The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-07-2019, 10:41 AM

Default How to record sound going through a Behringer XR18 Air?

My friend is using a Behringer XR18 Air mixer for open mics and I would like to get some recorded audio through it if possible, to use for a promo video.
It has a "USB out" on it. What would I need to record sound in the simplest manner?

A USB to USB cord of some type? or is it USB out to a which input type on the laptop?
A laptop to connect it to (of course)
What software would I need to capture the recorded audio?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2019, 11:02 AM

Connect the XR18 to a laptop with a regular A to B USB cable (the same cable as you would connect a printer to a laptop).
If you're on a Windows, you'll need to download and install drivers from Behringer website, you don't need drivers if you're on Mac.
You can use any multitrack software for recording. If you don't have anything yet, use free DAWs such as Tracktion T7 or Bandlab Sonar on Windows or Garageband on Mac.
You'll need to configure a DAW so that it sees the appropriate device (in the case the XR18) and mixer inputs are assigned to individual channels in your DAW.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Connect the XR18 to a laptop with a regular A to B USB cable (the same cable as you would connect a printer to a laptop).
If you're on a Windows, you'll need to download and install drivers from Behringer website, you don't need drivers if you're on Mac.
You can use any multitrack software for recording. If you don't have anything yet, use free DAWs such as Tracktion T7 or Bandlab Sonar on Windows or Garageband on Mac.
You'll need to configure a DAW so that it sees the appropriate device (in the case the XR18) and mixer inputs are assigned to individual channels in your DAW.
Exactly. This is what I do. In fact, I no longer use an audio interface for recording, since this is a much more flexible solution.

One thing to be aware of--you need to carefully set the input gain on each channel, because you will typically be pulling off the recording signal at that point.

If you are not familiar with the process, be ready to spend some time learning.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

Last edited by phcorrigan; 05-26-2019 at 11:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification