The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
I think it was you who prompted me to try the Sunbeams in my SJ-200 last year. Which lead me to putting them on other guitars. The Rares were one of my 2 Go-tos until the Sunbeams, but Sunbeams have taken over #1 spot on the jumbos and dreads. I get good longevity, and the tone sort of matures in a mellow way. To the point where i don’t want to take them off. However I find when I do change them I still prefer the newer tone — they have a short break in time for me. Love these strings! Sound great on my D28, so next I will try them on my D18 and Taylor.
Excellent, do you find they look kinda tarnished after a few weeks but still sound and play fantastic?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-27-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Sure have (but on a different guitar) and I liked them too.

Still have a set of the Newtone custom gauge nickel plated round cores I ordered too .. I matched the gauges with the Martin Titaniums you and I both liked!

This Epiphone EJ-200 I bought last year has been a kind of freaky good experience for me.
In perfect tune in the shop - crazy good condition - bone saddle made it better - bone pins made it even better again - DR Sunbeams took it even higher.
I can't believe my luck with this thing ... I'm half expecting to wake up and find the neck snapped off or something.
I'm jealous of that Epi. You really got a something.
Let me know how you like those Newtones. I'm just about ready to break down and buy another set of Titaniums for my J45. As the young folks say, "they're the bomb!"

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-27-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Default DR Strings - Sunbeams vs Rare.

I think I need to start making notes ...
I now have DR Rares on my 314, John Pearse PBs on my AP66 (really like them on that guitar), and in the ‘queue’ I currently have:
Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze
GHS Silk n Bronze
(and now) DR Sunbeams
If I don’t start writing down impressions of each type on each guitar, I fear I’ll end up in a continuing cycle without progress towards the (never to be reached?) final verdict...

Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
I now have DR Rares on my 314, John Pearse PBs on my AP66 (really like them on that guitar), and in the ‘queue’ I currently have:
GHS Silk n Bronze
(and now) DR Sunbeams
If I don’t start writing down impressions of each type on each guitar, I fear I’ll end up in a continuing cycle without progress towards the (never to be reached?) final verdict...

I use a spread sheet. Strings on the left column, listed going down. Guitars as column headings going across and in the intersecting cell I put the date the strings were put on. The left most column is for comments

.........................Guitar A...........Guitar B.........Comments
String Type 1......4/20/19
String Type 2............................4/22/19

Etc.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
GHS Silk n Bronze
(and now) DR Sunbeams

I take pictures.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 05-27-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

pics work!

I just put the set wrapper in the guitar case with every switch. I write the month and year of change.

I just received 6 different types of GHS strings from their glowing reviews here 3 weeks ago.

I might have to get a notebook out?

I am afraid to try something other than Elixir's on my Gibson rosewood. They have been on there for 5 years (12-53 PB). But all of you have got me wondering.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
pics work!

I just put the set wrapper in the guitar case with every switch. I write the month and year of change.

I just received 6 different types of GHS strings from their glowing reviews here 3 weeks ago.

I might have to get a notebook out?

I am afraid to try something other than Elixir's on my Gibson rosewood. They have been on there for 5 years (12-53 PB). But all of you have got me wondering.
This is what I do, write the date in the wrapper and drop in my string boom sometimes I add notes ... the minute the spreadsheets come out is when it starts stinking like work :-) OK, JK — I suppose that could be very useful to replace my memory banks.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-27-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Excellent, do you find they look kinda tarnished after a few weeks but still sound and play fantastic?
Yes, and it’s an unfortunate false alarm, because they look worn out, when they’re just getting better. That is why I use the term mature:-) Kind of like middle age!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-27-2019, 07:44 PM

I just became a Sunbeam convert--for a particular guitar, anyway. Always wanted to try them because of the flexibility and sustain, as advertised. I finally got them for the cheap Mitchell I bought because I wasn't totally satisfied with the action (even though it's reasonably low). Lately I like custom light (11-52) because (now that I'm OLD) it's easier for barre chords, which I use a lot. What I like about the Sunbeams is that THEIR custom has 30-40-50 on the bottom instead of 32-42-52...small enough difference to not ruin the bass sound but still make it easier for things like a first position Bb, along with the flexibility that is already there. Noticeably more playable, and easier than a setup! And although I usually prefer the crisp definition of 80/20's, the Sunbeam sound IS very rich.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:53 PM

BTW, I did try the RARE's once on a different guitar and wasn't impressed. Seemed stiffer to me, though they were custom light, and the sound was not all that special.

Last edited by therbulus; 05-27-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 05-27-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I use a spread sheet. Strings on the left column, listed going down. Guitars as column headings going across and in the intersecting cell I put the date the strings were put on. The left most column is for comments

Etc.
I have a spreadsheet too. One section has the financials of guitars bought, sold, and dates. The other has maintenance dates, including latest string changes. I list the date and type of strings with some notes of what works / doesn't work for that guitar. I've thought about going to a matrix for the strings, but I'm mostly using GHS these days (and a few guitars sound great with whatever I place on them).
Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Default DR Strings - Sunbeams vs Rare.

Yup ... I’m thinking spreadsheet ... while jotting the date down on the wrapper and tossing it in the case, or snapping a quick pic both have the appeal of simplicity, after thinking it through I’m thinking spreadsheet with one tab for guitar acquisitions and any work or upgrades done to each; and a second tab for string changes ... if life has taught me anything, it’s that I don’t remember some details that, at the time, I think I’ll remember forever ...
Thanks to all for the suggestions!

~ Paul

Old 05-29-2019, 05:45 AM

Just an update.

I tried DR Sunbeams Lights on my rosewood jumbo today - took off GHS Phosphor Bronze.
This is a fussy guitar, not easy to get a good balance and good tone at the same time.
The Sunbeams nailed it.
The difference was quite stunning.
The Sunbeams feel much easier to play and their tone is warmer.

Took the DR Rares off my Epiphone and tried a custom set of Newtone round core Nickel plated strings ... disappointing result, sounds a little muffled and choked, there's tone in there just not coming out like they did with DR Sunbeams.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 05-29-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

Etc.
I just put an entry in my computer calendar. That syncs to my iPhone so I have it in both places. I can also set it to remind me in three months to change the strings.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I'm a late entrant to this thread. I'd tried Rares a year or so ago on a Martin 000-15M and didn't particularly like them. Now I'm playing an Emerald X7 and have tried a number of strings. My favorites so far were Martin Monels and GHS Vintage Bronze, which I find to be VERY similar in terms of how they sound and how they play, and the Newtone Heritage, which others have mentioned here in comparison to the Sunbeams.

I liked them all but I with real tradeoffs. The Monels and Vintage Bronze play pretty well and have a lot of volume and are reasonably warm - I don't like really bright strings and these aren't. The Newtone Heritage are even sweeter sounding and easier playing (but this is a 24" scale guitar, so pretty easy playing for any 12-54ish strings I've put on it), but have notably less volume. And since this is a small guitar, a little more volume is a good thing.

I recently put a set of Sunbeams on and I'm really impressed in the near term. They seem like a really nice midpoint between the Monel / Vintage Bronze and the Newtone Heritage. They're a bit lusher sounding than the Monel / VB, but not as lush as the Newtones. They play easier than the Monel / VB but not as easy as the Newtones. And they have considerably more volume than the Newtones, maybe a bit less than the Monel / VB, but not much less. I'm gonna have to play them a while to see how I like them over time and how they hold up. But I'm really liking them a lot initially.

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion