The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-24-2018, 05:58 PM

Buffed and ready for assembly

Last edited by antsdmb; 08-26-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:53 AM

Almost there. Congrats.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:41 PM

Sorry guys...work has consumed me the past few weeks. I should have this beauty on Friday! That will give me the weekend to put it through its paces

Old 09-19-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Prepare to be stunned. John has really nailed it in the last several years. If he put his name on bottled water at this point I’d probably buy it.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

What a gorgeous instrument ! Lovely, simple lines and beautiful woods, very luscious indeed ! Enjoy your weekend, and don't forget to get at least a few hours' sleep, ok?
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 09-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Looks absolutely stunning!! Congrats, you are going to really enjoy it.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 AM

Thanks, guys! Sorry for the photo quality....John's version(s) were much more higher in quality. Today should be the day. Full report when I resurface from getting to know her.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

PRIMO...! Congrats.... enjoy the weekend
Old 09-21-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

What a fantastic guitar! You’re going to have a great weekend. Keep us posted.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:54 PM

So I’m thinking of getting a Heinonen with the same woods. Though I’ve never played that combo. My two guitars are EIR with a Sitka and Eng tops. How different is ziricote? Should I stick with EIR? I love harmonics and overtones. This guitar is stunning and looks similar to size in my guitar I play the most, EIR and Sitka. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

What stunning woods and even more stunning work ... love it!
Old 04-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

John’s guitars are superlative in every way. The photos show the perfection of his fit, finish, and detail.

But wait until you strum it for the first time. His guitars sound like pianos, with rich, full voices.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 05-01-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone0305 View Post
So I’m thinking of getting a Heinonen with the same woods. Though I’ve never played that combo. My two guitars are EIR with a Sitka and Eng tops. How different is ziricote? Should I stick with EIR? I love harmonics and overtones. This guitar is stunning and looks similar to size in my guitar I play the most, EIR and Sitka. Thanks!
Lots of factors come into play when deciding on tonewoods. The most important factor probably is that Heinonen and Circa Guitars are very different tonally to start off with. Circa is more towards the traditional/vintage Martin camp of sounds while Heinonen is more of the modern camp of sound.

In general, Ziricote is very Rosewoody but in my experience they tend to have a little less overtones and reverb as a true Rosewood. However it is clearer than EIR which can be muddy to my ears. I shall drop you an email so as to not derail this thread.

Congratulations OP on that stunning new Circa! Love myself a gorgeous set of Ziricote

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone0305 View Post
The responses you've received are pretty accurate. I am AWFUL at describing tone. I find ziricote (I've owned a few) to be pretty rosewoody in tone with a bit more zing and less overtones. It's not a cocobolo type zing, but a different style zing. The decay is a bit quicker. Visually, I love it but this guitar has easily been the best one I have owned with ziricote back and sides. I would recommend finding a nice quartered set if you can to promote stability. In the right builders hands, I would trust it. Ask Drew what he recommends based on your wants and needs and go for it. Trusting the builder is the best way to go in my opinion.

This guitar is easily in the top 2 of any I have ever owned. It is utterly amazing and handles anything. I am cringing a little bit as my wife and I have had something unfortunate and unexpected pop up at home that MAY force me to sell this. I am really really hoping that is not the case. If anyone has interest you can send me a PM and we can converse. I should know something in the next 2 weeks. :/ John raised his prices somewhat recently (very well deserved) and I would price this based on his old prices when I ordered.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Lots of factors come into play when deciding on tonewoods. The most important factor probably is that Heinonen and Circa Guitars are very different tonally to start off with. Circa is more towards the traditional/vintage Martin camp of sounds while Heinonen is more of the modern camp of sound.

In general, Ziricote is very Rosewoody but in my experience they tend to have a little less overtones and reverb as a true Rosewood. However it is clearer than EIR which can be muddy to my ears. I shall drop you an email so as to not derail this thread.

Congratulations OP on that stunning new Circa! Love myself a gorgeous set of Ziricote

Thanks! I would appreciate that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop