think that the definition of restaurant may also differ.
Clearly there are different levels of dining establishments, but think that we can agree that a restaurant is a place where you go to sit down and eat food that you've ordered. It also seems that the first question is should restaurants have televisions for customers to watch. The second question is what sort of programming should be playing while folks are eating. I probably wouldn't have thought about this topic but for my recent experience at a Chinese restaurant where I watched a decidedly untantalizing show displaying the capturing, dissembling and preparation of large quantities of eels. It was gross...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-06-2019, 08:34 PM

I don't mind tv's in sports or grill type restaurants, as long as they're broadcasting sports. We were in one place in Pittsburgh a few years ago and they had a very violent, graphic movie on. We asked the waiter If they could turn it off and almost immediately a sports show came on. Apparently the manager hadn't realized the movie had been put on and came to our table to apologize.

If my wife and I walk into an establishment that's broadcasting news, politics, or religious programming, we're gone.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
I don't mind tv's in sports or grill type restaurants, as long as they're broadcasting sports. We were in one place in Pittsburgh a few years ago and they had a very violent, graphic movie on. We asked the waiter If they could turn it off and almost immediately a sports show came on. Apparently the manager hadn't realized the movie had been put on and came to our table to apologize.

If my wife and I walk into an establishment that's broadcasting news, politics, or religious programming, we're gone.
Interesting. A lot of folks I have talked to feel the same way about sports except in hard core sports bar/ restaurants. If the volume is up and the announcers can be heard, I’m in the that same group and I like sports.
It seems most of these folks would much rather have the news on.
Since I rarely watch, read or listen to any news, I’m with you on that.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic