The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-03-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Problems - Setting up H2 input for Garageband

Hi all,

First time poster here.

I'm having real difficulty setting up my H2 audio device as an input to Garageband.

In setting up the H2 I have set the USB option to Audio I/F (what does I/F stand for?) and hit connect. Garageband seems to recognize this, but when I try and play my acoustic guitar (with pickup), I get no sound on the recording.
My acoustic is connected to the H2, which itself is plugged into the computer's USB port.

What am I doing wrong? The pickup's battery is charged, I have downloaded the latest software for the H2 and am running the latest version of garageband.

I am trying to record my acoustic guitar as an audio track but can't seem to get past the first hurdle!

Cheers in advance,

Max
Old 11-04-2009, 12:21 PM

You have to set two levels of Preferences. It sounds like you've set the Mac's Preferences; now you must also set the Preferences in GarageBand.

In GarageBand, open Preferences, select "Sound".

you should have 3 choices: built-in microphone, built-in input, or your external device. Select the H2, and you're off!

Enjoy. GB is a fun program.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:32 PM

Hi Max.

I'm not familiar with the H2, and am assuming everything is hooked up correctly. You said the Mac seems to recognize it when you hit connect.

When you start a new project, the default track that's there is a software instrument. You need a live instrument track to record from a USB interface in Garageband.

Have you tried adding a new track and setting it's source to "Real Instrument Track"? If that doesn't work, does Grageband see the USB device? Go to the "Audio/Midi" Tab in Preferences. Check that the Audio Input is set to the H2.

BTW, I think I/F stands for "Interface". Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpercy View Post
Hi all,

First time poster here.

I'm having real difficulty setting up my H2 audio device as an input to Garageband.

In setting up the H2 I have set the USB option to Audio I/F (what does I/F stand for?) and hit connect. Garageband seems to recognize this, but when I try and play my acoustic guitar (with pickup), I get no sound on the recording.
My acoustic is connected to the H2, which itself is plugged into the computer's USB port.

What am I doing wrong? The pickup's battery is charged, I have downloaded the latest software for the H2 and am running the latest version of garageband.

I am trying to record my acoustic guitar as an audio track but can't seem to get past the first hurdle!

Cheers in advance,

Max
I/F = interface

How are you connecting the guitar to the H2?

Do you see activity on the H2 meters when you try to record?

Can your record on the H2 using the same guitar->H2 connection?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-11-2009, 01:41 AM

Thanks rdm, eLPee and Fran,

Sorry about the late response - I've just been visiting a friend in the country (country, western australia). I'll try to address your questions one by one.

http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/af200/mpsalsa/

rdm - Thank you. I have set the input within garageband preferences to the H2. I am still having no luck. Please have a look at the link below to confirm.

eLPee - Thanks too! Each time I begin a new project under "acoustic instrument''. I then go into preferences, check that the input is set to H2, and set the input source to Mono 1 (H2). Please check out the link.

Fran - Thanks The guitar is connected to the H2 via an adaptor. This is I believe a guitar lead connection to a 3.5mm jack, into the H2's line in. Please check out the photos unloaded to photobucket. I can record onto the H2 using this adaptor, but I believe the problem lies in not seeing any activity on the H2 meters when I attempt to record (again, please check out the photos. the photo of the activity meter was taken whilst the guitar strings were being played. As you can see, there seems to be no activity).

All - I believe the problem is tied up with the H2 activity meters showing as dead when I try to run through to garageband. Shouldn't they be running up and down as I record?

Anyway, thanks again and looking forward to your thoughts.

Max

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell