The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 10:35 AM

Default Gigging with two guitars

Hi all.

I'm going to start giving classical guitar gigs in restaurants and bars. But I have thought about also carrying an acoustic guitar, and play two sections. I think this can increase my oportunities. I don't know if you have experience carrying two guitars and an amp.

Greetings
Old 12-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurdillo View Post
Hi all.

I'm going to start giving classical guitar gigs in restaurants and bars. But I have thought about also carrying an acoustic guitar, and play two sections. I think this can increase my oportunities. I don't know if you have experience carrying two guitars and an amp.

Greetings

I've brought 2 guitars to almost every gig I've played in the past 25 years. Sometimes it's to change between sounds/tunings but these days it's usually just to have one as a backup. It's basically second nature for me at this point and it has helped on a number of occasions and has totally saved my butt on a few.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Back up guitar is a good idea. Some will disagree, let the debate begin.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 12-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurdillo View Post
Hi all.

Greetings
Easy solution: carry one of the guitars in a gig bag.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

When I used to do pub and restaurant gigs I took a 6 string, a 12 string and a resonator so when I got bored with singing to the back of people's heads, I just noodle some bottle neck stuff on the reso.

Always went down well, And yes, I had a big p.a. back then.
Wouldn't do it now - in fact I didn't do it for long - good money but it felt like work.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Easy solution: carry one of the guitars in a gig bag.
Even better...carry BOTH (although this one is electric/acoustic)
https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Acousti.../dp/B01MXPXL9D
Old 12-04-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Back up guitar is a good idea. Some will disagree, let the debate begin.
I wasn't aware there was a debate on this. Unless you're strapping your guitar on your back and taking a motorcycle to the gig.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:38 AM

I always take two. Primarily because sometimes my intended guitar just doesn’t feel or sound right. Always good to have a backup.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I am relatively new to gigging (year or so) but always take 2 guitars (Martin 00-28 and Larrivee OM-40) so I have a backup. Both have K&K Pure mini pickup so minor or no amp setting adjustments would be needed if I did switch. Also, I agree with previous posters who noted that it's good to have a 2nd guitar in case your primary just isn't feeling good to you that particular evening (excellent tip). IMHO a backup (plan) is always a good thing no matter what you're doing, and the only extra effort is carrying 1 more guitar in and out of the gig. Cheers!
Old 12-04-2019, 01:18 PM

I take 2 or 3 guitars to most gigs but not for backup. One acoustic, 1 electric and occasionally either an electric or a reso tuned to open G for slide.

I think you are smart to do a couple of different types of music in a gig. Good luck with your gigs!

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I always take two. Primarily because sometimes my intended guitar just doesn’t feel or sound right. Always good to have a backup.
My gigging guitar is a Maton, so it always feels and sounds right . I do have a heavy right hand though, and break strings, so always have a backup with me, as sometimes it's better to grab it, than take time changing a string (especially if you have a full dance floor!). I also do a lot of out of town gigs, so take a spare of everything with me on the road.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Currently, I take my Mark Angus 6 and 12 string guitars to my gigs... there have been times when I've also taken an electric guitar and amp with me, along with my PA system... a few times (out of sheer boredom, I think!), I have taken EVERY guitar I owned to do a gig - 2 acoustics and 2 electrics - definitely overkill, but fun!

Not sure what your question is... obviously, having two guitars will necessitate having two stands for them, two cords, whatever you need for using both guitars. I also bring in my Bose L1 Model II PA most times, along with a mic stand and accessory bag; occasionally, I have a gig that can be served better by using my AER Compact 60, which results in far fewer trips between my car and the stage for set-up and breakdown.

I've not done a gig where I didn't have my car for transport AND had to take amps and multiple guitars... if this is what concerns you, there are guitar cases and gig bags that have shoulder straps that would enable you to carry much more at one time...

So long as you are accomplished on both guitars and styles, I would think that a bit of variety would be a very good thing!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-04-2019, 01:58 PM

I do acoustic and electric (about 2/3 to 1/3 ratio). Two to three hours of all acoustic can start to sound a lot the same, no matter how you vary styles and tempos. I like have the variety, and with electric you can really mix it up from jangly clean to smooth jazzy to down-and-dirty tones, depending on the song. It just makes for a nice change of pace.

I know a lot of folks like to travel light, but since I'm already loading in a couple speakers, speaker, mic and guitar stands, a small mixer, cables etc., one more guitar and an effects pedal aren't that much more to lug in.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:59 PM

A backup is a good idea. Especially good if you are using different tunings.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-04-2019, 02:01 PM

I try to have a backup for pretty much everything that is likely to fail/break at some point.

2 guitars (one flattop, one arch-top) .
2 amps (one vintage tube amp, one cheap solid state, left in the car just in case).
An extra powered speaker.
Extra cables of all types.
Extra microphone.

I do not carry two mixers. And, don't you just know it? My mixer failed during a gig not long ago, requiring me to plug everything into one powered speaker.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion