The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-01-2019, 02:02 AM

Default My Alvarez Yairi YB70 Baritone Acoustic

I'm kicking off the new year with my very first contribution to the forum.

I'm really excited about this and I really hope you guys enjoy. I've seen people talk about arch tops, and harp guitar, and everything else, so I think this thread about the Baritone acoustic guitar will really fit in well.

When I first started playing guitar I learned on an acoustic guitar, but I quickly switched to electric in favor of fast riffs and all that stuff. It wasn't till I had been playing over seven years that Andy Mckee changed my life. I put down the electric, relearned a lot of nasty habits in my technique (I still have many lazy tendencies in my technique), and I haven't looked back.

So ever since I got serious with fingerstyle I've dreamt of getting a super awesome baritone guitar of my very own just like Don Ross and Andy Mckee and all my other idols. I had bought the fanned fret Ibanez AELFF when it first came out and I wasn't necessarily disappointed with the overall product, I just wasn't overjoyed with it, So the ibanez baritones were a no go for me.

This Baby right here is everything I could have ever wanted. I got it set up, and a fresh pair of Elixir .70 gauge. I'm gonna shut up now, heres some pics and A video if it works.

The Bottom two clips are videos if you would like to hear the tone, as far as the playing i'm going to have to apologize in advance.

[IMG]IMG_0458 by Neal Schiesske, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]129273CF-80EB-4D5C-ABB9-34988D01D963 by Neal Schiesske, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_0457 by Neal Schiesske, on Flickr

[IMG]IMG_0466.TRIM by Neal Schiesske, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Blue liquid clip by Neal Schiesske, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-01-2019, 06:06 AM

Beautiful wood on your guitar and it sounds great. Congrats.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:38 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of acoustic baritone guitar! I’ve owned a McAlister baritone since 1999, and it’s become absolutely indispensable to me.

You mentioned Don Ross - for a couple of years I owned a Beneteau baritone that had originally been commissioned and owned by Don Ross. Padauk back and sides, spruce top, 28 inch scale. Mr. Ross thoroughly thrashed that instrument, to the point where a large portion of one of the sides had evidently needed to be replaced.

But that’s the only reason I could afford to buy it! Had it been in mint condition it would have been well beyond my ability to pay for it.

Another Acoustic Guitar Forum regular, who posts under the screen name Mycroft, owns it now.

Anyway, the acoustic baritone guitar is a great instrument, related to but not the same as standard acoustic guitars. It inhabits its own musical terrain. Have fun with yours.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-01-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
Beautiful wood on your guitar and it sounds great. Congrats.

Thank you so much!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of acoustic baritone guitar! I’ve owned a McAlister baritone since 1999, and it’s become absolutely indispensable to me.

You mentioned Don Ross - for a couple of years I owned a Beneteau baritone that had originally been commissioned and owned by Don Ross. Padauk back and sides, spruce top, 28 inch scale. Mr. Ross thoroughly thrashed that instrument, to the point where a large portion of one of the sides had evidently needed to be replaced.

But that’s the only reason I could afford to buy it! Had it been in mint condition it would have been well beyond my ability to pay for it.

Another Acoustic Guitar Forum regular, who posts under the screen name Mycroft, owns it now.

Anyway, the acoustic baritone guitar is a great instrument, related to but not the same as standard acoustic guitars. It inhabits its own musical terrain. Have fun with yours.

Wade Hampton Miller

Wow...I couldn’t imagine what a joy that would have been to play. I’ve never even heard of those luthiers. I’m really trying to do my research and I’m going to commission my next six string build. I may even commission a seven string. But I need to save at least $10,000
Old 01-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Beautiful guitar. I have never explored the "baritone" world but I think I may have to. Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealplaysguitar View Post
Wow...I couldn’t imagine what a joy that would have been to play. I’ve never even heard of those luthiers. I’m really trying to do my research and I’m going to commission my next six string build. I may even commission a seven string. But I need to save at least $10,000
Roy McAlister used to be the main R&D luthier at the Santa Cruz Guitar Company before striking out on his own. He's built guitars for David Crosby, Graham Nash and Jackson Browne, and I actually had the pleasure of meeting and jamming with Jackson Browne one evening at Roy's workshop.

Marc Beneteau is a Canadian luthier who builds guitars in his home in St. Thomas, Ontario. Once when I was in Ann Arbor on other business I got bored and took a day off and drove to his house to meet him. He's a very fine builder, and has had a long association with Don Ross, building many instruments for him.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
baritone, finger style, new fingerstyle pieces, new guitar day