The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
How old do you think the guys in Led Zeppelin were when they started? All in their twenties. Robert Plant was 20.
These guys have talent for sure but unless they can get a couple of hits, it won't matter. Sorry to sound so pessimistic but I remember the band "Extreme" in the late eighties, early nineties.
I still have their CD "III Sides to Every Story", unbelievable stuff. You may know them by the single "More Than Words." These guys were an uber-talented rock band and very young as well. If you want to hear something amazing, listen to that album.Their success was probably categorized as mediocre at best and I think they were better than Greta VanFleet. Just sayin'.

It is also a different time. I also remember having that Extreme cassette and how good they were. But GVF are reviving something that was considered a thing of the past that would never make a comeback, and that makes them fresh and special. Extreme was around a time when rock was shifting from the glam era to the Seattle invasion. They didn’t adjust, and became a one-hit wonder band even though they were much better than that.

And right now there’s a lot of better bands than GVF, but you need more than talent to make it in music. These kids have that “it” factor, they’ll only get bigger from here on.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:15 PM

I've heard them a few times on the radio, 2 days ago being the most recent. Great vibe for sure. Zeppelin flavor not by accident.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
How old do you think the guys in Led Zeppelin were when they started? All in their twenties. Robert Plant was 20.
These guys have talent for sure but unless they can get a couple of hits, it won't matter. Sorry to sound so pessimistic but I remember the band "Extreme" in the late eighties, early nineties.
I still have their CD "III Sides to Every Story", unbelievable stuff. You may know them by the single "More Than Words." These guys were an uber-talented rock band and very young as well. If you want to hear something amazing, listen to that album.Their success was probably categorized as mediocre at best and I think they were better than Greta VanFleet. Just sayin'.
I know Extreme very well, but I never personally never thought they were great. To each their own though.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-22-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I wanted to revive this thread because, frankly, they are leading the new wave of young rock musicians.

The comparison to Plant is universal, but Plant himself loves their music. I do not think they are copying Zep. They are bringing in all kinds of new influences, their guitar is heavier, the singing is more acrobatic than Plants, the kid has pipes to die for.

Here is Robert Plant on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePIAaQwYMaM

The drum and bass work is influenced by both blues and contemporary pop, the guitar solo work is meandeing and not nearly up to Page, but they are still young.

The composition is tight, solid and entertaining. Fantastic riff on this song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86_vnQc1oBE

If you don't get shivers listening to this then you might as well watch Lawrence Welk...
I like GVF and Zep, but Plant seems to be tongue and cheek in that interview.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-22-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I like GVF and Zep, but Plant seems to be tongue and cheek in that interview.

Lol Plant says the kid is a beautiful singer, and then cheekily says “I hate him”. Him saying they sound exactly like LZ1, is as much of a compliment as him basically saying that was no accident. Most of all, his misses his youth.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've heard them a few times on the radio, 2 days ago being the most recent. Great vibe for sure. Zeppelin flavor not by accident.
Listen to more of their work. One or two songs are Zepish.

They do a ton of other influences, including long jams, drum solos.

Face it, they are harder, smarter, more lively and more in tune with the times now. They are not Zep, they are much more heavy than that.

Listen to more that Safari or When the Curtain falls to dig into their catalogue. THey sound very little like Zep when you go deeper.

And yeh, this kid is better than Plant was. Tis true. Plant TRIED to do what this kid can do. Listen to a ton of their stuff. He uses his voice as a lead instrument. Plant touched on that....but this guy takes it and runs..

Think Janis Joplin,, the use of harmonic overtones in the voice...
Old 09-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Hard to compare flavor-of-the-month to giants like LZ .

Let them grow up and do their own thing; they seem capable .

What hearing them made me want to do was go listen to LZ
Old 09-23-2018, 03:42 PM

I'll check this thread again in another 6 months...

Meanwhile, I haven't read anything about them, whether written by a detractor or an advocate, that doesn't continuously bring up Led Zep...

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sings like a duck...
Old 09-24-2018, 07:32 AM

I think you might be just doing what your parents did. "oh, we had Benny Goodman", when you tried to share Miles Davis with them.

Face it, new music is coming which improves upon the old. This generation has its own sound, much to the dismay of grandpa severe.

D.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:55 AM

Benny Goodman and Miles Davis...Benny's heyday was before my time, but I do remember Miles being on a really creative roll when I was fairly young...

I don't however, recall any of my elders saying about Miles Davis "Oh, he sounds just like Benny Goodman back in my time…"

And as I always say, music appreciation is subjective and purely personal opinion...but we can all hang out and sing & dance on the same lawn...
Old 09-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Those guys better watch out messing around in that neighborhood. The Gorn will get them.
Quote:
If you don't get shivers listening to this then you might as well watch Lawrence Welk...
Hmmm... The penultimate insult. Next it will be Godwin's law. The same insult came up when I admitted I don't like U2, but that was back in the '80s. And I still don't like U2. Except "Pride in the Name of Love," which I liked back then.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 09-24-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: syntax
Old 09-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I think you might be just doing what your parents did. "oh, we had Benny Goodman", when you tried to share Miles Davis with them.

Face it, new music is coming which improves upon the old. This generation has its own sound, much to the dismay of grandpa severe.

D.
Yeah, that's one kind of thing people say.

Another is, "If you don't dig this band it's because you are uncool and don't appreciate good music."
Old 09-24-2018, 11:49 AM

Anyone remember Wolf Mother?

Me neither.

Good luck GVF.

I listen to Benny Goodman AND Miles Davis. I prefer Be-Bop, but Gene Kruppa was/is a monster drummer. I love playing along to Sing Sing Sing. Someday I'll get it right.

Some great drummers passed thru those guys.

Last edited by Johnny K; 09-24-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:54 PM

Hey, there is one only one Plant. No one, ever, will master what he did.

But these kids are bringing the best of what he contributed back and keeping it alive.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Hey, there is one only one Plant. No one, ever, will master what he did.

But these kids are bringing the best of what he contributed back and keeping it alive.
Page's playing and writing stand the test of time, too. There's relatively a lot of subtlety on a LZ album, compared to a lot of bands that just stomp through everything. Lately my player has been giving me their Black Mountain Side, and Bert Jansch 's Black Water Side . Such an interesting contrast of what is basically the same piece of music. We all know Page was an expert "borrower" , but I like to hear how he re-worked it.
Bert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkX7Q2J7k48

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic