The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Here is what you get spending $400 to go from Chinese-made to Japanese-made:

Bone for nut and saddle instead of plastic

Real wood (looks like striped ebony) for pickguard instead of plastic

Ebony pins instead of plastic

Hardshell case instead of padded bag

The two lines, the China built and Japan built, are identical, as far as I can see, in materials and specs for body, purfling, rosette, fretboard, frets, tuners, A.R.E. spruce tops, african hog sides and backs, bracing, except for the details noted above.

At $1,200 street price, that dread-sized no-electrics one in the top line (5), is the one I want to hold and play. Wouldn't it be nice if it felt and sounded like a D-18?

Be nice if just felt and sounded like a D-16 with a 1.75 nut
Old 05-29-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I previously owned a couple of LS6 and LL6 models and liked them well enough. They too were advertised as having 1.75" nuts, but that proved to be 1/16 or so generous. That along with string spacing made them feel a little narrow for my liking. Hopefully, these new Red Label models will be true 1.75"....
I think we are going to be disappointed on this issue, unfortunately. 37mm e to e does not sound like a true 1.75 nut
Old 05-30-2019, 02:04 PM

My Yamaha LS-TA has a measured (and as-specified) 1-3/4" nut, and while my D-18 measures 1-11/16, both have string spreads right at the fretboard side of the nut that measure a tiny bit more than 1.5". Maybe I am seeing a 64th. Maybe not. My digital caliper is 1400 miles away.

I'm saying the string spreads, outside E and e, are in the 38.1 to 38.3 mm range.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-03-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Dog View Post
I'm interested to try these out. I think, if you tack on $100 for the hsc, and $100, for the pick guard, bone, & ebony, jmo -- sounds about right.

I really can't see, 'one pair of hands' build tho'. That's just my guess.

I would be surprised if these aren't worthy guitars, and Yamaha has imo always been solid value.

Between internet learning resources, and the global market competition -- it's a pretty cool time to be a player on a budget. The used market's a wonderland of gas. I'm doing my best to take full advantage.
The Japanese L-series from the 26 up to the 86 Custom are individually built, one luthier per guitar; no production lines.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:45 AM

Default The Yamaha Red Label variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
The Japanese L-series from the 26 up to the 86 Custom are individually built, one luthier per guitar; no production lines.

I wish the F-series was one luthier per guitar (because I just got an FS5)...NGD done...but I really doubt so...based on the rather “economical” price of the MIJ ones. I’ll be glad to be proven wrong.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 06-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

The pickguard feature is something I cannot figure from the few pictures I can see. The base (3) trim PG looks like plain black plastic, while the top trim (5) has a PG that is clearly wood-grained and thicker, but is it real wood? I cannot tell.

The pick guard is NOT WOOD! It is a wood grained vinyl overlay onto the std black plastic type. Kind’ve CHEESSY. OoH WELL. GREVEN TYPE TO BE ORDERED SHORTLY

WELL THE big surprise arrived via fedex today,My new FG5, WOW!
I’ll keep this short and to the point, KABOOM Cannon!! First strum and the proverbial jaw drop. This has one of the strongest apparent bottom end that feel’s like a tympany drum reverberating through your chest cavity. Clarity and projection abounds. Big volume. If your a Yamaha fan in wait for your delivery this is a noticeable power house of tone.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post

WELL THE big surprise arrived via fedex today,My new FG5, WOW!
I’ll keep this short and to the point, KABOOM Cannon!! First strum and the proverbial jaw drop. This has one of the strongest apparent bottom end that feel’s like a tympany drum reverberating through your chest cavity. Clarity and projection abounds. Big volume. If your a Yamaha fan in wait for your delivery this is a noticeable power house of tone.
Yamaha delivers!!!
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:55 PM

My FGX5 is not slated to ship until 6-28. Kind of a bummer about the pickguard. Are the bone and saddle true bone?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

They do have the bone appearance. But I never know until I do my first setup including a saddle sanding. You know it’s bone from the smell almost immediately.. I’ve already pulled /removed the funky pick guard. Lots of tough adhesive not for the inexperienced .Beware should you do the same..

Well worth the wait. The shorter scale length and a little less chunky neck than my FG180-50TH. Kind’ve softened V feel. More like the original FDG180 RedLabel.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla View Post
Be nice if just felt and sounded like a D-16 with a 1.75 nut
I hope it sounds like a Yamaha, and not something else. Yamaha guitars do have their own signature tonality, just as they (thankfully), aren't clones of anything else but are original designs. Take the new FG for what it is, not what it isn't.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I hope it sounds like a Yamaha, and not something else. Yamaha guitars do have their own signature tonality, just as they (thankfully), aren't clones of anything else but are original designs. Take the new FG for what it is, not what it isn't.

Agreed - excited to try one when they are in the stores. Bummer to hear about the wooden pick guard not being a wooden pick guard
Old 06-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
They do have the bone appearance. But I never know until I do my first setup including a saddle sanding. You know it’s bone from the smell almost immediately.. I’ve already pulled /removed the funky pick guard. Lots of tough adhesive not for the inexperienced .Beware should you do the same..

Well worth the wait. The shorter scale length and a little less chunky neck than my FG180-50TH. Kind’ve softened V feel. More like the original FDG180 RedLabel.
Mine's gonna be waiting for me when I get home. I'm bummed to hear the neck is thinner than the FG-180 50th, which I loved the neck on the ones I had, but maybe it will still be very comfortable. I got an FS size because I prefer the smaller body. I recently sold my original NG Red Label 150, which had a nice chunkier v-ish shape...maybe it's in that vain. We'll see soon!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrCLFWwzvMc&t=858s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RVbDWmtcQY&t=492s

Dear All

I had a go at the both the Japanese Made Red Label 5 Series

Had both guitar setup at the right guitar action with the neck all straightened so that I would get the real responsive tone on both guitars on the two videos i did.

Well made all with Bone saddles. The 80/20 elixir strings came with them so if you change them to PBs ..i'm very sure you will get the warmer tone.

extremely well made ..woody tone..easy to play ...my only gripe is the underside of the spruce are not sanded smootly.. its extremely rough. Someone could have just use a fine sandpaper to just run through that and i'm very sure that would have further improve the tonal response of the top.

Would i buy this guitar....yes yes yes!!!!

watch the two videos and comments please...

cheers Jarvis from Singapore
Old 06-05-2019, 10:59 PM

Great videos, Iet me share my new find. Acoustic Letter has a demo of the Red Label FGX5 and I was blown away by the bass it produced.

Last edited by Iain1231; 06-05-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Very nice Jarvis! Your playing does justice to how fine these new FG5 series guitars can sound .Thanks. The setup on my FG5 Came perfectly setup ,E6 @3/32” and E1@2/32” with just the right amount of reveal at 7th fret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion