The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Default The Old Log Train - Hank Williams SOTW#1

Well thanks to Kyle's friendly persuading, I am going to commit to join the Song Of The Week club for 2012. I'm terrified, but here goes.

I would love any and all feedback that you'd like to offer. My goal is to improve my singing, playing, and performance. I would like each song to have dynamic interest, variety in sound, and just be enjoyable to listen to. Any suggestions on how I can improve would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize for the poor quality of the audio and video. I've got an H4N on a Purolator truck somewhere, so that will help. Next up will be something to improve the video quality.

The first song is one of Hank William Sr.'s lesser known songs, The Old Log Train recorded as a demo in 1952 and later recorded on an album. I like the simplicity of the song, it makes it somehow compelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRjtysZbJWk

Have at 'er...

Steve
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Whippersnapper

1 down, 51 to go!

Good, solid start, Steve. I've not had much exposure to and of the Hanks' music, so this one is definitely "new" to me. Intriguing little song, too. As you said, it's simple, but compelling. Just kind of moves along steady like a train on the tracks. I think your performance captured that well. Nothing flashy or fancy, but it doesn't need it. Let the songs do the work. Good stuff.

One quick suggestion to think about as you progress is to relax a bit and smile. This being your first submission I know you're a bit nervous, but even if you have to fake it, a little bit of enjoyment (or whatever emotion fits the song's mood) in your expression can go a long way for your performance.

Thanks for sharing. Peace be the journey!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Steve glad to see that you will be posting weekly. I always look forward to folks posting on the board. This song is moving along nicely.

Bud
Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 PM

I love songs like this, really nice first choice! That guitar part does sound like a train going along, very cool.

Nice playing and singing - maybe just singing louder would be good. I like your voice but it could be a little more firm, more of the "lead" when it needs to be. Probably just doing it more for the camera will help, of course - really looking foreward to how you go about it all.

Also really wondering what types of tunes you have in mind... great to hear an old, lesser-known song like this - hope there's more to come.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscobie8 View Post
1 down, 51 to go!

One quick suggestion to think about as you progress is to relax a bit and smile. This being your first submission I know you're a bit nervous, but even if you have to fake it, a little bit of enjoyment (or whatever emotion fits the song's mood) in your expression can go a long way for your performance.

Thanks for sharing. Peace be the journey!

Bel isi,
-kyle
Thanks for your comments, Kyle. What, I have to pay attention to my facial expression TOO - man this is almost too much BTW how do you get a good case of guitar face going? I will have to pay more attention, and I suppose get more feeling into my face.

Thanks for checking in.

Steve
Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
Thanks for your comments, Kyle. What, I have to pay attention to my facial expression TOO - man this is almost too much BTW how do you get a good case of guitar face going? I will have to pay more attention, and I suppose get more feeling into my face.

Thanks for checking in.

Steve
Haha! If you've seen any of my videos, you know that facial expressions are my expertise. I'd say I'm better at looking goofy than I am at playing guitar!

Of course, by "looking goofy" I mean I'm enjoying the song and am "in the moment", so to speak. Just relax, and let the song flow. I know that makes perfect sense, now. Ha!

Little anecdote: Back in 2006-2007 I spend a year travelling with a missionary team doing music and relational ministry around the US and overseas. The first month was just training for the various aspects of the upcomming year, including concert presentations. My biggest thing to work on was keeping my eyes open while I sing, and they also pushed smiling and having a "positive face" while performing so that the audience or congregation can better connect with you and your message. In short, there aren't too many limits as to what you can practice. Give it time and a little effort. And once you get int the groove of this journey it'll start to work itself out as well.

Cheers!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDSTER View Post
Steve glad to see that you will be posting weekly. I always look forward to folks posting on the board. This song is moving along nicely.

Bud
Thanks for checking out the song, Bud.

Steve
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Nice job. I've always loved the music of Luke the Drifter but must admit that I have not heard this one. Agree, that you need to get the vocals up a bit. Really neat old song and great job on it.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
AGF Administrator

Very nice. As Kyle mentioned just seems you need to relax a bit and get into the song more.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Nice job. I've always loved the music of Luke the Drifter but must admit that I have not heard this one. Agree, that you need to get the vocals up a bit. Really neat old song and great job on it.
Thanks, Ranger. My first response was that I'll have to adjust the recording mix (once I get my H4N), but then I realized that this is what the audience hears live when I'm unplugged, so yes, I guess I'll have to work at pumping up the vocals.

Wow, there really is alot to focus on when you're doing this live (or recorded), isn't there

Thanks for checking in, and thanks for the comments.

Steve
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
Thanks, Ranger. My first response was that I'll have to adjust the recording mix (once I get my H4N), but then I realized that this is what the audience hears live when I'm unplugged, so yes, I guess I'll have to work at pumping up the vocals.

Wow, there really is alot to focus on when you're doing this live (or recorded), isn't there

Thanks for checking in, and thanks for the comments.

Steve
Yes there is, that's why I don't record live very often. When using a video camera or something like an H2, just try raising the unit a tad higher and point it down. You will hit a happy medium in the mix after a few tries.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 01-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlie View Post
I love songs like this, really nice first choice! That guitar part does sound like a train going along, very cool.

Nice playing and singing - maybe just singing louder would be good. I like your voice but it could be a little more firm, more of the "lead" when it needs to be. Probably just doing it more for the camera will help, of course - really looking foreward to how you go about it all.

Also really wondering what types of tunes you have in mind... great to hear an old, lesser-known song like this - hope there's more to come.
Thanks for checking in, Shawlie, and thanks for the comments.

I suppose volume and 'firmness' would sort of go together. I assume you're talking about assertiveness or punchiness?

I'm planning to bring a variety of songs - country, folk, pop, praise & worship, classic rock. The sorts of stuff that will do well for busking and performing.

Steve
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Very nice. As Kyle mentioned just seems you need to relax a bit and get into the song more.
Thanks for listening, Jeremy, and thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like I need to practice a bit focusing on the story line and the feelings, more than just the technical aspects. And relax. Hmnnh. Gotta work on that.

Thanks again,

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
hank williams, log train