The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 07:21 PM

Default Preston Thompson D-MA Vs. Martin D-18 Authentic

For those of you that have played both these wonderful guitars which one would you choose if you had to pick just one?
Old 05-26-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
For those of you that have played both these wonderful guitars which one would you choose if you had to pick just one?

The one that looked, felt, played, and sounded the best to me

Every guitar, every time...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-26-2019, 09:41 PM

I took my D-18A 1939 to a gentleman’s house who had several Thompson Guitars. The D-MA Sunburst was one of them. Both sound and feel great, but the Thompson D-MA felt a bit more “tucked in” at that moment in time. Keep in mind that my D-18A has a Torrefied top. I imagine the Thompson will come into it’s own after some time. I also own a Thompson D-EIA built in late 2017. That one also sounds great and looking forward to it opening up further as time passes. It would be tough to choose one over the other; both have great qualities unique to each other. The D-18A I have not played is the 1937 (forward-shifted bracing). That one has different bracing than the 1939 (rear-shifted bracing). I’m sure that doesn’t help. Haha.
2015 Huss and Dalton TOM-R
2016 Martin D-18A 1939
2016 Bourgeois Vintage D
2019 Collings D1AT
2020 Eastman E10D-SB
Old 05-27-2019, 03:43 AM

I was looking at the Preston Thompson guitar website after watching a video on the Norman Blake facebook page. A woman posted a video of herself playing a Thompson D-28 interpretation. It did sound wonderful in the video. I thought their prices were a bit steep, even compared to the forum sponsor prices for the Authentics.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I own a D-MA and have played many Authentics in my search for THE D-18 style guitar. Both are extremely good guitars and to my ear, had some subtle differences.

I feel the Thompson is a little more articulate and the Martin has a smidge more growl. The neck profile on the Authentic was too large for me and that is a deal breaker. A friend of mine has the Martin Outlaw, which appears to be the Authentic with a more modern neck profile, and it is very close to the Thompson. I attribute the difference in sound to mostly be the VTS top.

The prices are pretty similar so if you have a chance to play both, i think you'll find the main difference is in the feel.

Another strong contender for me in this field is the Huss ans Dalton TDM.
May be a few more available to choose from and probably a little less expensive.

YMMV.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:14 PM

I would take the Thompson.
I already have a great Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion