The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-25-2018, 08:41 AM

Default Upgrade to Audio-Technica AT2020

Hi, I record at home for fun. We use my wife's macbook pro to record the videos. I'm not too fused about the video to be honest as the sound is more important.

We currently have the Audio-Technica AT2020. What would be an upgrade to this that won't brake the bank. Maybe 200euros area (?).

Thanks

As a side question, would having two microphones, the Audio-Technica AT2020 and a new one, be better for recording vocals and guitar? Could I do this easily on audacity?

You will probably notice, if you watch any of my videos, that I normally just place the mic somewhere near the guitar, i.e. I don't know much about recording.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 08-25-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

There are endless mics to choose from. If you like the 2020, the nice thing about Audio-technica is that they have entire line of similar mics that just get better and better as you move up the number chain. A 4033 is a popular one, for example. With multiple mics you can certainly do things with mic placement, whether stereo setups, or separate vocal mics. (There's tons of info on the internet about mic placement and home recording) However, your videos sound fine as-is. What is it you want to improve?
Old 08-25-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
There are endless mics to choose from. If you like the 2020, the nice thing about Audio-technica is that they have entire line of similar mics that just get better and better as you move up the number chain. A 4033 is a popular one, for example. With multiple mics you can certainly do things with mic placement, whether stereo setups, or separate vocal mics. (There's tons of info on the internet about mic placement and home recording) However, your videos sound fine as-is. What is it you want to improve?
Hi Doug, thanks for the reply.

What I notice the most is that I feel that the videos don't pick up as much as I do (my ears) from my guitar. Deeper lows, and better trebles when higher up the neck, for example. Maybe I'm being picky.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Hi Doug, thanks for the reply.

What I notice the most is that I feel that the videos don't pick up as much as I do (my ears) from my guitar. Deeper lows, and better trebles when higher up the neck, for example. Maybe I'm being picky.
You might get a bigger sound by micing closer and possibly in stereo, although that opens up more complexity with recording vocals. You might check out Fran Guidry's demo of guitar/vocal with 2 mics:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...figure-8-mics/
Old 08-25-2018, 04:37 PM

I would upgrade to the Audio-Technica AT3035 if you can find one.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You might get a bigger sound by micing closer and possibly in stereo, although that opens up more complexity with recording vocals. You might check out Fran Guidry's demo of guitar/vocal with 2 mics:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...figure-8-mics/
Thanks for the link

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD