Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I hate working with a tablet.
Hmm.........

Old 09-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I use MusicSheets on both Android and Windows 10.

Work great with a page turner, and I can organize the songs (in PDF format) into various list as needed.

Check it out.

D
Can't find it - could it be MobileSheets?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-19-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
I don't use an Adroid device, but a Google search pointed to this app as fitting your bill:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...older&hl=en_US
Hmmm. Yes maybe the answer is not to be found with a dedicated music app, but with a better gallery. I didn't think of that. Thanks
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-19-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Ihave peole cme to play at my club, using pads of various kinds, but I still prefer my four ring binders.

We can go from one number to the next with a quick turn of a page during applause and tuning check, whereas the ipad folks seem to take ages to do the same thing.
Yep that's me. I play in an 11 piece, but I'm in the back, nobody is looking at me, and the binder is fine. But with duo/trio work upfront and on the mic, they want the tablets due to less visual impact. And I can't disagree, it does look less unappealing opposed to the binder.

Then again, taking a minute to find every song, and then bending over to squint at the thing is not so visually appealing either
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Another Onsong user here
I like the auto scroll feature, which for me eliminates the need for a foot switch page turner within any one given song .

Just set it for the time frame of the song duration i.e. 3:23 and then you can have the font big enough to be easily seen and it scrolls the correct speed based on the song duration time
Auto scroll seems like it could be the ticket. I will look for in android products. Thanks
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
How firm are you on your decision to give up on PDFs? I'm asking because I don't know of a way to flip through images in a specific order in a song book type format but you've gotten several options here on how to do it with PDF.

You might want to reconsider going back to the PDF route.
It was not really a decision to move to pics, it was out of necessity as I could not get the pdf's to work. But, over time I have come to realize that I may actually prefer to use pics. I print out the basic sheet, then add notes and shorthand things to it with pencil, and take a pic. I guess it's easier for me to get the chart how I want it with some use of a pencil.
Also, then the hard copy goes right in the binder as a backup.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Technophile / Technophobe Rant:

User ease and user friendly capabilities lag the INCREDIBLE advances in computer technology by orders of magnitude.

It would seem that useful programs for organizing and using sheet music on a tablet should be soooo super easy for these tablets that can stream videos, run virtual reality, power robots, land spaceships on Mars............

So, in 2011 I bought an iPad 2. The primary reason that I bought the iPad 2 was to put all my music at my fingertips, neatly organized, easily accessible. This should be SO EASY, I thought......just scan the music into PDF files and put the PDF files on the iPad 2.

Eventually I did achieve my goal. sort of. It was not an easy path. I believe that it is now much easier with the newer iPads. Maybe.

And then about 2 years ago, downloading one of the iPad operating system updates WIPED OUT MY WHOLE IBOOKS LIBRARY.

I was (I still am) DEVASTATED.

I spent HOURS on the phone with Apple reps. They eventually worked me up the pipeline to one of the senior senior super troubleshooting reps. We did "Screensharing" with both iMac and iPad. All the reps were befuddled, because not one of them could find a way to transfer pdfs from the iMac to the iPad. The functionality was lost. The techs had me update operating systems on both the iMac and the iPad. There is only one way to get the sheet music pdfs back on the iPad: email the pdfs to myself and then download them from my email on my iPad to iBooks. And the big problem is that gmail limits the size of pdfs to way smaller than most of the pdfs that I have. I went from having most of my scanned library of music at my fingertips to having only about 2 % of my library back on the iPad. I went from using my iPad to read music EVERY day to hardly using it at all.

This is an example of the problems that I have experienced with computers in MULTIPLE ways over the past 4 decades, including numerous on-line medical records systems, web site transactions etc.: Technology NOT working the way that it is supposed to work. Programs crashing. "Upgrades" wreaking havoc on systems. Lost information.

For all the truly wonderful things that computer technology does FOR us, the time wasting and frustrations when things don't work right, or when how to accomplish something is so non-intuitive that the un-initiated will NEVER figure it out is MADDENING, DANGEROUS, DAMAGING.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:26 PM

I use songbook. I cut and paste lyrics from the internet and I can even do the work on a computer if I’m writing charts. I just email it to myself and cut and paste it into my iPad or iPhone.

It all backs up to Dropbox and I can use my phone if I forget my iPad. Once you get the hang of it, it makes everything easier. I’m 43 and had to ask a buddy for help to get started, but it’s a breeze now.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Technophile / Technophobe Rant:

User ease and user friendly capabilities lag the INCREDIBLE advances in computer technology by orders of magnitude.

It would seem that useful programs for organizing and using sheet music on a tablet should be soooo super easy for these tablets that can stream videos, run virtual reality, power robots, land spaceships on Mars............

So, in 2011 I bought an iPad 2. The primary reason that I bought the iPad 2 was to put all my music at my fingertips, neatly organized, easily accessible. This should be SO EASY, I thought......just scan the music into PDF files and put the PDF files on the iPad 2.

Eventually I did achieve my goal. sort of. It was not an easy path. I believe that it is now much easier with the newer iPads. Maybe.

And then about 2 years ago, downloading one of the iPad operating system updates WIPED OUT MY WHOLE IBOOKS LIBRARY.

I was (I still am) DEVASTATED.

I spent HOURS on the phone with Apple reps. They eventually worked me up the pipeline to one of the senior senior super troubleshooting reps. We did "Screensharing" with both iMac and iPad. All the reps were befuddled, because not one of them could find a way to transfer pdfs from the iMac to the iPad. The functionality was lost. The techs had me update operating systems on both the iMac and the iPad. There is only one way to get the sheet music pdfs back on the iPad: email the pdfs to myself and then download them from my email on my iPad to iBooks. And the big problem is that gmail limits the size of pdfs to way smaller than most of the pdfs that I have. I went from having most of my scanned library of music at my fingertips to having only about 2 % of my library back on the iPad. I went from using my iPad to read music EVERY day to hardly using it at all.

This is an example of the problems that I have experienced with computers in MULTIPLE ways over the past 4 decades, including numerous on-line medical records systems, web site transactions etc.: Technology NOT working the way that it is supposed to work. Programs crashing. "Upgrades" wreaking havoc on systems. Lost information.

For all the truly wonderful things that computer technology does FOR us, the time wasting and frustrations when things don't work right, or when how to accomplish something is so non-intuitive that the un-initiated will NEVER figure it out is MADDENING, DANGEROUS, DAMAGING.
All of my work is backed up to Dropbox via Songbook. If I update my iPad, it syncs with Dropbox and the update shows up on my phone too. If my iPad breaks, I can download songbook and Dropbox, login and synch everything in a few minutes.

Sorry you lost your files, but moving forward, Dropbox is a big help.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-09-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Hey, "The Kid", thank you for your suggestions!

I will check out Songbook.

Fortunately, I did not lose the pdf files. They are still on my iMac, with back up copies on 4 separate hard drives, 1 at home, 1 at work, and the other 2 safely stored in separate geographical areas over 500 miles from here and over 500 miles from each other.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I also "joined" Dropbox last year in order to have another secure set of backups that could be accessed anywhere from any device. Since my scanned PDF files are over 6 GB, I rapidly hit the limit of the free dropbox account of 2.5 GB, and Dropbox locked my account. I could pay them for more storage, but don't want to do that.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:43 PM

I have a song list of about 65 songs on three instruments, in the order I generally play them for a two hour set. I also have the lyrics to about six songs I am unsure of. I created the song list on Microsoft Excel and imported that into MS Word, after which (on the same document) I added all the orphan lyrics.

I then imported that one Word document into Apple Pages (which the ipad reads). This creates one big document that can be scrolled down with one finger. Pages lives in the cloud so it downloads right into the ipad. The originals can be edited in the MS programs in my computer or in Pages (though I am less familiar with that program).

So in the end I have a single Pages document on the ipad that can be navigated very quickly with one finger. I do not attempt to put sheet music on this, just song titles and a few sets of lyrics.

The ipad lives on a clamp on the mike stand, getting power from the same power strip that is feeding the pedals.

This is a big improvement over my large three ring binder on a music stand.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 09-20-2018, 04:22 PM

Old 09-21-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Boy do I feel lucky after reading this! I played in bands until I was 45+ but started playing solo when I was 42. Now I play 250 or so dates a year, mostly in Senior and Healthcare facilities. But occasional parties, art shows, benefits etc.
I have a couple hundred songs memorized and use no electricity at all for most of my performances. I don't even make a set list and haven't done so for decades. If I make a mistake, and I make plenty, I tell a joke! Or three...
How do you get a pro musician off your porch?
Pay him for the pizza, and he will go away...
If I am learning a song I just write it out in long hand a few times and it helps it sink into the aged Grey matter.
Carry on gang and make music however you can!
Cheers
Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-21-2018, 09:58 AM

iPad and forScore here. I have it on two iPads, and I can have all the same songs and data synched between the two. I can then mirror the two pads (or more if I had them) in a master/slave configuration so my Gal and I can play off of two iPads. Plus I have a foot controller that I can bump from pages. My only complaint is the menu system is kind of odd

I’d switch to OnSong but I have almost 300 songs in it and I’d have to re-enter composers, keys, genre all over. I did this once when I moved from another app to forScore and i don’t want to do it again.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made

Last edited by Scootch; 09-21-2018 at 12:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic