The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 02:55 AM

Default Huss and dalton crossroads

I had a chance to play a H and D crossroads yesterday. And a Gibson reissue Nick Lucas and a Gibson reissue cf100. The H and D was amazingly close to my 59 Gibson 00. It had that real vintage sound that I haven't come across in any new guitars including the Gibsons.
I'd not heard of them. I'm in UK. Has anyone got experience of them?
Comments welcomed.
Nick
Old 05-26-2019, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

I owned one for a couple of years and thought it was a great small-body guitar. Exceptionally light weight, well built, nice full tone (not a “one trick pony”) and easy to play. No real reason that I sold it other than I was moving guitars around.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I have had a Huss & Dalton Crossroads for a number of years now and it's among my favorite guitars. It puts out more sound than its small body would suggest, has a rock-solid bass and clear trebles and mids. I play mostly (but not exclusively) rag-influenced blues and it works beautifully for that stuff and a lot more. The size is very comfortable, as well, and the set-up was excellent when I bought it and remains so. I have several guitars of that general size and style and it holds its own with any of them, including some well known one-man-shop instruments and a 1940s banner Gibson LG2. I find the neck profile very comfortable but that's the one thing that might not be universally praised, depending on your preference and playing style. It's not as beefy as some guitars of this type but it's fairly substantial. Not as pronounced a V-shape as some. More a U-shape. Feels great in the hand, at leas in my hand. It plays very easily and sounds great. Intonation is excellent up and down the neck. Just a great guitar.

I've also visited the H&D factory, which was fun. They're a great small company (sounds like an oxymoron, but you know what I mean). Only a handful of folks work on the guitars and each is an expert at what he (all men when I visited) does. They take pride in their work, as they should, given the quality of the product. H&D are among my favorite builders anywhere.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:12 AM

I can't comment on the crossroads, but I did spend a fair amount of time comparing a TOM-R to other very nice guitars, Santa Cruz being one of them, and I walked away very impressed. I think there may very well be a H&D in my future.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:48 AM

My signature suggests how I personally feel about Huss and Dalton guitars.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 05-26-2019, 02:51 PM

I’ve never been in the financial position to buy one the five or six times I’ve had a chance to play a Huss & Dalton guitar (they’re quite rare in the Midwest and West Coast, and essentially nonexistent in Alaska,) but I’ve always been very impressed with their guitars whenever I’ve played one. Huss & Dalton is definitely one of the best small shop operations making guitars in the United States.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-27-2019, 12:52 PM

I am fortunate to have 2 H&D customs. A TOM-RC & a 12-fret 000. There is some magic there in Staunton. Superior craftsmanship, wonderful tone and playability, and really good folks. Within their peer group, I think their guitars are reasonably priced.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:56 PM

Thumbs up

I have a 2012 . +1 with what devellis said....the neck and short scale are excellent
Old 05-27-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I love H&D guitars and the Crossroads. I ended up going with a custom 00 instead, but I don't think they make any bad guitars. For me... great company, great customer service.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:06 PM

Like the comment above, I don't have a Crossroads but came across a used 00-12 a few years back and it is the guitar I play most as most of what I do is fingerstyle in a variety of genres. I have a Martin 00-18 that is my main strummer, and a Collings 0 that I generally keep in open tuning. The H&D easily holds its own with these others.

Jon
Old 05-28-2019, 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the comments. With so much positive feedback I'm surprised I'd never heard of them.
Nick
Old 05-28-2019, 03:48 PM

Well, from what I can tell they’re mostly found on the East Coast, and aren’t all that common even there. Huss & Dalton is a small shop operation, so it’s doubtful that Guitar Center stores would stock them, and so you might want to check the Huss & Dalton website for their dealers.

whm
Old 05-28-2019, 03:58 PM

If you think H&D's are rare where Wade lives then imagine how many there are in Australia!

I bought a maple H&D MJ Custom from a music store managers private collection last year.

Very lightly built, super responsive and beautifully balanced.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion