The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Yamaha CS40 for an adult - me only

Today while roaming around our local Mall I came accross a small guitar that fits my hand nicely. A Yamaha CS40 with a 22 3/4 inch scale. I purchased it for
myself even tho it is a child size guitar. Sounds good and is easy to play with nylon strings. I can no longer play a full size classical guitar due to hand/wrist issues. Am I the only old adult to do this or do many adults play on these smaller models?

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 09-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySmash View Post
Today while roaming around our local Mall I came accross a small guitar that fits my hand nicely. A Yamaha CS40 with a 22 3/4 inch scale. I purchased it for
myself even tho it is a child size guitar. Sounds good and is easy to play with nylon strings. I can no longer play a full size classical guitar due to hand/wrist issues. Am I the only old adult to do this or do many adults play on these smaller models?
Though I also play many full size steel and nylon strung guitars, I very much enjoy playing my 2 Cordoba Mini nylon acoustics as well as my Yamaha CSF1M and 2 Composite Acoustics Cargo short scale steel strings. In fact, I've been working up a solo acoustic cover project with a looper ala Ed Sheerhan... where I play nothing but the latter three acoustics. Playing bulky acoustic guitars in a live setting sometimes gets tiring. And when you're amplifying them anyways, then there is no need to play the big stuff. These short scale guitars are really a pleasure to play because they're so comfortable.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:44 PM

I have left hand issues so the smaller short scale instruments appeal to me as well. I have a Taylor GS mini which I find easy to play. I am anxiously awaiting my Cordoba Mini II, new model bigger body than the original and 23" scale length.

Then there are the 20+ ukuleles that I own. Kinda speaks for itself really
Old 09-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
I have left hand issues so the smaller short scale instruments appeal to me as well. I have a Taylor GS mini which I find easy to play. I am anxiously awaiting my Cordoba Mini II, new model bigger body than the original and 23" scale length.

Then there are the 20+ ukuleles that I own. Kinda speaks for itself really
I'll be getting a Mini II or two when my LGS gets them in. I know that I want the electric cutaway version with striped ebony, and will likely get a regular non-cutaway as well.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I'll be getting a Mini II or two when my LGS gets them in. I know that I want the electric cutaway version with striped ebony, and will likely get a regular non-cutaway as well.
I have the spruce ebony cutaway on order so it looks like our tastesrun similar. It is the o ly one with a solid top so that was a no-brainer pick for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical